The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phonicsdude
Actually, I, like Dreama have a real passion for the law. I realise that I am an exception insofar as becoming an academic is rather appealing, but youir point is moot. You cannot choose to undertake one of the most rigourous and challenging undergraduate degrees unless you are motivated by somethingelse other than money.

Totally agreed, Paul. People simply won't go into a three year full time degree course without careful consideration of what law entails - I am fully aware of the course structure and academic commitment required in order to succeed. I have an interest in how society functions, and the basis behind it - and I personally have a real interest in how it affects individual cases and impacts on society as a whole. Just look at the trade situation with regards to the WTO and World Bank - and several of their rulings (e.g. Chiquita). There is a fascinating impact as the consequences spread out throughout the world.

I personally believe law is one of the most fulfilling and interesting degrees available.
Reply 21
Phonicsdude
Actually, I, like Dreama

Aww, I like you too. :biggrin:

(*deletes the comma*)
Reply 22
Lottelo
Totally agreed, Paul. People simply won't go into a three year full time degree course without careful consideration of what law entails - I am fully aware of the course structure and academic commitment required in order to succeed. I have an interest in how society functions, and the basis behind it - and I personally have a real interest in how it affects individual cases and impacts on society as a whole. Just look at the trade situation with regards to the WTO and World Bank - and several of their rulings (e.g. Chiquita). There is a fascinating impact as the consequences spread out throughout the world.

I personally believe law is one of the most fulfilling and interesting degrees available.

It seems, and please, do correct me if I am wrong on this, that all the members who, like you, appear to be infatuated with the law to such an extent as to consider my point "moot" have yet to commence a law degree and have yet to be surrounded by people who are not that keen on the finer points of the law and whose interest concentrates, for the most part, in which law firm is holding drinks reception where and when. Although, I sincerely hope that your fervent interest in the subject will ripen with time, it is possible that your position may change after a year or two.

In any case, a law degree is, like any other, as challenging as you want it to be. Some people study for modest amounts of time and yet manage to get good (in some cases, brilliant) grades, whilst others find it necessary, in order to feed their spirit, to study 5 times harder, sometimes to better results, sometimes not.
Reply 23
otnemem
It seems, and please, do correct me if I am wrong on this, that all the members who, like you, appear to be infatuated with the law to such an extent as to consider my point "moot" have yet to commence a law degree and have yet to be surrounded by people who are not that keen on the finer points of the law and whose interest concentrates, for the most part, in which law firm is holding drinks reception where and when. Although, I sincerely hope that your fervent interest in the subject will ripen with time, it is possible that your position may change after a year or two.

You're right :smile: Our positions may change..
I like Dreama, like Dreama likes dreams. :biggrin:

I hope I dont become as cynical as you Otnemem. You do however have a good point. I used to have a good friend (who used to post on here indeed - and make up users to agree with himself...loser) whose soul aim in life is to get rich. He thought he would be able to do that easily through becoming a lawyer. As it was only sheffield (decent uni) accepted him, and a host of more prestigious unis rejected him (cambridge, UCL, Kings...). His grades were similar to mine, and i like to think that the admissions tutors saw through his pretentious know-it-all guise. Alas Im sure there are those like him who slip through the net. A pity.

Undoubtedly our views will change when we have 100 gobbledegook law cases to read through, in half the time it takes to read them. But our intentions are pure: see Lotello's point about genuine interest in how the law shapes society.
Reply 25
Phonicsdude
I like Dreama, like Dreama likes dreams. :biggrin:

*Giggles like a schoolgirl*
Still, the fact that remains that those who have no motivation for law as a academic disclipine are unlikely to achieve highly on their degree ... perhaps denying them access to the best jobs, which pay the most ...
Reply 27
Lottelo
Still, the fact that remains that those who have no motivation for law as a academic disclipine are unlikely to achieve highly on their degree ... perhaps denying them access to the best jobs, which pay the most ...

Bingo! :biggrin:
Lottelo

good point. see? the world balances itself out in the end :wink:
Reply 29
Lawz-
1. The notion that working in the US AUTOMATICALLY leads to a higher salary is mistaken:

a) Its not that east to get into BIGLAW from a 2nd or 3rd tier US law school. In fact its VERY hard - so the 125k + bonus isnt exactly guaranteed

b) THere are US firms in the UK who pay the same level of salary

c) In the US You come out of university with far more debt, the payments on which will eat into that big salary...

Bang on, especially the last point. I got into Harvard and Columbia when I applied a couple of years ago. I didn't get any financial aid so turned them down and went to law school in the UK following graduation. I would be ~$120k out of pocket after 3 years at those schools instead of CPE + LPC fees paid + £5k maintenance p/a for 2 years at my US firm which pays a monster salary anyway. Yes, I know $100k in NY is like £100k in London but the idea of having debt the size of a mortgage was scary.

I don't regret my decision and I don't know many people who would sneer at MC rates anyway (although I agree they're a tad on the low side compared to US firms but we all know that's because MC partners are w*****s and US firms have higher profits). :wink:
Vitriol01
Bang on, especially the last point. I got into Harvard and Columbia when I applied a couple of years ago. I didn't get any financial aid so turned them down and went to law school in the UK following graduation. I would be ~$120k out of pocket after 3 years at those schools instead of CPE + LPC fees paid + £5k maintenance p/a for 2 years at my US firm which pays a monster salary anyway. Yes, I know $100k in NY is like £100k in London but the idea of having debt the size of a mortgage was scary.

I don't regret my decision and I don't know many people who would sneer at MC rates anyway (although I agree they're a tad on the low side compared to US firms but we all know that's because MC partners are w*****s and US firms have higher profits). :wink:

I'm actually not American, I'm Canadian. And I'm not entirely motivated by money, but was concerned that, law being an undergraduate degree in the UK, lawyers would be a dime a dozen the same way as political "scientists" are here in Canada.

I've completed an undergraduate degree, and would hardly consider the education fit to sustain any profession. I stated monetary concerns to ensure that law in the UK is not a minimum-wage profession, and because I do believe that earning 3X as much is a draw for anyone, regardless if they are money grubbing or not.

And one more thing, salaries in the US are not solely based on school-rankings, but rather, on ranking in your class, and location of the school. Cardozo might be ranked 58th, but because of its affiliations with New York firms Cardozo graduates earn a very high starting salary (assuming they stay in NY).

Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards the UK because I much prefer London to New York, and UK to US overall. I believe Canadians despise Americans more than the British could ever hope to (we are their NEIGHBORS.... thats right, WE SHARE A BORDER.. there is no escaping them).

Take care.
Reply 31
I love Americans. No-one else pays any attention to the NFL. I mention Tom Brady here and people are like "WTF, who?" :p:
Reply 32
otnemem

In any case, a law degree is, like any other, as challenging as you want it to be. Some people study for modest amounts of time and yet manage to get good (in some cases, brilliant) grades, whilst others find it necessary, in order to feed their spirit, to study 5 times harder, sometimes to better results, sometimes not.

I aree wih otnemen, a law degree is mostly stressfull and boring cramming of info into ones head, and i in fact am only stidying law because of the career opportunities and because i am an argumentative get. the only people with a passion for law become academics and often become distracted by the philosophy, those who practice law may enjoy the argument or being clever or even want to help people (in small numbers) though those who want to help would probably serve better by being nurses, but the pay is less, so that argument is defeated anyway. Really the point is do law for the job not for the love because when the love runs out whatta u got?

Latest

Trending

Trending