The Student Room Group

Help Planning task, leaves

Now, we have four different types of leaves. We need to find out if they all contain the same pigments. Some are of different shades. I know that this chromatography and I know the procedure, but how will I predict that all the leaves contain the same thing or do not contain the same pigments.

I know a lot of chemistry and I top my classes but I'm a more moles, titration, reactions kinda guy. Help, please.

Thanks.
Dexnell
Now, we have four different types of leaves. We need to find out if they all contain the same pigments. Some are of different shades. I know that this chromatography and I know the procedure, but how will I predict that all the leaves contain the same thing or do not contain the same pigments.

I know a lot of chemistry and I top my classes but I'm a more moles, titration, reactions kinda guy. Help, please.

Thanks.

Presumably if the leaves are differnent shades, there will at least be different ratios of several types of cholorphyll. I don't know how you would make a prediction as I can't imagine where you'd get the information from, but perhaps you could say they will be different?
Sorry not to be of much help.
Reply 2
They are green leaves by the way.

And we're just suppose to say how we'd find out but try and predict an answer. I'll but that they will be different because of the different shades and have different Rf values. What would be a variable in this experiment.

Thanks
Reply 3
But wouldn't it contain the same pigments but just different Rf value?
Just wondering before I formally write up my lab.
Well the variable is the type of leaf you are using, and that's the only one I think.

Yes the pigments will have different Rf values, and it is possible some leaves will not have some pigments, although it is also possible they're just in different concentrations.

I think the pigments you'll get are (with rf values):
carotene - 1
xanthophyll - 0.615
chlorophyll a - 0.340
chlorophyll b - 0.231
Reply 5
Well, all green leaves have chlorophyll, I know that. I think i'll go with because they all have a different shade there will have different concentrations of pigments. I'm a bit confused though. The average green leaf, should expect to have those four pigments right? I've tested an average leaf already and I got all the colours. I'll try some darker leaves and stuff and see what happens.
Reply 6
Anybody?

Do all green leaves contain the same pigment, even with different shades. What does the shade mean, is it to do with photosynthesis.

Thanks
Dexnell
Dexnell
Anybody?

Do all green leaves contain the same pigment, even with different shades. What does the shade mean, is it to do with photosynthesis.

Thanks
Dexnell

They will all contain 2 types of chlorophyll, as these apply to different parts in the cycle. The other pigments I don't know.
Reply 8
I think i'm going with the same but with different concentrations. I'll have to find a biology book too.

Latest

Trending

Trending