The Student Room Group
Yes, you get tutorials at York, or so they told me at the open day yesterday. The guy also mentioned two major essays per term. Other than that, I can't help much as I'm in a similar position. :smile:
do any universities other than oxbridge have "supervision" style lessons with 2-3 people for English?
York were saying that they had something similar, and most universities have small group teachings for English which is just discussion. But, as far as I know, Oxbridge tutorials stand apart somewhat.
Reply 4
The supervision system is marvellous, but very hard to export. Last term I had six supervisors, and would generally have about four or five supervisions a week, one-on-one for an hour with a supervisor in literature, philosophy, language, or history, and all of my supervisors were lecturers or professors, not merely grad students: it's wonderful for the student, but it places quite a strain on teaching resources, and takes up a great deal of time. The newer universities, which lack the same highly evolved collegiate structure, would probably find it almost impossible to give undergraduates this amount of personal attention. I heard not that long ago that even Oxford was thinking of cutting back on it a little bit, by having more supervisions conducted by graduate supervisors.
Reply 5
What was your impression of the English dept? Who was giving the presentation? Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the info guys :smile: sorry for hijacking your thread millie :redface: Will go away now and leave you to it!
Millie
What was your impression of the English dept? Who was giving the presentation? Any comments greatly appreciated.

Check this thread out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t103425.html

Latest

Trending

Trending