The Student Room Group

A2 Design Technology: Product Design - Revision Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
s_p22
i dont understand the part (c)

features suitable for development..

what does that mean??

think thats to do with your design ideas :/ so after you have drawn up and annotated your first lot of sketches then that bit is analysing how well you pick out the best ideas? and then how well you justify these choices.
Anyone here doing the Edexcel Graphic Materials exam tomorrow?
Reply 42
richmitch2
think thats to do with your design ideas :/ so after you have drawn up and annotated your first lot of sketches then that bit is analysing how well you pick out the best ideas? and then how well you justify these choices.

so...develop a few of the initial ideas but annotate more and justify.
richmitch2

no!!!!

you pick out features ... like parts of you idea

say if u did a box with decoration on it you pick that decoration and then explain it in more detail
i need some help with my specification points anyone got any good ones i hit writers block
Reply 45
Viking_snail, I live Northampton too, you go to Duston it says, I go to NSB, that's well random ahaha.
Reply 46
nitta_natta
i need some help with my specification points anyone got any good ones i hit writers block

function
target market
material
size manufacture
ergonomics
aesthetics
cost
@Stew - cool, I imagine you're gonna do far better at NSB than me at Duston :P What middle school did ya go to?

Does anyone have the UMS marks available and grade boundaries for the 2 exams this morning (2524 01 and 02) and the coursework?
How did everyone find it???
Reply 49
I found it okay, it was such a rush though. For the first part, I did questions 1 and 3 (the wooden table and ABS drill one) and then did Q4 in the design ideas (the kitchen accessories). There was literally no time to think, just basically putting as much as possible down, you would think 2 hours 30 minutes is plenty of time, but it isn't!

In that exam, I need at least 70/120 for a B overall (presuming no marks need to be adjusted in my coursework - got 131/180 in that), impossible for me to get an A, and I need 10/120 for a C, so hopefully I got a B, which is what I need! What about everyone else?
it was a killer i did the first question and the last
most of the things on the paper most of are group hadn't covered and everyone came out of it knowing that they have failed
thanks god im good at the drawing part and i did the childrens clock.
i found it rushed for time 2
did anyone else find this paper really hard??
Reply 51
I didn't find it hard, just really rushed. There is just so much to write and draw, I just felt I could have done with an extra 30 minutes to really have a nice quality exam. My teachers when we were revising in class decided to concentrate on wood, plastics, paper and card so we have a variety of questions to pick, and decided to ignore textiles and metals.

How many design ideas did you do for your clock? I did two ideas for my kitchen accessories using up both the A3 sheets provided for them, my teachers said it would be ideal to do three, but there simply wasn't enough time, and I decided it would be better to have two nice quality drawings then three rushed ones.
I found it quite tough.. the design ideas one wasn't too bad, but my last sheet (the developments) was incredibly rushed as I only had just under 10 mins left!
The theory one was pretty horrible. I did questions 1 and 3, and I answered them as best I could but I feel I got it totally wrong! I tried my best to revise, but when you've had no theory lessons in the past 2 years it's not gonna go well!

I haven't got a clue what I need in this exam really. For the three sections last year I got 56/90, 87/120 and 72/90. I haven't been told my coursework mark this year, but my teacher reckons it's an A.
How did I need to do in the exam to get an A, B or C overall?
Reply 53
Well adding all those three up is 215/300, which is a B. If say you got borderline A in your coursework (you should have been told really as it helps to know how well you need to do in the exam), that would be 144/180, so now you would be on 359/480, with 120 more marks left in this exam.

The whole A-level is out of 600, and it is 480/600 for an A, 420/600 for a B, 360/600 for a C, etc. So it looks like you are already on a C, however it looks like it is very hard to get an A for you, you would need an outstanding coursework as well as a decent exam. This was all presuming you got borderline A in your coursework though.
Yeah, it would be helpful to have the coursework mark. My teacher said unless the exam board are seriously harsh, I'll have an A.

So pressuming I got a borderline A in my coursework, then I only need a mark or so in this exam to get a C? That's not bad, although the exam wasn't great I think I can manage that! :P
I'm not expecting an A, and after today I'm certain I won't get it - but I'd really like a B. Hmm, half marks on the exam today.. I reckon it's gonna be close! At least I should be safe with a C, and that's ok :smile:

Thanks for your help!
Reply 55
nitta_natta
How did everyone find it???

I think a few of the questions were hard. I couldn't decide what paper to do first for a moment. An extra 30 mins on the drawing paper would have been good.
Reply 56
Hey phobia27, I am almost in the exact same position as you are in!.. Except I have to get a B in product to get into uni :s-smilie:
I chose to draw the clocks but found the time just went so quickly that I had no choice but to leave the last page blank...

I just hope for all of us that the grade boundaries stay as low, if not lower than last june!
I have got my product design exam in may, any revision links or information for AQA Unit 1?
Reply 58
lauren_tolliday
I have got my product design exam in may, any revision links or information for AQA Unit 1?

PROD1 is okay. Just make sure you can recall the steps for a few processes like injection moulding and vac forming and wood lamination and practice quickly and efficiently setting it out so you can do it without thinking really. It gives you time for the diagrams which really add to the clarity of your answer.
All I can say really is that those are the big mark questions and if you learn those you can't go too far wrong. The AQA book isn't much use, I don't think. I found the books in the library and those in school to be loads better and in order!
Reply 59
lauren_tolliday

also, past papers and the 5 mark questions...3 points, 2 expalined, 1 example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending