The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Graphic Design isn't primarily concerned with drawing, but many other disciplines such as photography. You may have to draw for certain units, but I wouldn't worry. Every student has different strengths and your teacher should recognise that. Furthermore, technical execution (the finished work) is often deemed secondary to how you develop your ideas. I didn't study A-Level Graphic Design, but I studied A-Level Art, and even then, many students weren't particularly good drawers, but still did well. Lastly, drawing will always help to articulate and express your ideas. They don't need to be masterpieces, but if you can improve your drawing through this A-Level, it will help you in the future, even as a photographer.
Reply 2
I did a BTEC national diploma in graphic design, and it was always sorta hammered into our heads that drawing is an integral part of graphic design, and i had loads of life drawing in my portfolio for university that only 1 out of 5 interviewers actually bothered to look at. I can't really draw all that well, which has been a downside on some modules such as animation. I do find myself having to come up with alternative ways of creating an idea to avoid having to draw it, so that i can make it look as best as i can. Is graphic design something you're considering for a career path? If so, then I would think your a.s course would be a perfect opportunity to improve said drawing skills, and maybe even find a style that isn't that bad at all. And like Matisse said, drawing will help to get your ideas across much clearer, so some skill is necessary I would think.

You've been accepted on the course so thats the main thing, but i would say consider you're career path before focusing on what you can't do very well compared to what you can do :wink:
Reply 3
*blush*
I did a BTEC national diploma in graphic design, and it was always sorta hammered into our heads that drawing is an integral part of graphic design, and i had loads of life drawing in my portfolio for university that only 1 out of 5 interviewers actually bothered to look at. I can't really draw all that well, which has been a downside on some modules such as animation. I do find myself having to come up with alternative ways of creating an idea to avoid having to draw it, so that i can make it look as best as i can. Is graphic design something you're considering for a career path? If so, then I would think your a.s course would be a perfect opportunity to improve said drawing skills, and maybe even find a style that isn't that bad at all. And like Matisse said, drawing will help to get your ideas across much clearer, so some skill is necessary I would think.

You've been accepted on the course so thats the main thing, but i would say consider you're career path before focusing on what you can't do very well compared to what you can do :wink:

Thanks :smile: I'm not sure if I want it as a career path. I just want to consider it for next year in a.s :smile:
Reply 4
You don't necessarily be a good drawer. I don't really think I am particularly that great at it. My drawings are usually quite sketchy and rough(?), although I'm currently trying to improve on this. Obviously you need to be able to get your ideas down on paper and so should have a basic level are drawing ability. But as others have said just try and improve you're drawing skills.

As Matisse has said graphic design isn't particularly about drawing.
A major part of graphic design is about typography and the way in which text is represented. The idea about grids, layouts and white space, but this is something that you should learn on you're course.
Beethoven 1955 - Josef Müller Brockmann is a good example of good typography in design.

Personally I feel that you're being a bit harsh on yourself by saying your "own style but not as good". You need to find your strengths and use them to your advantage. While you might not be able to draw you might be able to have a good imagination for compositions that you should photograph in a studio environment. A different approach on interpreting briefs. Exploit what you're good at.

So yeah, overall just work on your drawing if you feel you need to but remember there are other outcomes you can produce other than something illustrative. photo montages, booklets, etc etc.

Hope any of that puts you in a better frame of mind.

Latest