The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Economics at LSE probably has best employment prospects?
Reply 2
How about the employment prospects relating to the candiate for once?
Reply 3
NW86
How about the employment prospects relating to the candiate for once?

What do you mean? The OP didn't give a list of courses that they're thinking of studying, they just asked a very broad question of which course has the best employment prospects. Therefore, surely with such a wide scope for suggestions I can suggest absolutely any course?
Reply 4
Medicine?
Though if you flunk then then prospects aren't so good!
Reply 5
klempto
What do you mean? The OP didn't give a list of courses that they're thinking of studying, they just asked a very broad question of which course has the best employment prospects. Therefore, surely with such a wide scope for suggestions I can suggest absolutely any course?

I wasn't really "attacking" (for want of a better phrase) your suggestion. It's just with the great number of threads we see on similiar subjects to this it becomes quite frustrating. A number of people on TSR, especially those who seem to pose questions like this, seem to think that the only way of getting a good job is to get a 1st from a top ten university, while completely failing to note that a strong CV counts for so much more than a degree. Your degree and A levels (to an extent) get your foot in the door, and for that reason a 2:1 is all that is really neccesary, and unfortunetly for some people who don't realise this; for the vast majority of the top 100 graduate employers your degree choice is irrellevant. The extra curricular work on your cv shows you can be a rounded individual, being part of sport teams/socities committee's for example, volunteer work, paid work you've done. Your degree is by no means whatsoever, the be all and end all.

Jesus, that went on much longer than i meant it to heh
RGU has a really good record for employment statistically. its cause there are so many oil jobs in aberdeen though so students just walk into jobs when they finish
Reply 7
If you're referring to the creative industries, it's difficult to generalise or rely on statistics, because every graduate and/or candidate is different and each agency or studio, especially within advertising or publishing, differ in size and what they require. The best indicator would be a course or university that employs guest tutors that are actively working in the industry and those that provide work placements with reputable firms throughout the course. Lastly, those that win recognised award schemes relating to the field probably yield higher employment rates. Lastly, the location and presentation of a graduate showcase or degree show will also have a large influence, since industry insiders are far more inclined to visit a place in central London, near their workspace, than one in the midlands, for instance. The presentation will help to sell a student to an employer. Of course, the 'overall' reputation of a course or institution will have an impact too. In other words, how recognised the institution is to the industry you're hoping to work for, both nationally and internationally.

I'm responding to this from a creative slant, given the section this thread is posted in.
Reply 8
video production and film studies is a great career to go into because of how well its invested in well outside of britain but getting jobs overseas is easy, TVU ealing has a 95% rate that you will walk into a job after uni so sweet
Thanks for your comments so far, yes I was indeed refering to a course within the creative industries Matisse. Would you or anyone else care to suggest any establishments (or courses) in particular that are especially 'industry recognized', or that have similar graduate employment statistics as mentioned by Papo?

Latest