Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, sorry if it's dumb, but if I became more muscular through working out would I be able to lose the muscle or is that difficult? I've heard from some people that once when you build muscle, it's there forever, whereas others have said that muscle is quite easy to lose if you don't keep working it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horchata)
    I have a question, sorry if it's dumb, but if I became more muscular through working out would I be able to lose the muscle or is that difficult? I've heard from some people that once when you build muscle, it's there forever, whereas others have said that muscle is quite easy to lose if you don't keep working it.
    Nothing lasts forever so it will atrophy if not used.

This said however you will not be able to build much muscle - it is very hard for a man to do without massive resistance training, diet and dedication. One of the pre-requisites is testosterone which as a lass you have very little of, so if its tough for guys it is probably 10 times harder for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, iv just joined a gym again and am trying to tone up - im a definite skinny fat candidate!

im planning on doing HIIT 3x a week and then on the other days doing weights. I've never done resistance work before, only ever cardio, so I really have no idea what im doing. My gym has a kinesis machine - I had a go on it today, copying the exercises shown on the machine. Is kinesis as good as doing free weights? Or am I wasting my time with it? What exercises should i be doing on it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it is not, free weights are vastly superior
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I wake up in the morning my measurements are 36-30-36 (give or take .25" on my waist and hips). At night my measurements are 36-31-37 (give or take .5").

Throughout the day I gain an inch or two (about 10-20lbs?) but I lose it all again the next morning but then gain it that night and so on, and so forth.

Is this normal or is there something very wrong with me?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)

Throughout the day I gain an inch or two (about 10-20lbs?) but I lose it all again the next morning but then gain it that night and so on, and so forth.

Is this normal or is there something very wrong with me?
    You are probably not gaining 10-20lbs, it is just water weight and food - which is going to stimulate and be absorbed by the bowel - ie under the boobs and closer to the waist and hips - hence the discrepancy.

Don't worry about it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a question just wanted to say thanks for this thread its really usefull
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    You are probably not gaining 10-20lbs, it is just water weight and food - which is going to stimulate and be absorbed by the bowel - ie under the boobs and closer to the waist and hips - hence the discrepancy.

Don't worry about it.
    Of course! It all makes sense now, I don't know why I didn't think of it before! Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I don't really have a question just wanted to say thanks for this thread its really usefull

Thank you
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    But shouldn't you be able to lift your own weight with your arms?
    I can't, I am feeble :sad:

Actually I can hang and get up but I can't hold it or do another one.
    If you can lift you own weight that means your healthy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi, im looking for some advice. im trying to tone up so want to introduce weights into my exercise regime. i do bicep curls, french press and squats with dumbbells - what kind of weights should i be lifting? at the moment i do 6kg bicep curls, 8kg french press and 10kg dumbbells with squats. i feel like it's not working though because my muscles never ache the next day or anything - do i need to increase the weights? im only 5ft4 and a size 8 so im pretty petite
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats_my_poison)
    hi, im looking for some advice. im trying to tone up so want to introduce weights into my exercise regime. i do bicep curls, french press and squats with dumbbells - what kind of weights should i be lifting? at the moment i do 6kg bicep curls, 8kg french press and 10kg dumbbells with squats. i feel like it's not working though because my muscles never ache the next day or anything - do i need to increase the weights? im only 5ft4 and a size 8 so im pretty petite
    If you can complete 8-12 repetitions with your weights with little difficulty then the weight is too light and it is time to increase the weight - there is no rule other than to improve you must force your body to adapt so you should be training outside of your comfort zone.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about HIIT.

I started doing it last week:

30s sprint - 9.5mph
    30s jog - 8.5mph

Repeated 8 times. Then repeated the whole sequence but at a slightly lower intensity (9 and 8).

Is keeping the sprint speed the same throughout OK? Because I can't run much faster than 9.5 at the moment, I think I'd die...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How do I lose weight on my thighs/tone them??? Perfect scenario I'd like a gap at the top lol but dont think that will happen....anyway yeah basically i hate my thighs, i have really toned calfs but my thighs are horrific any tips??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    I have a question about HIIT.

I started doing it last week:

30s sprint - 9.5mph
    30s jog - 8.5mph

Repeated 8 times. Then repeated the whole sequence but at a slightly lower intensity (9 and 8).

Is keeping the sprint speed the same throughout OK? Because I can't run much faster than 9.5 at the moment, I think I'd die...
    The jog speed should be much less than you are currently doing, even walking is ok.

(Original post by tsveta)
    How do I lose weight on my thighs/tone them??? Perfect scenario I'd like a gap at the top lol but dont think that will happen....anyway yeah basically i hate my thighs, i have really toned calfs but my thighs are horrific any tips??
    Read the first post - it would appear from your question you have not done this.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    The jog speed should be much less than you are currently doing, even walking is ok.

Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Helloo.

Well I've had a good read through, and I think it's about time I changed my workout a bit. I've been trying to lose weight since Jan and I've lost a stone so far, mainly through diet and exercise. I'm running a lot as I'm training for a half mara in June, so tend to run about 3-4 times a week. I go to the gym twice a week and I'm really trying to get myself into using free weights, but to be honest I just get scared!

Anyway, I always seem to end up doing more running at the gym but I've been thinking for a while I should just swap it for HIIT, as that would help my running in general yes? I also don't want to get to the point where I'm doing the same old thing and not actually doing anything worthwhile.

Also, I tend to stick to resistance machines (when I can get to them), which is usually lat pulldowns, abductor and adductor, leg press and chest press. I've also started using free weights for my armies lately, so I feel OK with those, and I also do push-ups and sit-ups

Just wondered what I can improve on/change/include to make the most of it? I just get a bit intimidated in the weights area because of all the hardcore lifters who seem to stare me out :sad:
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've searched and searched for a definitive answer but I can't find one. Do squats make the waist bigger? Specifically Tabata Squats. I've got a 31" waist which really needs trimming and I already go running 4-5 times a week.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi, currently I just do cardio but for fat loss and muscle gain I know I should be adding weights to my exercise.

I only have free handheld weights - is there a sample workout somewhere that only uses these sorts of weights and that I can do at home with no extra equipment? I think my body type is mesomorph if that's relevant.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2014
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.