The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, this will seem a silly question. I want to start building up my stamina and general leg muscles while reducing my body fat (I noticed that I've sort of exchanged leg muscle for fat when I stopped my long daily walks, which used to keep my legs as I wanted them). I know what I want to do, but I'm worried that my breasts will shrink as well - they are a 32A. I'm happy with my size and, if I'm honest, I don't want to have to search out new comfortable bras in AA or something! ^^;

I read that women have different numbers of fat cells in their breasts. Am I likely to end up with no boobage if I reduce my body fat % a little and build muscle? ^^;
Reply 781
if u have to choose one out of swimming and gym, then for the purpose of weight loss purely i will recommend swimming.

Hope it helps!
Hey,

I just wondered if anyone could help me. I dont think im doing the back extension weight properly but im not sure why. Ive watched people in the gym and I seem to be doing it right and ive watched youtube videos etc and i cant see where im going wrong!

Im a girl and im currently doing 3 sets of 12 reps before upping my weight. At the moment i can do about 60kg on the back machine. But then when i get on after some guy i can see im pushing more than him?

But im just not sure what im doing wrong? Theres no way im strong enough to push my back 60kg because i cant even give piggy backs! I mean, my gluteus etc does ache whilst im doing it....i dont know!

I know its hard to give advice, based on this, but if anyone has any idea it would help massively. All the other weights i.e. biceps, triceps, pull down etc im on between 10-40kg. so i dont get how im on 60kg for my back!
i always have a boiled egg with toast and a banana for brekkie before working out about an hour later :smile:
I always eat a decent meal 1 hr before workout as well, otherwise i have no energy...
I've begun to pile on the pounds after revision due to quick eating so I didn't need to spend long cooking dinner and waiting around for it whilst I could be revising, I've now become a tiny bit overweight and I was wondering if anyone knew of anyways to lose weight QUICKLY!!

I would love to go to a gym but i don't actually live near one and have no transport. To be honest with A levels too, I just find it a bit difficult, so I'm just wondering if anything has worked for you guys in the war against the fat!

Please help, and thanks for any info in advance
Swimming is probably the best as it stimulates many muscles in your body and burns fat quickly. Otherwise...
Cycling? An occasional jog?
Original post by Joeyboy 12
Swimming is probably the best as it stimulates many muscles in your body and burns fat quickly. Otherwise...
Cycling? An occasional jog?

the nearest gym and swimming pool to me is like 15 miles away :/ this is my problem and why I am asking others for help. Thanks for the comment anyhow :smile:
If you put on weight that quickly then im sure it will come off quicker anyways. You need to watch what you eat at most. Make food swaps! Thats what i did and im at a normal weight now after piling on a couple of revision pounds :smile:
Original post by MelissaBabe
the nearest gym and swimming pool to me is like 15 miles away :/ this is my problem and why I am asking others for help. Thanks for the comment anyhow :smile:

Walk there, walk back once a week.
Original post by MelissaBabe

What about the jogging part?
Whilst this is definitely a quick fix and not a good thing to do in the long term, doing exercise in the morning before breakfast/ juice will burn fat quickly.
This is because you're using fat stores as energy rather than food.

Do a short intense run (like 20-30minutes) / circuits session and then have breakfast like 30-45mins later.

You'll lose weight, and muscle, but don't expect to get fit and in the long term it won't work because your body will store fat to respond to working out whilst starving.

But for 1-2 weeks, this should be quite effective.
Original post by BambieWambie
Walk there, walk back once a week.

there's no way I will pay £70 a month of money I don't have to go to a gym once a week, that would just be wasteful? O.o

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
What about the jogging part?

I do go jogging, I was asking people if they knew any FAST ways to lose weight?
It's better in every way to lose weight at a slower pace.
If you restrict calories/do fad diets then the weight you're losing isn't sustainable and you'll just gain it back as soon as you come off the diet. If you genuinely want to lose weight, you've got to think of it as a lifestyle change and not a diet.
High Protein & Fat, Low carb diet!

Believe me its amazing, nothing has ever worked for me, eating less, eating super healthy, going to the gym daily.....i could go on, but this works a treat, its all about dropping bread, pasta, rice and all the other carbs and just eating protein, veg, salads, and being generally healthy. Its done wonders for me so far and I dont even have much fat to lose, im more using it for definition.

Sure its a mans belly on the link but it will do the same for women losing fat....
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-lose-belly-fat-fast-naturally/
Reply 795
Try a 'carb cycling' diet where you have 2 days eating low-carb (avoiding bread, pasta, rice etc.) and 1 day high-carb. However, this ISN'T sustainable in the long term - only for 2-3 weeks to lose weight quickly. You need to consistently eat right and workout.

I'm using this at the moment and it's torching body fat pretty quickly (I am combining it with circuit training though - even if it's only press-ups, squats, lunges, rows it's better than nothing)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 796
Don't eat, just walk, and keep walking. For 48 hours straight just keep walking and don't eat. You should drop weight like u got aids.
Just swap normal foods for their low fat/calorie alternatives low fat crisps, yoghurt, cheese etc. It really works if you stick to it! Just don't eat loads of it as it will defeat the point). Plus snack on fruit instead of bad stuff (seems a nightmare for the first week but you soon get used to it if you stick with it)
Eat less food, smaller sized meals...reduce ur carbs increase ur protein and workout on an empty stomach
drink water throughout the day
Reply 799
Caloric Deficit. AKA eat less than your body burns.

Quick Reply

Latest