The Student Room Group

Any Uni's that accept A2 Arabic??

Hi,
I am an arabic student currently studyin alevels in bahrain. thus my first language is Arabic and so i found it easy to take the A2 in year 11 and got a high A in it
Jus heard from people in my school that alevels in your first language arent accepted by some unis.
if any1 knows more info about this i would be very greatful.

anythin like which unis do accept/dont accept is highly appreciated.

Note: I am aiming to go to a top 10 uni in the UK as i am expecting straight A's in my alevels

tks in advance
Reply 1
Probably none of the top 10 unis will accpet it if it's your first language.
Reply 2
I don't know, but it would be valued I suppose, because it's proof that you're fluent at a language.
I'm doing my AS this year!
Reply 3
hussain92
Hi,
I am an arabic student currently studyin alevels in bahrain. thus my first language is Arabic and so i found it easy to take the A2 in year 11 and got a high A in it
Jus heard from people in my school that alevels in your first language arent accepted by some unis.
if any1 knows more info about this i would be very greatful.

anythin like which unis do accept/dont accept is highly appreciated.

Note: I am aiming to go to a top 10 uni in the UK as i am expecting straight A's in my alevels

tks in advance

It depends completely on the course & university. You will need to check each universities entry requirements before applying. However I recommend e-mailing and double checking just incase because entry requirements can sometimes be vague.

I done a language A-level in year 10 and my teachers told me it wouldn't count. Once I applied to uni, I discovered that all my universities accepted it. :smile:
Reply 4
What other A-levels are you doing? If you're doing 3 others, it shouldn't be an issue... otherwise, there aren't many unis (and definitely not many top 10 ones) that will accept A-level Arabic in the same standings as they would other A-levels.
Reply 5
i understand that they wouldnt value it similar to maths for example
but will it get any credit?
It might, but don't rely on it. It's better to e-mail the admissions departments of the universities you're interested in.
Reply 7
I think it's counted but only if it's an extra plus 3 other A2s...I'm not really sure...
Reply 8
i am definitely doing 3 a2s probably maths, further maths and economics
i already have an AS in IT and should have an AS Psychology in the summer
but still am unsure whether it will count for anything when applyin 2 uni??
Reply 9
just lie and say its not your first language...
Wow, another Bahrani....well, okay, i'm not Bahraini, but I lived there form when I was 2 to when I was nineteen!
Reply 11
hussain92
i am definitely doing 3 a2s probably maths, further maths and economics
i already have an AS in IT and should have an AS Psychology in the summer
but still am unsure whether it will count for anything when applyin 2 uni??

I don't get it... so you have an AS in Psychology and IT, and an whole A-levels (AS and A2) in Arabic, Maths, Further Maths, and Economics?

@Sharpiiie: He can't lie because he lives in Bahrain and everyone knows arabic is mother tounge :smile:
I went to an Oxbridge conference a couple of weeks ago and one of the admissions tutors said that they accepted all language A-Levels because they don't know whether Arabic is your first language or not. Having said that, I have seen on some university websites that they don't accept first language A-Levels. All in all, I think you'll be fine considering you'll have 3 other A Levels and another 2 AS.

Latest