The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

threeportdrift
With all due respect, HBCs experience isn't very relevant. Of course he's loving it, because it is all new, challenging and well paid. What you need to be researching if you are considering an NCA career is what people on their third or fourth tour feel about it. Once the newness and initial challenge has worn off and they have decent expereince levels, are they still being challenged, are they still learning new skills, or are opportunities limited, are they looking at doing the same old same old for the next 12 years?

Agreed.

It may not occur to someone going through the selection process now, but at a later stage someone may find themselves stuck in a work that they don't enjoy anymore.
Reply 21
newboyintown
Agreed.

It may not occur to someone going through the selection process now, but at a later stage someone may find themselves stuck in a work that they don't enjoy anymore.

And that won't happen for a pilot or WSO? Believe it or not there are other opportunities for NCA to move around, the same in that there are for commissioned aircrew, such as ground tours at home and abroad, changing aircraft types, etc.

Don't get me wrong I agree with the possible frustrations and limited promotion opportunities but there are options to move around and do new things. I'm not saying some of it won't be boring but that's life.
ebulus
And that won't happen for a pilot or WSO? Believe it or not there are other opportunities for NCA to move around, the same in that there are for commissioned aircrew, such as ground tours at home and abroad, changing aircraft types, etc.

Don't get me wrong I agree with the possible frustrations and limited promotion opportunities but there are options to move around and do new things. I'm not saying some of it won't be boring but that's life.

It's not about the opportunity to "move around", but i think we are talking about the level of responsibility that they are given; and how someone would cope if it's limited scope when they are wanting to get more while opportuinites may not be there!
Reply 23
newboyintown
It's not about the opportunity to "move around", but i think we are talking about the level of responsibility that they are given; and how someone would cope if it's limited scope when they are wanting to get more while opportuinites may not be there!

I believe that you referred to someone being "stuck in a work that they don't enjoy anymore". Yes this may be related to levels of responsibility but what I'm saying is that a guy who is NCA and on, for example, his fourth flying tour will have a certain level of responsibility directly related to his experience level and will probably be responsible for newer guys as well.

Just to put this into some context and to give it credibility I am NCA already currently in the process of applying for a commission. I understand what you are saying with regards to responsibility, the levels are definitely different between myself and an officer, but I can't think of many of my superiors (NCA) that find themselves in a job they don't enjoy anymore. The opportunities are there and I just feel that the NCA role gets a lot of bad press on here.
Reply 24
ebulus
I just feel that the NCA role gets a lot of bad press on here.

I disagree. NCA as a role in itself is generally well supported and discussed (although fewer NCA applicants tend to post).

What gets a lot of bad press on here is people who want to consider NCA as a substitute for or stepping stone towards a commission, rather than wishing to pursue it as a legitimate and appropriate career path on its own merits.
ebulus
I believe that you referred to someone being "stuck in a work that they don't enjoy anymore". Yes this may be related to levels of responsibility but what I'm saying is that a guy who is NCA and on, for example, his fourth flying tour will have a certain level of responsibility directly related to his experience level and will probably be responsible for newer guys as well.

Just to put this into some context and to give it credibility I am NCA already currently in the process of applying for a commission. I understand what you are saying with regards to responsibility, the levels are definitely different between myself and an officer, but I can't think of many of my superiors (NCA) that find themselves in a job they don't enjoy anymore. The opportunities are there and I just feel that the NCA role gets a lot of bad press on here.

No one here is giving a "bad press" to the NCA here. Everyone including myself agrees that NCO/A's do a brilliant job and without them the RAF would function properly and I have met a few NCO/SNCO who I have found to be well capable of doing the work they do.

If you look at my posts, I am actually talking about if someone has what it takes to be an Officer, would they be willing to take the risk of finding someone in a job that they don't really want to do after a few years down the line.

I believe that you are applying for Commission because you think you are capable of being an Officer. But do everyone who wants get the opportunity to apply for commission?

I hope it makes things clear.

All the best with your application by the way.
newboyintown

I believe that you are applying for Commission because you think you are capable of being an Officer. But do everyone who wants get the opportunity to apply for commission?

I hope it makes things clear.

All the best with your application by the way.

Any serving airman may apply for commission whilst they are in the armed forces in excactly the same way any civilian may apply. The only difference to the criteria is that for time served certain academic qualifications can be waived and this dependent on the amount of time served and the rank of the applicant. Warrant Officers come under a slightly different entry scheme as do nurses. All the age and aptitude rules apply however some differences apply for serving NCA (I am not the right person to answer that one). As I have previously stated out of the thousands of airman within the RAF the idea of a commission does not appeal to them all and within the aircraft trades they are better qualified than a large number of officers and if licensed (CAA or FAA) then there prospects and salary options outwith the service are more promising than a lot of ex-aircrew.

Latest