The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lucrecia
From what I've heard, they've got a little too full of themselves recently. They seem to have come to the conclusion that anything they release will be snapped up by queues of adoring, blind fans.
Don't get me wrong- I'm a FFVII obsessive! But VIII really disappointed me. IX redeemed it slightly, X was good but not exactly compelling. Ehrgeiz was an embarrassment. Vagrant Story was the type of game I could've fallen into an obsessive stupor over, if it wasn't for the awful RISK system! It seemed like a cheap way of making a long game longer.
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts due to my immune system breaking into hives at the mere possibility of cuteness (I'm itchy now at the sheer thought). I also felt a shudder of coldness at the thought of Cloud standing alongside Goofy. Disney- another company which could once release any old garbage and get acclaim. People have started to wise up to them now.
I fear for Square!

Well i loved XIII (until one of the discs stopped working... :mad: ), X was an amazing game (and so was X-2 btw). Ehrgeiz is a pain to get hold of for a reasonable price round here (i'm not paying 40 quid for any game, thank you very much), so i don't know.

Kingdom Hearts is actually a really good game (and this is coming from a die hard disney game hater).

To me the future of square-enix is bright.
Just thinking, anyone on here played Valkyrie Profile or Azure Dreams? (i'm not sure if you can get the former over here without on import or something). I really want to get both games, as i've seen alot about them that i like.
Also Xenogears (again PS1), only import as well... anyone know how you can play import PS1 games on a PS2 (without chipping it or something. I don't know if disks or stuff you can get to do it work)...

And something a little different for you all, if you can pick it up cheaply.
Koudelka (PS1 game) is an RPG with a gothic theme, and a really interesting (IMO) turn based battle mechanic. Not the best game ever, but certainly alot of play time in it, and worth getting if you can find it at a decent price.
Reply 22
the best ps2 game for me is pro evo 2 by a lonnngggg way
I so badly want to shoot everony who says damn pro evo is any good. ITS NOT!!! Its a bad game!!! Its got no playability, the entire system is dodgy and slow. ITS AWFUL PEOPLE!!!
Reply 24
i am guessing youre one of the fifa lovers
PrOdiGy_
i am guessing youre one of the fifa lovers

Fifa is a marginally better game i think. It seems to be more playable, theres more flow to the game and stuff.
Reply 26
Iluvatar
Fifa is a marginally better game i think. It seems to be more playable, theres more flow to the game and stuff.

i am not saying this is you but this is the kind of thing i hear from people who hate pro evo and like fifa:

"This game to me is a mock of all football game. Unlike fifa 2005 when u pass the ball 2 somebody it sticks to there feet like glue. When u want to shoot u have to tap the shoot button very lighty or else u will sky the shot over the bar. No wonder Heny says the game is to hard to win it is because the cant score a goal on it. Unless u put the game level on to very very hard u can just run strait past the players and the wont even try and takel u. The only good thing about it is the graphics and i would rather have a good gameplay game then have a game with good graphics
The worst game i ever played EVER "

i think most pro evo fans can look at that and laugh
PrOdiGy_
i am not saying this is you but this is the kind of thing i hear from people who hate pro evo and like fifa:

"This game to me is a mock of all football game. Unlike fifa 2005 when u pass the ball 2 somebody it sticks to there feet like glue. When u want to shoot u have to tap the shoot button very lighty or else u will sky the shot over the bar. No wonder Heny says the game is to hard to win it is because the cant score a goal on it. Unless u put the game level on to very very hard u can just run strait past the players and the wont even try and takel u. The only good thing about it is the graphics and i would rather have a good gameplay game then have a game with good graphics
The worst game i ever played EVER "

i think most pro evo fans can look at that and laugh

Well personally i find the pro evo gameplay rather static and disjointed. I prefer fifa as it plays more fluidly, IMO.
But the main thing i have to say, about both Pro Evo and Fifa is neither of them can be considered very good games. They are okay, they do what they do, which is football, and they do it okay. But there is nothing there that makes the game good compared to games in other genres, where there is alot of creativity in the design, producing alot better games. In fact, the only football games i have ever really enjoyed playing were the original Sensi (although it is rather simple, it just had something about it), and Red Card (because it did something slightly different, which although tacky, made the game not just football). I am waiting to try Fifa Street (when they get it in blockbusters to rent), to hopefully find a football game with something different to it, which actually makes it more than an average game (i really liked NBA street 1 and 2, because of the same reason)...
Reply 28
Iluvatar
Well personally i find the pro evo gameplay rather static and disjointed. I prefer fifa as it plays more fluidly, IMO.
But the main thing i have to say, about both Pro Evo and Fifa is neither of them can be considered very good games. They are okay, they do what they do, which is football, and they do it okay. But there is nothing there that makes the game good compared to games in other genres, where there is alot of creativity in the design, producing alot better games. In fact, the only football games i have ever really enjoyed playing were the original Sensi (although it is rather simple, it just had something about it), and Red Card (because it did something slightly different, which although tacky, made the game not just football). I am waiting to try Fifa Street (when they get it in blockbusters to rent), to hopefully find a football game with something different to it, which actually makes it more than an average game (i really liked NBA street 1 and 2, because of the same reason)...

i agree with you about them not really having much depth, but i find when you have a load of mates over, along with a couple of multi taps, pro evo comes into its own. i really cant find any other game on the ps2 that offers that experience
PrOdiGy_
i agree with you about them not really having much depth, but i find when you have a load of mates over, along with a couple of multi taps, pro evo comes into its own. i really cant find any other game on the ps2 that offers that experience

Well personally i think any of the WWE games are great for that sort of multi tap play, or something like bombastic for something different.
Football games in general when playing with more than two people per side, i find, are really not worth playing, and aren't much fun at all.
Reply 30
Iluvatar
Well personally i think any of the WWE games are great for that sort of multi tap play, or something like bombastic for something different.
Football games in general when playing with more than two people per side, i find, are really not worth playing, and aren't much fun at all.

fair enough
pro evo.
Silent Hill and GTA
Reply 33
-ffx-
Gaz031
-ffx-

FFX is indeed an excellent game, on of the best to grace the PS2, but it is not the best, that crown must be reserved for Star ocean: til the end of time.
wiwarin_mir
FFX is indeed an excellent game, on of the best to grace the PS2, but it is not the best, that crown must be reserved for Star ocean: til the end of time.

You talk like its an open and shut case...
Iluvatar
You talk like its an open and shut case...

Quite obviously it is though, since I have played, completed and got very obsessive with both so I can accurately compare them.
wiwarin_mir
Quite obviously it is though, since I have played, completed and got very obsessive with both so I can accurately compare them.

But have you done the same for every other PS2 game (apart from the obviously bad ones that you don't even have to play to know aren't worth it), because otherwise you cannot say so certainly that Star Ocean: Until the end of time is the best game surely.
Iluvatar
But have you done the same for every other PS2 game (apart from the obviously bad ones that you don't even have to play to know aren't worth it), because otherwise you cannot say so certainly that Star Ocean: Until the end of time is the best game surely.

I am judging the games that I have played though.
wiwarin_mir
I am judging the games that I have played though.

Oh okay, i thought you were being definitive about it.