The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, obviously the best PS2 game is Star ocean: til the end of time, after all, it is an amazing game that combines all the successful elements of a square enix RPG with real time fighting.
Reply 2
Kingdom Hearts.

Can't wait for the new one to come out
Reply 3
wiwarin_mir
Well, obviously the best PS2 game is Star ocean: til the end of time, after all, it is an amazing game that combines all the successful elements of a square enix RPG with real time fighting.

i gave up on this game after 10 minutes - will play on it later (hopefully)

the onimusha series is good
Reply 4
fernando
i gave up on this game after 10 minutes - will play on it later (hopefully)

the onimusha series is good

The opening is a bit slow I suppose, but if you can get past that it quickly becomes a lot more interesting. Apart from having real time battles you can also see enemies on the map and avoid them.
I'd probably say Disgaea (trying to find its 'sequal' but no shops do it round here grr...), closely followed by Star Ocean: Until the end of time... if you want something a bit more action orientated, i recommend champions of norrath (even though its got way too many glitches, its a great game for the action lover, without any thinking involved)...
Reply 6
Really depends on what you're into. I raided the 3 for £20 at my local game shop and found Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2, and one called Chaos Legion. I played the first two Broken Swords on the PS1 and loved the cartoon graphics and humour. I'm enjoying Sleeping Dragon, but would rather have low-tech, excellent cartoon graphics than poor 3D rendering. For some reason, I just can't appreciate the humour so much when it comes from characters that the creators have clearly tried to turn into sex symbols! For some reason, 3D equates to firm, masculine jaws, or exaggerated curves in the case of women.
Blood Omen 2 serves to complete my collection of Legacy of Kain games. I couldn't possibly recommend a series more highly- the plot absolutely stunned me to silence. Wish I was being hyperbolic, but it's a truly beautiful thing. I just wish to hell that I knew whether or not the makers are going to wrap it up or just leave it hanging. Not one for a satisfying conclusion.
No idea what Chaos Legion is like. Sounds like a strategy game. Never played one before, so it could be interesting.

And that, Dr Bradley, is why my dissertation is so bad.
Reply 7
Omg I love Pro Evolution Soccer...i'm addicted! :smile:
Reply 8
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Hands down in my opinion.
Lucrecia
Really depends on what you're into. I raided the 3 for £20 at my local game shop and found Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2, and one called Chaos Legion. I played the first two Broken Swords on the PS1 and loved the cartoon graphics and humour. I'm enjoying Sleeping Dragon, but would rather have low-tech, excellent cartoon graphics than poor 3D rendering. For some reason, I just can't appreciate the humour so much when it comes from characters that the creators have clearly tried to turn into sex symbols! For some reason, 3D equates to firm, masculine jaws, or exaggerated curves in the case of women.
Blood Omen 2 serves to complete my collection of Legacy of Kain games. I couldn't possibly recommend a series more highly- the plot absolutely stunned me to silence. Wish I was being hyperbolic, but it's a truly beautiful thing. I just wish to hell that I knew whether or not the makers are going to wrap it up or just leave it hanging. Not one for a satisfying conclusion.
No idea what Chaos Legion is like. Sounds like a strategy game. Never played one before, so it could be interesting.

And that, Dr Bradley, is why my dissertation is so bad.

Chaos Legion isn't all that great to be honest. Its fairly good i suppose, and its got some interesting elements to it, but overall there are far better games.
ICO. The only game that nearly stopped me selling my PS2. Since then a few other contendors have surfaced, but I haven't played any of them enough to say if they are *that* great.
Reply 11
Iluvatar
Chaos Legion isn't all that great to be honest. Its fairly good i suppose, and its got some interesting elements to it, but overall there are far better games.

Better games for pennies? :biggrin:
The cover looked pretty, I needed a third game, and I'm a magpie when it comes to shiny boxes. What sort of thing do you like? I haven't the cash to buy newer stuff, so I'm always interested in older PS2/1 games.
Another excellent game on PS2 was actually primal which had a nice complicated nature to it that was achieved using a blend of adenture style puzzle solving and a nice 3rd person fighting system.
Reply 13
wiwarin_mir
Another excellent game on PS2 was actually primal which had a nice complicated nature to it that was achieved using a blend of adenture style puzzle solving and a nice 3rd person fighting system.

That sounds a little like Vagrant Story in regards to muddled genre. Loved the plot of that game, but the battle system irked me too much for me to finish it
Lucrecia
That sounds a little like Vagrant Story in regards to muddled genre. Loved the plot of that game, but the battle system irked me too much for me to finish it

Vagrant story is a nice RPG, I had great fun playing it, although I did end up getting a bit stuck. I think square have to be one of the greatest game makers around.
Reply 15
From what I've heard, they've got a little too full of themselves recently. They seem to have come to the conclusion that anything they release will be snapped up by queues of adoring, blind fans.
Don't get me wrong- I'm a FFVII obsessive! But VIII really disappointed me. IX redeemed it slightly, X was good but not exactly compelling. Ehrgeiz was an embarrassment. Vagrant Story was the type of game I could've fallen into an obsessive stupor over, if it wasn't for the awful RISK system! It seemed like a cheap way of making a long game longer.
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts due to my immune system breaking into hives at the mere possibility of cuteness (I'm itchy now at the sheer thought). I also felt a shudder of coldness at the thought of Cloud standing alongside Goofy. Disney- another company which could once release any old garbage and get acclaim. People have started to wise up to them now.
I fear for Square!
Lucrecia
From what I've heard, they've got a little too full of themselves recently. They seem to have come to the conclusion that anything they release will be snapped up by queues of adoring, blind fans.
Don't get me wrong- I'm a FFVII obsessive! But VIII really disappointed me. IX redeemed it slightly, X was good but not exactly compelling. Ehrgeiz was an embarrassment. Vagrant Story was the type of game I could've fallen into an obsessive stupor over, if it wasn't for the awful RISK system! It seemed like a cheap way of making a long game longer.
I haven't played Kingdom Hearts due to my immune system breaking into hives at the mere possibility of cuteness (I'm itchy now at the sheer thought). I also felt a shudder of coldness at the thought of Cloud standing alongside Goofy. Disney- another company which could once release any old garbage and get acclaim. People have started to wise up to them now.
I fear for Square!

Have you seen the trailers for FFXII!! you cannot condemn square for releasing sub standard products when they take so much time and effort making things look good. A good a reason as any that square still has it is Star Ocean: til the end of time, I mean I am playing it through for the third time at present simply because I want to unlock more game features (and try to unlock the hardest difficulty setting.
Reply 17
wiwarin_mir
Have you seen the trailers for FFXII!! you cannot condemn square for releasing sub standard products when they take so much time and effort making things look good. A good a reason as any that square still has it is Star Ocean: til the end of time, I mean I am playing it through for the third time at present simply because I want to unlock more game features (and try to unlock the hardest difficulty setting.

Hate to be antagonistic, but pretty graphics do not a good game make! The same goes with anything- don't judge a book by its cover and all that.
My first thoughts of VIII were of how pretty it looked. Then I realised the plot was dire and I felt cheated. Sometimes so much time and effort can be poured into appearances that the substance is forgotten.

Not that I'm saying the new FF game will be pants! There are ALWAYS exceptions, but don't get excited based on images!
Lucrecia
Hate to be antagonistic, but pretty graphics do not a good game make! The same goes with anything- don't judge a book by its cover and all that.
My first thoughts of VIII were of how pretty it looked. Then I realised the plot was dire and I felt cheated. Sometimes so much time and effort can be poured into appearances that the substance is forgotten.

Not that I'm saying the new FF game will be pants! There are ALWAYS exceptions, but don't get excited based on images!

I am obviously not going to judge the game purely on aesthetic values, just take FF X-2 for example, it has excellent graphics but the plot is far too simpistic and has clearly been designed for a younger audiance.

From the outset you are able to get to everywhere on the world map, which spoils it since it is always good to discover new places.

The general feel to the game was completely different from FF X and the character personalities were changes somewhat, especially with Yuna, who just seemed far too rebellious.

The plot was quite weak as well and tried to introduce far too many comic moments which ruined my enjoyment of the game as quite a few of the missions involved puzzles of various sorts that seemed out of place in a final fantasy game.

Then we get to the mini-games, the sphere break game was a disappointment and got boring very quickly and the calm land mini-games also got quite boring. The worse thing though was the fact that they murdered Blitz balled completely, changing many rules and making it far less fun due to the managerial role it put you in.
Lucrecia
Better games for pennies? :biggrin:
The cover looked pretty, I needed a third game, and I'm a magpie when it comes to shiny boxes. What sort of thing do you like? I haven't the cash to buy newer stuff, so I'm always interested in older PS2/1 games.

Well i got Bombastic (a really fun game), not even as a part of a buy 3 for 20 or something offer, for £7.

Shiny box? Its box is white AFAIK. I'm into alot of different stuff, RPG's, strategy, puzzle, action... lots of things really.
I found a copy of Champions of Norrath for a tenner a couple of weeks ago (already bought the game before then though), so if you can get that around that price, its well worth it IMO.

Latest