The Student Room Group

Nose piercing infection

I got my nose pierced over 2 months ago at blue banana and have been caring for it well, not messing with it etc. I've been swabbing it with a mild saline solution and applying diluted tea tree oil but this just seemed to make it worse. It's gotten into a cycle of a small bump filled with liquid appearing up next to the stud, then this bump draining itself when I clean my piercing. After this it gets extremely scabby with loads of yellowish crap around it. After a few days, the scabbyness heals up, but then that god damn bump is back and it happens all over again.

Someone told me that germolene worked for them and I have been using it for 2 days and it's helped slightly but is there anything better anyone can recommend? I would really like to change my stud/not have weird yellow crap around it..

PS - Please don't tell me to take it out because I refuse to undergo the pain again. And as for going to my piercer, he just keeps telling me to do the "salt soaks".

Scroll to see replies

Stop adding tea tree oil. Just salt and water. Let it dry out and heal.
Reply 2
Salt water sorted out my lip just fine. Fill a glass and just dunk your nose right on in there!
I just used to put a hot flannel over it, and I didn't bother with tea tree - it irritated it more than anything, and it just pissed me off after a while. You shouldn't take out an infected piercing anyway, if you can help it.

Don't worry, it'll settle down eventually :smile:
Reply 4
tea tree oil is too strong. You also might have the wrong jewelry in it? do you know what you are wearing?
Reply 5
That happened to the piercing on the top of my ear last week! I went to the docs, they put me on antibiotics and its pretty much gone now.. I suggest you get it checked out.. Xx
Reply 6
I've had mine pierced twice in the last year.
I assume you had yours done with a gun?
The first time, I got it done by hippies with a needle ¬_¬ so yeah - now that's painful! Blood went everywhere. They also did it in the wrong place. This piercing got infected, and no matter what I tried, nothing worked. Then I gave up, and just let the hole heal by taking the stud out.
About 2 months ago, I got it done with a gun.. it was painless.
I got a sterile solution, and use a cotton bud. I also take it out now and then clean it.. It hasn't fully healed yet, but it is getting slightly better.
Also, don't change your stud too often, and use a small one until the infection has gone. When you're in the shower, put a small plaster on top of it too, as hot water aggrevates it.
Hope this helps.
:smile:
sarahqu
I got my nose pierced over 2 months ago at blue banana and have been caring for it well, not messing with it etc. I've been swabbing it with a mild saline solution and applying diluted tea tree oil but this just seemed to make it worse. It's gotten into a cycle of a small bump filled with liquid appearing up next to the stud, then this bump draining itself when I clean my piercing. After this it gets extremely scabby with loads of yellowish crap around it. After a few days, the scabbyness heals up, but then that god damn bump is back and it happens all over again.

Someone told me that germolene worked for them and I have been using it for 2 days and it's helped slightly but is there anything better anyone can recommend? I would really like to change my stud/not have weird yellow crap around it..

PS - Please don't tell me to take it out because I refuse to undergo the pain again. And as for going to my piercer, he just keeps telling me to do the "salt soaks".

Infections are cyclic sometimes, they seem to get better but keep popping up again and again till treated- afraid your only choice now is to TAKE IT OUT and go see your GP and get some antibiotics; some treatment- let it heal and get it re-done somewhere else other than ******* blue banana!!!

They have really bad rep and im sure if you get it done elsewhere it'd be better, nose piercings aren't meant to hurt really, unless they did it with a gun- which is bad.

so yes; please take it out, go see your gp- get your health seen to, its more important than looking good
Reply 8
I would only use salt and water, but make sure there's not too much salt as it can irritate it. Sometimes too much cleaning can make it worse I've found. I'm only speaking from my experience of my helix piercing, which kept getting a bump next to it, which would drain and go scabby then happen again, I went home for the weekend and didn't clean it (apart from shower) and it got a lot better, it seemed to dry out more when I didn't do salt water soaks. So I just don't clean it as often and it's starting to heal.

Only my story though.

I wouldn't reccommend taking it out unless you treat the infection, there's a chance it'll close up with the infection inside and you don't really want that.
Reply 9
nadiah
tea tree oil is too strong. You also might have the wrong jewelry in it? do you know what you are wearing?

The people at blue banana gave me the tea tree oil but I'm just going to stop using it cause it seems to irritate it even more. I think the jewelry I have is fine 'cause the lady pierced me with an autoclave and a special titanium nose stud like this
Coral Fang.
I've had mine pierced twice in the last year.
I assume you had yours done with a gun?
The first time, I got it done by hippies with a needle ¬_¬ so yeah - now that's painful! Blood went everywhere. They also did it in the wrong place. This piercing got infected, and no matter what I tried, nothing worked. Then I gave up, and just let the hole heal by taking the stud out.
About 2 months ago, I got it done with a gun.. it was painless.
I got a sterile solution, and use a cotton bud. I also take it out now and then clean it.. It hasn't fully healed yet, but it is getting slightly better.
Also, don't change your stud too often, and use a small one until the infection has gone. When you're in the shower, put a small plaster on top of it too, as hot water aggrevates it.
Hope this helps.
:smile:
Dodgy as hell advice. OP, don't pay much attention to this. A gun piercing is NOT the way to do it. Nor is it sensible or recommended to change the jewellery until it is FULLY healed.

OP, you may be overcleaning it. Clean it when it's crusty - once a day at the most. Salt water and nothing else. Keep hands off it and don't change the jewellery (Unless it is dodgy jewellery to begin with, and then I'd recommend you see a different piercing studio to sort it out for you). Stop with the tea-tree oil - it's too harsh, and just give it time.
Reply 11
Ilora-Danon
Dodgy as hell advice. OP, don't pay much attention to this. A gun piercing is NOT the way to do it. Nor is it sensible or recommended to change the jewellery until it is FULLY healed.

OP, you may be overcleaning it. Clean it when it's crusty - once a day at the most. Salt water and nothing else. Keep hands off it and don't change the jewellery (Unless it is dodgy jewellery to begin with, and then I'd recommend you see a different piercing studio to sort it out for you). Stop with the tea-tree oil - it's too harsh, and just give it time.

Ahhh, I have been cleaning it 2-3 times a day and showering everyday too so that might be the problem. I had mine done with an autoclave but it's only started playing up in the past month or so and was well behaved before then, but I think the jewelry is okay.. I might go down to another piercing studio for advice anyway cause blue banana sucks and their advice leaflet says that if your piercing gets infected to clean it up to 4 times a day.
sarahqu
Ahhh, I have been cleaning it 2-3 times a day and showering everyday too so that might be the problem. I had mine done with an autoclave but it's only started playing up in the past month or so and was well behaved before then, but I think the jewelry is okay.. I might go down to another piercing studio for advice anyway cause blue banana sucks and their advice leaflet says that if your piercing gets infected to clean it up to 4 times a day.
Honey, an autoclave is a piece of machinery used to sterilise the equipment. It's not a piece of piercing equipment!! You had it done with a gun???
Ilora-Danon
Honey, an autoclave is a piece of machinery used to sterilise the equipment. It's not a piece of piercing equipment!! You had it done with a gun???

Lol i was just going to post that! probs they did it with a gun, i knew they were **** but seriously??!!

and why am i the only one suggesting antibiotics? its clearly infected due to the gunk
Subcutaneous
Lol i was just going to post that! I can't believe they did it with a gun, i knew they were **** but seriously??!!

and why am i the only one suggesting antibiotics? its clearly infected due to the gunk
It's unlikely it's infected. It sounds irritated more than anything. A granuloma is pretty normal on piercings if they're irritated. So for now, the best course of action would be to slow down on the cleaning and just do basic saline soaks. If it's not improving, then I'd suggest she go back to a (more reputable) piercer and ask their advice. GP's generally don't approve of piercings so will automatically tell you to take it out, which is incorrect advice. So GP visits are an absolute last resort.
Reply 15
Ilora-Danon

oh ffs, when I asked the woman there if they sterilise guns etc she said that they have an autoclave so from that I assumed an autoclave was a sterilisable gun..

Yeah I had it with a gun lol
Ilora-Danon
It's unlikely it's infected. It sounds irritated more than anything. A granuloma is pretty normal on piercings if they're irritated. So for now, the best course of action would be to slow down on the cleaning and just do basic saline soaks. If it's not improving, then I'd suggest she go back to a (more reputable) piercer and ask their advice. GP's generally don't approve of piercings so will automatically tell you to take it out, which is incorrect advice. So GP visits are an absolute last resort.

granulomas are fine but its more of a concern over whether they are necrotic or not, and as she's talking about the yellow stuff- this makes me think it could be and necrosis tends to be caused by infection
Subcutaneous
granulomas are fine but its more of a concern over whether they are necrotic or not, and as she's talking about the yellow stuff- this makes me think it could be and necrosis tends to be caused by infection
Yes, but it wouldn't warrant anti-biotics at this stage, I don't think. I'm not a doctor, but piercings, I do know and it sounds to me like she's overcleaning and causing a reaction. Anti-biotics would clear up any infection if it was present, but it won't stop the irritation occuring from the overcleaning. Like I said, it's best to try a simple solution first, then onto more extreme measures as a last resort. I honestly believe (and I have had over a decade's worth of experience with piercings) that with a lot less cleaning and a more informed method of cleaning, that it will clear up in time.
Ilora-Danon
Yes, but it wouldn't warrant anti-biotics at this stage, I don't think. I'm not a doctor, but piercings, I do know and it sounds to me like she's overcleaning and causing a reaction. Anti-biotics would clear up any infection if it was present, but it won't stop the irritation occuring from the overcleaning. Like I said, it's best to try a simple solution first, then onto more extreme measures as a last resort. I honestly believe (and I have had over a decade's worth of experience with piercings) that with a lot less cleaning and a more informed method of cleaning, that it will clear up in time.

My point is- with a necrotic granuloma- it is worth seeking antibiotics at the end of the day as cleaning doesn't help an infection. It could be an irritation as sometimes in a few cases necrosis could be from irritation- and obviously fair point for maybe ruling that out first but if i was asessing a wound with yellow like discharge and a granuloma i'd be concerned thats all
sarahqu
oh ffs, when I asked the woman there if they sterilise guns etc she said that they have an autoclave so from that I assumed an autoclave was a sterilisable gun..

Yeah I had it with a gun lol
Okay, so what have we learned? We've learned that 'we have an autoclave' is a sure-fire 'get out clause'. She didn't infact, tell you anything. She may well have an autoclave, but if it doesn't get used, then you have no way of knowing that. Never make assumptions.

Do not in future, get pierced in any studio that condones or promotes the use of piercing guns.

Latest