The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Wildstylerandymoss
Im doing quesitions about Concentration, i understand them but dont understand what is the concentration what is the moles but i know the volume is the one with cm3

What is the concentration units it moles per dm3
or is it mol/dm3

what is the units for moles

thanks for any replies

The unit for concentration is moles per dm3 which is the same as mol/dm3 :smile: Basically it shows how many moles of a substance there are for every dm3 of a solution.

The unit for moles is mol.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Unit for moles is mol.
Unit for volume is dm^3.

Equation for concentration is... Concentration = moles / volume

Therefore the unit for concentration is mol / dm^3.

If the volume you use is in cm^3, then the concentration calculated will be in mol / cm^3.

But it helps to convert all values to the SI units before calculating, so divide any cm^3 by 1000 to get that value in dm^3 - then go from there. :smile:
Reply 3
DJkG.1
Unit for moles is mol.
Unit for volume is dm^3.

Equation for concentration is... Concentration = moles / volume

Therefore the unit for concentration is mol / dm^3.

If the volume you use is in cm^3, then the concentration calculated will be in mol / cm^3.

But it helps to convert all values to the SI units before calculating, so divide any cm^3 by 1000 to get that value in dm^3 - then go from there. :smile:

Regardless of whether you are using dm^3 or cm^3, you are still in SI units the "d" and "c" parts are simply orders of magnitude. Whether you should divide by 1000 first depends totally on what the question asks. Edexcel exams in general use mols/dm^3, but I've seen some weird and wonderful things.
Thanks guys much apperiacated. I under stand now
Reply 5
IChem
Regardless of whether you are using dm^3 or cm^3, you are still in SI units the "d" and "c" parts are simply orders of magnitude. Whether you should divide by 1000 first depends totally on what the question asks. Edexcel exams in general use mols/dm^3, but I've seen some weird and wonderful things.

Ah yeah, sorry I got my words in a mix - that point about SI units is very true. :o:

But I'm sure the OP gets the point; make sure the answer is in appropriate units which match the units of the values going into the equation. Year 7 work basically.

Latest