The Student Room Group

Are American universities and students less left-wing/liberal?

In many British universities, especially particularly political ones (ie SOAS), the right-wing/conservative agenda has very little representation and is often quite suppresed and discouraged. Often, news papers such as the Daily Mail are critizised to the point any student who does read it would be very reluctant to admit it to his peers, and would likely face ridicule or negative comments if he was seen to be openly doing so.

On the whole, British universities seem are very left-wing establishments with very little room or time for anyone perceived to be towards the right of the political spectrum. The only exception I can think of is universities like Oxford and Cambridge, which I would expect are more likely to have Conservative supporters, simply because of the sort of people those universities attract and are open to.

However, I've noticed in America, this is largely different and on campuses in America, support for the Republicans amongst students is actually quite high, and students who did support McCain during the US elections were as open and as loud as the Obama supporters, and as plentiful. What is odd is, Conservative sentiment and any publication which largely supports them (Daily Mail, etc) is often deemed to be racist, terrrible, evil, bigoted, but the Republican Party is much more right-wing than the Conservatives in the UK.

If you want to compare the Republicans to a British party, their position on the left-right scale is probably akin to UKIP (UKIP is not racist, btw, and definately in no way comparable to the BNP).

To me, it really seems that students in the US who support parties that aren't so left-wing aren't supressed to the extent they are over here. Unlike in the UK, it seems amongst young people in the US support for the Republicans does not automatically equate to bigoted racism.

However, in the UK, I've found if you tell people under 25 you suport the Conservatives, they look at you as if you've just admitted to throwing babies from rooftops or something. There truely is an unjust, negative connetation towards supporters of parties only slightly right of the political spectrum that doesn't seem to exist so much in the US.
Dunno, I'm from Sleaford so most people are dead, dead conservative. They think you're dead wierd if you say you support Labour, including all the students bar maybe about 10-15%
Reply 2
Reality has a liberal bias.
University is expensive there I think
Right wingers are Rich by steriotype.

Just a guess
Reply 4
Hope so may slow down America's decline into a trash heap. :smile:
More students would be liberal in the US.
Reply 6
It's a more right wing culture, and University is expensive as ****. So yes, probably.

To be honest, most people here say they're left wing because everyone else is and they can't be bothered to justify an alternative.
On the whole, British universities seem are very left-wing establishments with very little room or time for anyone perceived to be towards the right of the political spectrum. The only exception I can think of is universities like Oxford and Cambridge, which I would expect are more likely to have Conservative supporters, simply because of the sort of people those universities attract and are open to.

Cambridge is left wing methinks. They vote liberal democrat. Oxford I believe is slightly more on the right.

I dunno but just because of the cost of American universities I would think they are much more right wing. And ofcourse America was founded on Libertarian principles so it is bound to be on the right.
Reply 8
Cos they wanna be next to have a go with Bristol Palin.
Reply 9
What a ridiculously stupid thread; you can be right wing and liberal you know.
Most people in the Uk know nothing about politics and so vote Lib Dem cause their friends do, besides have you seen how rich you need to be to go uni in America know wonder there so right wing.
Why was this thread resurrected - not once, but twice? How weird :s-smilie:

And yes they are, but that's only a reflection of American society as a whole.
Reply 12
Generally yes, because the parents have had to pay big money to send their kids there so the students generally appreciate the true expense of a good education, how hard their parents have had to work and that there is no free lunch.

UK unis are so left wing because you only have to pay £3000 a year, which is HEAVILY subsidised, anyone can afford it so students can continue living in their left-wing fantasy world while the country sinks further and further into debt.

Indeed, there are a few hardship funds at US universities, but you have to be absolutely brilliant to have your fees subsidised or fully funded, scholarship material.

Latest

Trending

Trending