The Student Room Group

100 Days in - Is Obama doing a good job?

Poll

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's current performance as President?

As the end of first 100 days is upon us, now is an opportune time to analyse to Obama's progress as President so far. Has he lived up to the promise? Or is he proving Or has Is he FDR or just a Carter?

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's performance as president?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People still have confidence in him with what he is doing. After watching his speeches around the world, there is still support for him, so surely he is doing something right. He has made good relations with other presidents, so for me yes, he is doing a good job.
Reply 2
Has anyone watched the 'Obama Deception'? Im halfway through, and it does bring up some interesting (and shocking) points.
Reply 3
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/

Gives you a random and odd view of how he is doing, but myself, I think he's doing a pretty good job.
Reply 4
His narcissism is extraordinarily annoying.
Reply 5
He is full of hot air.

Quite frankly, I didn't expect anything else from him.
Reply 6
I think the first 100 days have generally been successful. Of course he had made mistakes with his nominations for secretarial positions, but apart from that everything else can be termed successful.
Reply 7
you can't judge him on 100 days, in bush's first 100 days a US spy plane crashed in China who would've knew his presidency would go the course it did.
Reply 8
He's done a few things, done a few bad. I think he's doing what a president should do, but he isn't anything special. He's reneged on a few too many promises...
Captain Crash
As the end of first 100 days is upon us, now is an opportune time to analyse to Obama's progress as President so far. Has he lived up to the promise? Or is he proving Or has Is he FDR or just a Carter?

Do you approve or disapprove of Obama's performance as president?

Disapprove. He has not lived up to his promise. Change? What has changed? What has he really done to take America on a different course to the Bush years? He hasn't really done anything of real significance with regards to foreign policy which is one of the main reasons he was so popular. He closed Gitmo, but do people really think that was their only prison of that nature?

Economically I'd liken him to FDR (and not in a good way). He is repeating the mistakes that FDR took when combating the Great Depression, serving to prolong economic recovery. He has saddled Americans with trans-generational debt, increased unwanted state involvement in people's lives and got tens of thousands of people including the governor of Texas talking about secession.
Jay Riall
Disapprove. He has not lived up to his promise. Change? What has changed? What has he really done to take America on a different course to the Bush years? He hasn't really done anything of real significance with regards to foreign policy which is one of the main reasons he was so popular. He closed Gitmo, but do people really think that was their only prison of that nature?

Good things that Obama's done:
-Banned torture, not just in Gitmo but elsewhere and given full disclosure on the previous administrations use.
-Made diplomatic inroads with the Islamic nations.
-Made intial efforts to mitigate global warming
-Negociated steps for nuclear disarment.
-G20
-Negociated the pirate hostage crisis
Jay Riall

Economically I'd liken him to FDR (and not in a good way). He is repeating the mistakes that FDR took when combating the Great Depression, serving to prolong economic recovery. He has saddled Americans with trans-generational debt, increased unwanted state involvement in people's lives and got tens of thousands of people including the governor of Texas talking about secession.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a libertarian... :p:

Unfortunately the overwhelming consensus is that economic stimulus was needed. The implementation may be flawed but you're up against the majority of the world's economists if you think that the best idea was to do nothing.
Reply 11
I'm reading a new edition of his book - "The Audacity of Hype"
Captain Crash
Good things that Obama's done:
-Banned torture, not just in Gitmo but elsewhere and given full disclosure on the previous administrations use.
Sorry, not releasing the names of people who carried out torture is not full disclosure. I see little to no accountability on the people who carried out torture apart from those ones who were foolish enough to let photos slip to the press. They are also still suspending habeus corpus for hundreds of detainees.
-Made diplomatic inroads with the Islamic nations.
Yep, everything is looking rosy with Iran and Pakistan.
-Made intial efforts to mitigate global warming
fair enough, I really couldn't say whether they will be effective though.
-Negociated steps for nuclear disarment.
Good luck with that one...
-G20
Same with the FDR comment. This is not a good thing.
-Negociated the pirate hostage crisis.
I you'll find it was Navy SEALS that did most of the work here...

Unfortunately the overwhelming consensus is that economic stimulus was needed. The implementation may be flawed but you're up against the majority of the world's economists if you think that the best idea was to do nothing.

The same government employed economists who ignored the people who predicted this was going to happen years before it did? Sorry if I place more value on someone who predicted it and who doesn't have an interest in seeing state spending go through the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I0QN-FYkpw
Jay Riall

Sorry, not releasing the names of people who carried out torture is not full disclosure. I see little to no accountability on the people who carried out torture apart from those ones who were foolish enough to let photos slip to the press. They are also still suspending habeus corpus for hundreds of detainees.

I suspect not realising names is more of a political compromise than anything - an attempt to salvage some level of bipartisanship. I would prefer it if the names came out, but equally I don't want a Republican party that hates the democrats more than they do right now.
Jay Riall

Yep, everything is looking rosy with Iran and Pakistan.

Turkey seem to love Obama (not least because he hasn't accused them of genocide, before you say...). With regards to Iran, Iran is at it's most diplomatic towards the US since 2001. That's an amazing turnaround in little over 3 months. Pakistan has problems, but largely due to internal strife. I'm not sure what Obama can do with this respect.
Jay Riall

Good luck with that one...

There's point being nihilistic.
Jay Riall

Same with the FDR comment. This is not a good thing.

Well you can't throw a dogmatic tantrum and refuse to work with the current system, not in the middle of the crisis. Given this, I think he worked admirably given the c
Jay Riall

I you'll find it was Navy SEALS that did most of the work here...

Didn't stop people blaming Carter for the Iranian Embassy Crisis. After all the president is the Commander-in-Chief - he is responsible for all the armed forces of the US.
Jay Riall

The same government employed economists who ignored the people who predicted this was going to happen years before it did? Sorry if I place more value on someone who predicted it and who doesn't have an interest in seeing state spending go through the roof.

I'm talking about all economists - the majority of whom support the stimulus whether employed by the Government or not. Hell even the private IMF recommends the world spends 2% of it's GDP as a stimulus.

But moreover two issues;

1)One correct prediction doesn't necessarily make one the modern Cassandra and automatically qualified to handle the response.

Partly because;
2)Of those who predicted the crisis, not all of them are of Libertarian thought.
Yeah, coz like holy prezident Cowboi George "Dubya" and co were making a good show of things.

At least Obama has a clue.
YOYOYOYO. I live like 30 minutes away from the White House, I'm pretty sure he's doing terribad, at least compared to his promises.
He's a puppet.
Captain Crash

You think the overwhelming consensus is that economic stimulus was needed? That's kind of hard to measure, isn't it? My experience has been that economists rarely agree on anything. Maybe there is a consensus among Keynesians economists that this type of stimulus is necessary, but I doubt other economists would agree.

I found this ad, signed by 200 economists, who all disagree with the stimulus:

"Notwithstanding reports that all economists are now Keynesians and that we all support a big increase in the burden of government, we the undersigned do not believe that more government spending is a way to improve economic performance. More government spending by Hoover and Roosevelt did not pull the United States economy out of the Great Depression in the 1930s. More government spending did not solve Japan’s ‘lost decade’ in the 1990s. As such, it is a triumph of hope over experience to believe that more government spending will help the U.S. today. To improve the economy, policymakers should focus on reforms that remove impediments to work, saving, investment and production. Lower tax rates and a reduction in the burden of government are the best ways of using fiscal policy to boost growth.”

I know you like to ask for sources, so here is the original ad if you would like look at it: http://www.cato.org/special/stimulus09/cato_stimulus.pdf
WASHINGTON - As many as 100 detainees at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, could end up held without trial on American soil, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates suggested Thursday, a situation that he acknowledged would create widespread if not unanimous opposition in Congress.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30511394/

At least they're out of Guantanamo!

Latest

Trending

Trending