The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Noémie
hebrew. did you know the hebrew word for shower is "douche"?

The same's the case in French (la douche), and she already speaks that! :tongue:
Reply 21
I say German because it is a challenge but when spoken properly and you learn the grammar properly, it is quite pleasant. Although I am a native speaker of English and I can assure you that I haven't found it easy!

There is also a French girl in my class learning it from scratch and she is doing fine, we're about the same level. The pronunciation is also not too difficult. I'm afraid I don't know enough about Hebrew to comment.
Reply 22
jismith1989
The same's the case in French (la douche), and she already speaks that! :tongue:

which is exactly my point, dear. *pat* :p:
Noémie
which is exactly my point, dear. *pat*

Oh. :cry:

:getmecoat:
Reply 24
jismith1989
Oh. :cry:

:getmecoat:

:lovehug: :console:
Noémie

Ah, the world's rose-tinted again. :dancing:
Reply 26
Hylean
Where's the Icelandic in there, Anatheme?! :hmmm:

I can't study Icelandic :sad:
Reply 27
Anatheme
I can't study Icelandic :sad:

I knew the day would come when you'd let me down. :sad:
Reply 28
I know that you aren't too interested in Portuguese, but it's the most unlike any other language, and fairly similiar to Italy, so it would be quite easy to pick-up. Also, it really broadens your languages, as your choices will be very versatile.
Deutsch!!! Much more useful- Germany's a far better country than any of those on the list, i do believe.
Reply 30
Hebrew. It's a very poetic language :smile:.
Reply 31
German!

I don't have any particularly good arguements for learning German over the other languages aside from the fact that, as has already been mentioned, it is more widely spoken than the other languages.

Learning German from scratch would be quite fun, it's only when you get down to the cases and stuff it gets a bit complicated.

I just like German...most of the time.
Do you understand Latin? As a classicist, I should surely be putting that forth (even if I am disregarding your list in so doing)! :yep:

Lingua mortuus it may be, but it's very interesting (especially in terms of the culture and literature to which it would give you unmediated access). As a native French speaker, you're also in an excellent position in terms of the vocabulary, and, honestly, the grammar isn't as hard as some people may suggest. Once more, this wouldn't be a module choice and you most probably wouldn't be able to get lessons, but there are some excellent self-teaching books.

Actually, on second thoughts, I bet that you could take it as an "outside module". I seem to remember that there have been people on unrelated courses in my language classes. If you could do that, I've found that the classical language lectures and classes at Manchester have been pretty well organised (and don't seem to have quite the same problems that I remember you mentioning that your Russian and Arabic classes can have).

Obviously, you'd need to be interested in the language, but I just thought that I should mention it...
Reply 33
jismith1989
Do you understand Latin? As a classicist, I should surely be putting that forth (even if I am disregarding your list in so doing)! :yep:

Lingua mortuus it may be, but it's very interesting (especially in terms of the culture and literature to which it would give you unmediated access). As a native French speaker, you're also in an excellent position in terms of the vocabulary, and, honestly, the grammar isn't as hard as some people may suggest. Once more, this wouldn't be a module choice and you most probably wouldn't be able to get lessons, but there are some excellent self-teaching books.

Actually, on second thoughts, I bet that you could take it as an "outside module". I seem to remember that there have been people on unrelated courses in my language classes. If you could do that, I've found that the classical language lectures and classes at Manchester have been pretty well organised (and don't seem to have quite the same problems that I remember you mentioning that your Russian and Arabic classes can have).

Obviously, you'd need to be interested in the language, but I just thought that I should mention it...

I studied Latin for two years, and yeah, I can kind of read it :yep: Unfortunately, it's not offered within the LEAP programme, and I think I'd rather have another go at Ancient greek as I prefered it out of the two :p:.
germaaaan :love:

you know it's amazing :biggrin:
Anatheme
Right, so I'm trying to have a look at what I'd like to do next year and was thinking of doing a 3rd language module. My problem is my list of languages I want to learn is rather large and I'm having troubles deciding. I do not care about how much a language is useful (given that I'm already studying Russian, Arabic and can speak French and English, I believe I'll be fine), I just want a language that will be interesting and culturally challenging. The choice offered at my university is impressive, however, only 4 of them appeal to me.

I - Hebrew
Right, first, there's the alphabet. But as many already knows, the alphabet is often the easiest part of a foreign language, and having studied Greek and now doing Russian and Arabic, I'm pretty sure I can cope with another alphabet. It's a semitic language, and even if easier than Modern Standard Arabic, it's not a walk in the park in comparison with some other languages. However, I really love the sound of it and I have a genuine interest in the Middle East, so combined with Arabic, I'm sure it could give me a rather large knowledge (linguistically speaking) of the region.

II - German
I fell in love with German when I went to Germany for a week, two years ago. I know a couple of words like "hello" and "thank you", but that's about it. German has cases, though, and even if I'm now used to them, I'm a bit scared I'll get them confused with Russian. However, there are lots of similarities between the two languages and it may be easier when studied in English, given the common roots. It's also a country sharing a border with France and the language is of some interest if I want to work for the EU.

III - Portuguese
I studied Italian and speak French, so I'm pretty sure this one won't be as hard as the first two if I want to learn it. However, there's not that many levels offered by the university and I'm afraid it'll be packed with Portuguese people than can't speak it (as it seems to be the case for the degree course). It sounds a bit weird and even if I like it, I'm not quite sure the culture will interest me as much as for the other languages.

IV - Italian
Finally, Italian. I've studied it for 5 years, at school, didn't get a very good grade for my final exam and now, despite being able to understand and translate it quite easily, I can't really speak or write it at all. It'll deffo be easier than any other languages I could study and it'd mean that the workload wouldn't be too heavy. However, it isn't a new language for me and I kind of want to have a look at something else. The culture amazes me, I love their literature and history, and even if I've never been there, I'm pretty sure I'd love it.

Btw, no need to ask, I don't want to learn Spanish, I have no remote interest in the culture, I'm not a big fan of the way it sounds and despite wanting to go to Argentina, I'd rather have an original combination of languages, rather than just Spanish. It also applied for Catalan. Plus I think it wouldn't too difficult to learn it if I ever need it, so at the moment, I'm not considering it. I don't want to learn any Asian (as in Mandarin, Japanese, Urdu) language either, because I don't want to have to cope with something as difficult as what I'm doing right now and I don't have any particular interest in any of the cultures. Dutch and Turkish are out of the way too, I don't know any of them and I'm not sure I really want to, anyway. Polish and Greek are of no interest either, and well, that's pretty much all.

In the end, I think I'm more attracted to Hebrew and German as they're a bit more challenging for me than Portuguese and Italian. However, I don't know which one would be the less hassle given my current combination of languages, and there are some other things to be taken into account: German may be easy for English natives, but I'm French and it doesn't have much in common with German, so I'm guessing it won't be as easy for me as for English students that would be with me in the lessons. Also, I don't know which one would be the easiest to pronounce. Anyway, that's about it, so if you can help me, don't hesitate!

Sorry, a bit off topic, but what do you plan do to with a degree in Arabic and Russian? I'm interested in similar language combinations.

Reply 36
don't you have enough on your plate already with Arabic and russian!?
Reply 37
123banana123
Sorry, a bit off topic, but what do you plan do to with a degree in Arabic and Russian? I'm interested in similar language combinations.

Foreign Affairs, diplomacy, International Relations, I guess. I already speak French so I'd speak 4 of the 6 official languages of the UN and can understand 5 of them. Or maybe I'll do something completely unrelated like anthropology, archeology, history of arts, which is why...

Si_G
don't you have enough on your plate already with Arabic and russian!?

... My combination is good, but if I could speak German, I'd have all the languages that are important in terms of literature, culture, arts, and they would allow me to be able to extend my research outside of sole English, I could read works in German or else.

My main interests are the International Relations of the Middle East and culture in general (lit and history, mainly). I'd love to speak the main languages in Europe and it would really give me extra help in my research. Although, I wouldn't recommend such a combination (Russian and Arabic), as it is quite soul destroying. You need a lot of motivation, commitment and passion and giving one up in favour of the other one is very very easily done, especially as Arabic turns to be quite frustrating. If you're not in love with grammar, just forget both languages, because there's a stupid lot of grammar and you don't want to fail because of it.

Also, I'd seriously advise you to go to both regions (Russia/Ukraine and Middle East) by yourself (not like on a nice tour organised with your parents) and see what you think of it. Cultures are extremely different from Europe and you may find yourself ill at ease with Arab people and not in the right place in Russia. I know this is all a bit depressing, but I had no one to tell me all of that and I kind of regret it a bit. Both languages and cultures are amazing, but I think I'd rather learn them/about them in a formal academic context and I'm having second thoughts for my year abroad (most people to whom I talked hated Russia at first, it apparently takes a while to get used to it). Well, if you have more questions, don't hesitate !
German cases are a bit of a pain at first, but easy enough once you get your head around them. I'd say german just becuase I love it!
however, go with what you want, dont rely on a poll!
Portuguese!!!It is such a gorgeous language! And the culture! Oh the culture! Brazilian music is absolutely amazing, really to die for, be it Bossa Nova or Samba. How about Brazilian Cinema? City of God, Carandiru, Central Station, then the author Paulo Coelho who's brill! And Portugal itself used to own the world before America, you know?! haha seriously it had an immense empire, did lots of bad things during slavery & gave us good old Christopher Columbus! Moving to Africa, you've got tonnes more culturally there, as well as Goa and more islands!

Failing Portuguese, I'd go for Italian.

edit: Colombus was Italian actually :facepalm:

Latest

Trending

Trending