The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To start with I think a lot of the medical schools won't be too fussed by the A* grade - there'll be a few which are (Cam have already upped their grade requirements and BSMS's comments as well) but eventually I wouldn't be surprised if it featured more in other medical schools grade requirements as they try to reduce the number of applications they have to look through. I think it would be a bit of a shame if loads of medical schools start using it as grades are most definitely not the only thing that is important for medicine and by excluding people with the slightly lower grades, they would be missing out on lots of people who would make excellent doctors.
Reply 21
Hygeia
To start with I think a lot of the medical schools won't be too fussed by the A* grade - there'll be a few which are (Cam have already upped their grade requirements and BSMS's comments as well) but eventually I wouldn't be surprised if it featured more in other medical schools grade requirements as they try to reduce the number of applications they have to look through. I think it would be a bit of a shame if loads of medical schools start using it as grades are most definitely not the only thing that is important for medicine and by excluding people with the slightly lower grades, they would be missing out on lots of people who would make excellent doctors.

^ So true...
Sorry could you tell me what BSMS's comments are...?
Reply 22
Aaron_1507
^ So true...
Sorry could you tell me what BSMS's comments are...?

available here
2010 from the BSMS prospectus
Achieving A* grades at A2 will be advantageous, but not having such grades will not necessarily disadvantage an applicant who is strong in other respects.
Reply 23
It will not matter for the "old syllabus" candidates, since they would not have been able to gain the A* grades. However, I was wondering how would the universities be able to tell? I know they know when we did the exams, but what if they don't look at the date of examination properly? I know that it is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless. I might bebeing paranoid, but I'm worried. I'm thinking of applying to BSMS..

Muni.
xx
maniacsandwichbar

I'm predicted B's in AS and B+ in A2 and my Personal Tutor is advising me to only apply for maximum 2 Medicine degrees as she doesn't want me to apply for 4, get my hopes up, then get rejected from them all...

Sorry, but wtf? Surely the only thing you're doing is halving your chances?
Reply 25
No Future
Sorry, but wtf?

I thought it was absurd too..

If you really want to do medicine, you should not be worried of getting a few rejections. If you fear that, then you obviously haven't researched enough as approximately 60% get no offers (four rejections). If you want to do it that much, then you'd be willing to reapply! That's how I feel anyway.

Muni.
xx
munim
It will not matter for the "old syllabus" candidates, since they would not have been able to gain the A* grades. However, I was wondering how would the universities be able to tell? I know they know when we did the exams, but what if they don't look at the date of examination properly? I know that it is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless. I might bebeing paranoid, but I'm worried. I'm thinking of applying to BSMS..

Muni.
xx

Email them and ask? I wondered about this for future applicants and was glad there were no A*s when I applied
Reply 27
No Future
Email them and ask? I wondered about this for future applicants and was glad there were no A*s when I applied

Hehe! I've done that. :P I'm waiting for a reply now..

Muni.
xx
Reply 28
Thank you for your email.

The A* grade is not a requirement at BSMS and we are still looking for grades of AAB at A2 as stated on our website for 2010 entry - www.bsms.ac.uk

I hope this is of help

Kind regards

BSMS Admissions

That's what they replied with. So apparently they won't really be considering it...
Reply 29
munim
That's what they replied with. So apparently they won't really be considering it...

Just because they say it isn't a 'requirement' doesn't mean they won't be considering it...
Reply 30
Kinkerz
Just because they say it isn't a 'requirement' doesn't mean they won't be considering it...

True..
If I was doing my A Levels over the next few years the A* grade would worry me. It probably won't have too much effect over the first year or so, but as with AAA grades, it surely won't be too long before A*AA offers start cropping up.

Getting an A* seems a damn sight harder as well, simply because there's no let up for you to not do well in an exam. I'd be going even more crazy about my June exams than I am now if I knew I had to get 90% in them.

maniacsandwichbar
I'm predicted B's in AS and B+ in A2 and my Personal Tutor is advising me to only apply for maximum 2 Medicine degrees as she doesn't want me to apply for 4, get my hopes up, then get rejected from them all...

That sounds like really poor advice to me. If you want to do Medicine, surely want to give yourself the best opportunity possible rather than start off by shooting yourself in the foot and halving your opportunities?

Not to mention the difficulties of applying for other courses seriously with a Medicine PS...
I know, I thought it was poor advice as well to be honest, but that's what she has advised me to do. She said realistically, I don't think you're going to get into Medicine as an under graduate, and so I should use 2 of my choices applying for a Medical Science degree (for example) - basically something Science related - that I have more chance of getting on...

What's your opinions?
Reply 33
maniacsandwichbar
I know, I thought it was poor advice as well to be honest, but that's what she has advised me to do. She said realistically, I don't think you're going to get into Medicine as an under graduate, and so I should use 2 of my choices applying for a Medical Science degree (for example) - basically something Science related - that I have more chance of getting on...

What's your opinions?

I think your career advisor should be fired, then taken round the back of the school building and shot.

:grin:

On a serious note, alot of careers advisors are bad at their jobs and yours seems to be no different. I think applying to two medical schools instead of four is foolish no matter how dire perceived chances of getting in are.
If you apply this year and don't get in, you get your A-level grades* and reapply. My advice would be to make a fifth choice on both occasions, on the first with lower entry requirements that AAB, on the second it shouldn't matter because you'd already have your grades. If, on the second attempt, you don't get in, it then may be time to consider GEP but even then you could do another gap year and reapply for a second time.

*if you don't get your grades (i.e. AAB+), then GEP considerations come into play, or resitting some modules to get AAA (there's a table in the FAQ showing resit policies).
Reply 34
depends on the uni, if they ask for A*, then it matters. otherwise, no.
same principal as taking 4/5/6 a levels. its not going to make your life easier and wont make you more favourable. focus on ukcat/bmat/PS etc etc
maniacsandwichbar
No, but unfortunately, a large portion of it is...

the academics are a minimum

the other attributes distinguish
maniacsandwichbar

What's your opinions?

That's what your fifth choice is for.
Yeah I know, thats what I said, but she was like What about if you get rejected from that? Then you'd be pretty screwed...
If you don't get the grades first time round, can you re-take your A Levels? (just the second year?)
What are GEP considerations?
Reply 38
maniacsandwichbar
Yeah I know, thats what I said, but she was like What about if you get rejected from that? Then you'd be pretty screwed...

I think people are always very successful with there 5th choice but I am sure that there are exceptions. even then if you do get 5 rejections then there is UCAS extra and clearing so you will still have many options. You could also just see if you get the grades then reapply if you get them and 5 rejections (if that is an option for you).

maniacsandwichbar
If you don't get the grades first time round, can you re-take your A Levels? (just the second year?)

I think retaking A level modules is OK as long as you complete your A levels in 2 years I think (need to be backed up). If your period of study is longer than 3 years e.g. retaking a whole year then resit policies come into play which can be found from universities and here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

maniacsandwichbar
What are GEP considerations?

I presume you mean GEP considerations for A level. I can't see anything in the wiki but if you just take a look at the website.
pianofingers
No, no, no!!

I've said this time and time again.

It's not a case of if you get these grades you are good enough to get in, it's a case of if you are good enough to get in, you'll be let in provided you meet the grades!!

If you meet the minimum requirements that the medical school sets out, you are fine academically. You will not be rejected from a medical school that requires AAB, if you have or are going to be predicted AAB, based on academic reasons.

Your personal statement, work experience and extra-curriculars (and performance in any admissions test if applicable) will be much more important and quite often separates the wheat from the chaff.

I agree entirely.

I know I didn't do A Levels but the basic point relates. The minimum requirement is 32 for medicine anywhere. I was predicted 32 (not even the right set of highers for my uni - they wanted 665 i was predicted 755), and I was still given an offer over people who were predicted higher than me and in the correct order.

Its not about grades to that large of an extent. Grades are the basics for getting through the door, after that everyone is pretty much equal. And even if you don't have the right grades you can still make it.

Latest

Trending

Trending