The Student Room Group

Chrysalis: Counsellor course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, very concerned about this whole thing, I'm currently halfway through my first year and have to be honest, it's turning into a bit of a shambles and feel like I'm losing faith by the minute. Starting to fear that I'm now just chucking money away after reading these comments. Any further information or advice will be appreciated
Original post by Chabob
Hi, very concerned about this whole thing, I'm currently halfway through my first year and have to be honest, it's turning into a bit of a shambles and feel like I'm losing faith by the minute. Starting to fear that I'm now just chucking money away after reading these comments. Any further information or advice will be appreciated

There is no legal requirement in the UK to have any specific training or qualifications to practice as a counsellor.

That being said, it's obviously in both the interests of your clients and yourself, to have adequate training and to be a member of a professional body; whether that's the BACP, National Counselling Society, etc.

To work in the NHS for example, you're likely to need to qualifications at degree level (it's worth checking online for some job descriptions to see what they actually specify in the requirements).

If you're looking to work privately (e.g. self-employed) then you will probably have more flexibility in the training you do and method of study.

If you're already halfway through the first year, I don't know where you would stand in terms of having your money refunded, but if it's a possibility and you don't feel that you can continue your current studies, it may be worth looking for alternative providers; some colleges run evening classes, so you may be able to find something that fits in with your life more, if you're unable to attend a full-time course.
Reply 22
Thanks a lot for the advice
Original post by Chabob
Thanks a lot for the advice

You're welcome. Good luck with it all, hope you're able to get things sorted :smile:
On my second year here. I have a big interest in cutting edge psychology and neuroscience, and the biggest problem I have is that a lot of the content from Chrysalis is simply outdated and poorly written up into course notes.

(In fact some of the course notes are absolutely patronising, but that's another issue.)

As of 2015, you're being given insufficient material to work with, and are expected to spend a lot of money on course books which may also be a bit antiquated, and as with a recent example, some of the books are totally unhelpful or unrelated to the paper you're expected to write with them.

With hypnotherapy as a core part of the course, many fellow students have ended up really none the wiser to using hypnotherapy, after a whole year, because the way it was taught meant that we had very little hands-on time in the classroom, and far too much time trying to figure it out away from the classroom, students teaching students, the blind leading the blind.

However! Some hope:

I must say some of the books are great and by putting my own curiosity for the subject to work, I've grown a lot more than the course probably would allow on its own.

To anyone who's already started the course, the study that we've got for the price of the course is invaluable in itself, and I challenge anyone not to grow - personally - from an experience like this, you will be stronger and better, more capable after this course.

The way I understand it is that this is really a profession for the life long learner, start with a beginners course like this, but move on to something (or many things) more solid and useful as you go on. Branching out into CBT, ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) or Cognitive Hypnotherapy for example.

Final Verdict!

As of 2015, (because things could change and I'd like to give them a chance to improve), I can't recommend this course for anyone first embarking on something like this.

If you're already on the course however, don't despair. Ultimately, this is a budget course with budget materials, but it's still a strong and worthwhile foundation if you can be smart with it, and take it for what it's worth. Building as you go along.

If you want to learn hypnotherapy, I would recommend finding a course specific to that, which (very importantly) has actual hands on experience and practise as a central part of the training. A lot of hypnotherapy is down to what I can only call
Reply 25
I paid £3300 for that course for the exact same reason - work full time so wanted distance learning.

It was a disaster. Chrysalis Courses are a mess internally and they treat students like dirt.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3443627&p=57622965#post57622965
wow at all the spam first page. they make it so obvious
Hello mate,

Funny you should say that, my wife enrolled on the 1st year 'Hypnotherapy course' a load of tripe!, so she withdrew, after careful consideration, she decided not to complete the remaining two year diploma due to the very very bad feedback & liquidation of the company. Not a bother tho, as I've tried getting the £500 deposit back..via teelphone & refund letter,....told their computer said 'they don't do refunds?',.. so no drama, I'm planing to pay them a visit in their Angel Crescent office, and believe me I WILL get my money, otherwise I'll be emptying their office?..My computer says 'I don't get the piss taken out of me!!!
Hey guys just to say a mega thanks with cream and sugar on top! :-)
I was about to enrol with them for the 1yrs Hypnotherapy course.
Thank you for the helpful thread, you all saved my ass.
Reply 29
Check the positive comments on this thread!! All posted the same day and very close together at a time of the day when not many people would be on social media!! Wow. Just wow. Dodgy to the max
I agree. I did 3 years with Chrysalis. The qualifications mean nothing and you would be hard pressed to get a position in any therapy based job with these diplomas. I learnt a lot personally but as mentioned by various others the courses are accredited by other companies within the group not by bacp. I've been working for Mind for 5 years but you need a degree to be a therapist. I feel it is misold. Better doing open university.
If you are considering a course with Chrysalis, my advice is don't. They are not recognised by any reputable governing body and they run the national counselling society which is their own governing body. This course will not help you to gain a job as employers want a bacp, bps or ukcp accredited course.
I studied with chrysalis for three years and I haven't been able to do much of anything with the qualifications.
I have since started a bacp accredited degree program which is miles ahead of Chrysalis and their unsafe client practices. I have since asked for references to help me with my ongoing studies and employment of which they have done neither.
I am extremely disappointed in them as an organisation and would advise all potential students to look elsewhere.
It should also be noted every tutor I had has since left the organisation within 3 years which speaks for itself.
Reply 32
Many thanks people was literally about to post my application form, I'm really interested in becoming a councillor of some kind but have no experience or qualms in that field. This seemed like the perfect resolve altho having read the negative feed back it's obviously not the answer......... Any recommendations on similar better organisations?
Reply 33
I'm about to join the course and am so glad to find this discussion about chrysalis. I checked with BACP and they said they would accept the level 4 (professional diploma) and level 5 (higher professional). The comment about chrysalis treats student like dirt worries me and also the comment about the course not preparing students well enough for work. Other courses are so much more expensive. I'm not sure what to do now.
Just finished my first year Hypnotherapy with Chrysalis. I'm having my reservations about continuing into year two due to bad things I've been hearing. Can anyone give me any positives about the course? I'd like to hear from anyone who has completed all three years and made a career out of it.
Original post by looplylou15
Just finished my first year Hypnotherapy with Chrysalis. I'm having my reservations about continuing into year two due to bad things I've been hearing. Can anyone give me any positives about the course? I'd like to hear from anyone who has completed all three years and made a career out of it.

The best that can be said is you'll be getting hands-on experience during the course, so you can get on to something better.

http://unsafespaces.com/2014/09/20/strange-goings-on-at-counselling-training-provider/
Reply 36
I can't believe they take the time to post fake positive reviews instead of providing a course worth doing.
Reply 37
hi all

i am new to this thread as i was doing a bit of research, from what i read on here it doesn't make sense. from researching on the web i am left with a few questions

1) to be a counsellor you need to be on an accredited register? surely the professional standards authority are the governing body?
2) all of chrysalis courses are on the qcf or something is that not recognised?

i guess what i am after is, is above personal opinion or fact, i just don't want to make the wrong choice!
Look at the BABCP pages - that should give you some help.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Just finished year one Hypnotherapy. I decided not to hand in my case studies and drop out of the course due to having one tutor modules 1-8 agree my case studies, then a new tutor module 9 and 10 disagree with them. I had no support, no feedback and half the class dropped out. A shambles of a company who largely remain faceless and will not respond to students serious questions until they have constructed a wordy, non-committal email that avoids answering the questions. The reply may take a week or two as well. Chrysalis also changed some of the course criteria at module 5, leaving us in disarray.

I have lost approximately £1200 so far, but would rather drop out now than ever have one of their embarrassing, unprofessional qualifications hung on my wall.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AVOID!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest