The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nah sorry but hopefully soon though
Reply 2
Received it at school yesterday!

Q1: You will carry out a redox titration using potassium manganate(VII)

Q2: You will carry out tests to identify the cations and anions in solutions of two compounds.

Q3: You will carry out tests to identify an organic compound.

Q4: You will plan an experiment to identify four organic compounds. You will not be required to carry out your plans.

I haven't really considered whether it will be a hard practical or not...
Seems like there is a lot to do in a very short period of time!

At least question 1 seems quite explicit...

Let's wait and see. My teachers do like to 'reteach' certain practicals which they obviously know will come up.

Will you guys keep posted.
Reply 3
well i did the internally assesed course work does it's pattern and the practical paper's pattern show any similaritiy?
I think its an ok practical (with the exception of the KMno4 titration which i don't remember doing at school). I normally hate the planning exercise but this one seems doable. Mucked up the planning at AS last year so glad this planning questions seems doable. Of course they're being a bit vague with "four organic compounds", but hopefully they won't throw in anything nasty with multiple functional groups, and rather stick to compounds with just the one functional group.

Few questions (some bits seem a bit too vague);

Q2 - Does this simply imply transitional metal chemistry i.e. coloured complexes, and tests for the sulphate and carbonate ions or is there something i'm missing?

Q3 - Would this involve melting point determination to idenify the compound or is it more likely just tests for functional groups in the compound?
Reply 5
@jler: thanks for posting

@Medicine Man: Yeah, Q2 does implies transition metal chemistry test like u described

Q3. Usually they tell if a melting or boiling tests are involved so that candidates can practice before hand. So I think it just means that u need to do tests like Iodoform, Fehling solution, PCl5 etc.. to identify the organic compound
faizulhu
@jler: thanks for posting

@Medicine Man: Yeah, Q2 does implies transition metal chemistry test like u described

Q3. Usually they tell if a melting or boiling tests are involved so that candidates can practice before hand. So I think it just means that u need to do tests like Iodoform, Fehling solution, PCl5 etc.. to identify the organic compound

Brilliant. Thanks.
Reply 7
...anyone got any help for the A2 Chemistry practical???
Reply 8
My teacher today was hinting that we would have to make a standard solution in the A2 edexcel practical.
man this sucks im so clueless at practicals, this hint sheet is too trivial :frown:
smilysomsom
My teacher today was hinting that we would have to make a standard solution in the A2 edexcel practical.

yes obviously you'd have to do that
Medicine Man
I think its an ok practical (with the exception of the KMno4 titration which i don't remember doing at school). I normally hate the planning exercise but this one seems doable. Mucked up the planning at AS last year so glad this planning questions seems doable. Of course they're being a bit vague with "four organic compounds", but hopefully they won't throw in anything nasty with multiple functional groups, and rather stick to compounds with just the one functional group.

Few questions (some bits seem a bit too vague);

Q2 - Does this simply imply transitional metal chemistry i.e. coloured complexes, and tests for the sulphate and carbonate ions or is there something i'm missing?

Q3 - Would this involve melting point determination to idenify the compound or is it more likely just tests for functional groups in the compound?

im clueless man please elaborate, think i'm going to fail this:mad:
Artemidoros.
im clueless man please elaborate, think i'm going to fail this:mad:

I wasn't too sure myself.

But as already posted on this thread, we shouldn't expect a melting point determination exercise.

And the bits about the tests are standard tests for cations and anions.
Medicine Man
I wasn't too sure myself.

But as already posted on this thread, we shouldn't expect a melting point determination exercise.

And the bits about the tests are standard tests for cations and anions.

loool my schools so gay we dont even get a hintsheet
Artemidoros.
loool my schools so gay we dont even get a hintsheet

thats a shame.

I only got mine on the 5th after the bank holiday monday.
Artemidoros.
yes obviously you'd have to do that

whenever we do a practical at school, the standard solution is already made for us... i think i did it once last year.
Reply 16
GUYS,
any other hints ur teacher im an international student n i dont have the least idea of what u might get 4 the practicals
help me
Reply 17
ok guys for question 2 im guessing 1 will be from either s or p block and the other from d block (transition metals)

this is just a guess because over the last 2 weeks we have done 4 practical exams all with these tests in so i think my teacher is preparing us for that.

yes question 4 seems the most doable one i have ever seen then again organic tests are just about the only think in a2 chemistry i have learnt (loads of revision needed)

can anybody tell me the tests for chloride and sulphate anions off the top of their heads because i can never remember them to save me life i cant even find them in my book at the moment

good luck to you all
sulphate is Barium Chloride x
add NaOH
acidify with HNO3 (needs to be in excess)
add AgNO3

white ppt which is soluble in dilute ammonia for Cl-
cream ppt which is soluble in conc ammonia for Br-
yellow ppt which is insoluble in conc ammonia for I-

Latest

Trending

Trending