The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To wind up fundamentalist Christians I heard.
Reply 2
It's at least partly biological. Gay men have similar brains to those of straight women, and vice versa. I believe there's also a significant sociological (etc) factor, and recent findings have shown that women at least have far more "fluid" sexuality than most people believe.

Alternately they just choose to do it because damn those kids sure love being alienated and persecuted
Because some people find people of the same sex more attractive than those of the opposite sex. And some don't find the opposite sex attractive at all.
I don't know, why don't you ask yourself :awesome:
Reply 5
Cupid Stunt
1st thing... Don't say you're born that way unless you talk about genetics etc.

I was talking to a gay friend and I just thought, why do people turn gay? Some people say they can't help not being attracted to the opposite and liking the same sex, however, there must be some sort of explanation.

Psychological? Biological? I don't know, does anyone know?

There are a variety of gay people out there, and their stories of 'coming out' and 'realisation' are as varied as they are.

Some gay people, indeed, see it as a cultural thing. The same way you meet 'Jewish' people who have absolutely no belief in God, but are attached to Jewish practice in a cultural way. Some 'gay' people don't have a particular attraction to males, but feel that they fit in CULTURALLY with the gay community.

Some gay people are 'born that way'. Their genetic makeup predisposes them to sexual attraction to the same sex. I can't name a specific gene mutation which causes this behaviour, and I'm not sure geneticists have 100% certainty that they have uncovered such an explanation. But I don't see why not. There are an infinite amount of possible sexual inclinations - some people like feet, some people like bondage, some people like grannys, and some people like the same sex. It's just another sexual variation.

Some people are 'gay' because they want to be different, and go against the flow. Perhaps to rebel against an over-bearing homophobe father or something.

Some people are 'gay' because it gives them some unlimited touching privileges with very hot members of the opposite sex.

The reasons are many, and I don't think we will ever be able to find a single universal cause for homosexuality. Sometimes it is psychological, sometimes it is a conscious decision based on culture-fitting, anarchy or deception. Sometimes it's genetic. Sometimes it's 'just a phase'.
Ive heard that a girl putting her finger(s) up a guys bum during sex acts can make him a gay :eek:

(for the slower TSR members, that was clearly not serious)
Reply 7
Becaause they're happier that way
Reply 8
You can't ask why someone turns gay, it's not a choice.

Some people simply feel that way, whether they like it or not, some people grow out of it, some people only admit it to themselves very late in life.
Reply 9
What makes you think they "turn"?
They might be born that way.
in_jeopardy
You can't ask why someone turns gay, it's not a choice.

Some people simply feel that way, whether they like it or not, some people grow out of it, some people only admit it to themselves very late in life.

This.
Reply 11
Mush
There are a variety of gay people out there, and their stories of 'coming out' and 'realisation' are as varied as they are.

Some gay people, indeed, see it as a cultural thing. The same way you meet 'Jewish' people who have absolutely no belief in God, but are attached to Jewish practice in a cultural way. Some 'gay' people don't have a particular attraction to males, but feel that they fit in CULTURALLY with the gay community.

Some gay people are 'born that way'. Their genetic makeup predisposes them to sexual attraction to the same sex. I can't name a specific gene mutation which causes this behaviour, and I'm not sure geneticists have 100% certainty that they have uncovered such an explanation. But I don't see why not. There are an infinite amount of possible sexual inclinations - some people like feet, some people like bondage, some people like grannys, and some people like the same sex. It's just another sexual variation.

Some people are 'gay' because they want to be different, and go against the flow. Perhaps to rebel against an over-bearing homophobe father or something.

Or were fiddled by the local priest/vicar/x (non-denominational)

Some people are 'gay' because it gives them some unlimited touching privileges with very hot members of the opposite sex.

Which is why all women are secretly lesbians: fact:

The reasons are many, and I don't think we will ever be able to find a single universal cause for homosexuality. Sometimes it is psychological, sometimes it is a conscious decision based on culture-fitting, anarchy or deception. Sometimes it's genetic. Sometimes it's 'just a phase'.

Actually it's likely to be a combination of everything you said in some, and purely genetic in others.
People who turn gay are the result of men who finally understand how a womans brain works. Unfortunatly, when a man learns this information. It consumes their BRAAAIIIN!!!11
AwesomeAnt
People who turn gay are the result of men who finally understand how a womans brain works. Unfortunatly, when a man learns this information. It consumes their BRAAAIIIN!!!11

that makes noooooooo sense
Reply 14
aleathiel
that makes noooooooo sense

That's because you're a woman. :tongue:
I still don't understand how someone can be born gay, I think it's a social and psychological thing. You're born with a penis for the very reason to have children, the moment you are born a male = you are male. I personally think it's Psychological but I could be very wrong.
relationships with their father and other male family members, but good news i've heard there's a cure for this problem now!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_8024000/8024392.stm
Reply 17
the living legend
relationships with their father and other male family members, but good news i've heard there's a cure for this problem now!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_8024000/8024392.stm

Yeah but nearly every other Dr thinks this guy is a total crackpot.

Among the bars and neon lights of Chelsea, we met Kirk, a doctor himself.

"I'm a doctor and I can't make myself straight nor would I want to," he said.

It's no better than pray out the gay was. And look how many suicides that lead too!
Reply 18
I know examples of both spectrum of this question. Homosexuality can be psychological. But it can also appear in a heterosexual environment from an extremely young age as well. But then again the causes of differing sexualities are complicated
Reply 19
Cupid Stunt
1st thing... Don't say you're born that way unless you talk about genetics etc.

I was talking to a gay friend and I just thought, why do people turn gay? Some people say they can't help not being attracted to the opposite and liking the same sex, however, there must be some sort of explanation.

Psychological? Biological? I don't know, does anyone know?

I love your posts, I remember a big dispute about three months ago over your views. Good for you on your biggoted ways - it's dying out in the world and good to see some people saying this sort of stuff, challenging society's acceptable conduct

In response to your question - simply put, in the words of one of my closest friends, who, like me, is a homo, "Because it's FUN" Whether that's right or not I doubt, but I must admit I'm not ashamed, and I do have lots of fun!

People often ask, especially on here "Do you want to be gay" to which I always respond "No." Then asked, "If you could not be gay, would you" Again, "No." It's part of who I am, and occasionally its good to have a laugh at it, whether in fully humour, or just due to biggoted statements and insensitive questions like the ones Cupid Stunt poses

Latest

Trending

Trending