The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Meus
Some people are citing this genetics theory as fact. As far as I knew they were theories, those who propagate them along with their critics. If it is genetic, like one critic argues, how would a 'gay' gene continue through a family line if gays cannot procreate? Unless there are a significant amount of 'closet' homosexuals who have children with their wives and girlfriends. But society is becoming more tolerant of homosexuals, especially compared to previous generations, and if that continues then we could conceivably see less and less gay/lesbian in hidden marriages - meaning less of a potential 'gay' gene being inherited.

The theory of genetics is a fact. Scientific fact. The theory of evolution is the same.

If the gene is a gene for attraction to men, then it will make women more fertile and sexually promiscuous and men gay. Evolution cannot explain homosexuality is the worst and biggest myth so far.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13674-evolution-myths-natural-selection-cannot-explain-homosexuality.html
Reply 81
Cupid Stunt

Why are you saying I'm a 'closet case' ... Are you bullying me because I'm possibly gay?

How clever, you're such a genius.

Yes I am. Don't call me mate. And thank you for the complement!
Reply 82
Spacecam
Yes I am. Don't call me mate. And thank you for the complement!

I won't call you mate anymore in case you find out where I live then try to beat me up. Why do you feel the need to make yourself sound big and important on an internet forum?

Seriously, it's the most pointless thing you can do mate. Why would I care about what you don't want to read? :confused:

Also, you look about 16 yourself in that picture, it's not a bad thing though.
Reply 83
caroline147
Then there's your answer to the original question.

I'd class it as a sexual orientation, yes. Why would it need an explanation?
Though I have sometimes wondered whether the Earth is becoming overpopulated so we've evolved with other sexual orientations, in order to reduce heterosexual reproduction. It's interesting.

Two fallacies here the Earth is not over populated and we evolved homosexuality before humans, it merely existed in our ancestors who became human, so that is a bit of a non starter. Almost all higher order mammals have homosexual animals in their groups.

The birth order effect means that the more boys a woman has the more likely they will be gay. Probably because 80 girls can get pregnant from 1 man, but 80 males fighting over 1 female could get bloody. :wink: Thus our ancestors genes limited too many males in a group.

Coupling that with the gay sibling effect on women's fertility produces a feedback loop capable of regulating numbers of men and women to ideal levels to be viable in terms of natural selection: ergo evolution explains homosexuality. That's my theory anyway.
Reply 84
Completely unrelated but Cupid Stunt is pretty good looking!
JMonkey
Two fallacies here the Earth is not over populated and we evolved homosexuality before humans, it merely existed in our ancestors who became human, so that is a bit of a non starter. Almost all higher order mammals have homosexual animals in their groups.

I wasn't asserting it as fact, it's just something I've pondered (as, if we believe [as I do] that sexuality is a physical/genetic issue, then we have to question why that might be).

The Earth isn't overpopulated? I'd say that's debatable. & the existence of homosexual animals in other races doesn't disprove the theory anyway.

JMonkey

The birth order effect means that the more boys a woman has the more likely they will be gay. Probably because 80 girls can get pregnant from 1 man, but 80 males fighting over 1 female could get bloody. :wink: Thus our ancestors genes limited too many males in a group.

Coupling that with the gay sibling effect on women's fertility produces a feedback loop capable of regulating numbers of men and women to ideal levels to be viable in terms of natural selection: ergo evolution explains homosexuality. That's my theory anyway.

Hmm, I quite like that theory. That might make sense.
Reply 86
Nick_000

Yep. I'd tap that :hump2:
Reply 87
caroline147
I wasn't asserting it as fact, it's just something I've pondered (as, if we believe [as I do] that sexuality is a physical/genetic issue, then we have to question why that might be).

The Earth isn't overpopulated? I'd say that's debatable. & the existence of homosexual animals in other races doesn't disprove the theory anyway.

Did you actually read anything I've written so far?

Read the links in all my posts then read what I said again.

And Europe's population is stagnant. Africa's growing, the second world stagnating. The myth of an over populated Earth is exaggerated, with modern farming techniques China could feed the whole planet on its own.

Then read this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723884.900-the-big-brother-effect.html

or this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9413-male-sexuality-may-be-decided-in-the-womb.html

Male sexuality may be decided in the womb

* 18:09 26 June 2006 by Alison Motluk

If you are male, having more older brothers makes it more likely you will be gay - and a new study suggests the basis of this is biological rather than environmental. The crucial factor influencing the likelihood of male homosexuality may be how many brothers were born before you to the same mother, not how many brothers you were brought up with.

The "fraternal birth order effect" - the finding that each additional older brother increases your chances of being homosexual by about 30% - has long been dogged by the suggestion that social factors rather than biological ones underpin it (see The big brother effect).

Some proposed that perhaps rough-and-tumble play between brothers, or even sexual abuse, may have led the impressionable younger boys to become gay.

Now Anthony Bogaert at Brock University in St Catharines, Canada, has largely ruled that out. He examined four population samples of homosexual and heterosexual men - 944 men in total.

The fourth sample included gay men who had grown up with non-biological male siblings. Bogaert reasoned that if simply being raised around a lot of older brothers had produced the effect, it should not matter whether they were born to the same mother or not.

In fact, it did matter: only the number of biological older brothers predicted sexual orientation in men, Bogaert found. This was true even when the biological older brothers lived separately. "It's pretty strong in suggesting a prenatal origin," he says.

Journal reference: Proceedings on the National Academy of Sciences (DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0511152103)
Reply 88
Is female homosexuality interpreted to be the same to male homosexuality - genetically speaking?
Reply 89
caroline147

The earth isn't overpopulated. Its just that cetain areas are extremely overpopulated whilst vast amounts have little or no population.
Reply 90
Spacecam
Yep. I'd tap that :hump2:

Your pic isn't so bad either! :p:
Reply 91
Nick_000

Why thank you. :smile: lol
JMonkey
Did you actually read anything I've written so far?

Read the links in all my posts then read what I said again.

And Europe's population is stagnant. Africa's growing, the second world stagnating. The myth of an over populated Earth is exaggerated, with modern farming techniques China could feed the whole planet on its own.

Then read this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723884.900-the-big-brother-effect.html

or this:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9413-male-sexuality-may-be-decided-in-the-womb.html

I didn't get a chance to read your edit, no. Not sure why I'm being held accountable for that. I'd read all your existing posts.

Nick_000
The earth isn't overpopulated. Its just that cetain areas are extremely overpopulated whilst vast amounts have little or no population.

On the overpopulation thing, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. But just from pure reason alone, we can see that limited resources + unlimited reproduction would eventually lead to overpopulation without some sort of regulation. Perhaps homosexuality and other sexualities are nature's 'regulation'? It's just a thought.
Reply 93
caroline147
I didn't get a chance to read your edit, no. Not sure why I'm being held accountable for that. I'd read all your existing posts.

Read the links in them. :rolleyes:

On the overpopulation thing, I'm not going to pretend to be an expert. But just from pure reason alone, we can see that limited resources + unlimited reproduction would eventually lead to overpopulation without some sort of regulation. Perhaps homosexuality and other sexualities are nature's 'regulation'? It's just a thought.

That's exactly what I said but with scientific evidence not speculation. :tongue:

You're saying we've evolved a mechanism to limit population without ever being over populated, that's illogical.

In rats yes in humans no.
Reply 94
jump-up
cos they are batty innit and want bum fun

ROFL, epic. +REP
Reply 95
heres another question. who really cares? when one of my friends told me he was gay, i didnt start wondering "hmm i wonder what turned him". i just accepted that thats who he is, end of. he's still who he was before he told me, except now he isnt hiding another part of himself, and i respect him for that.
Reply 96
kmcassley
heres another question. who really cares? when one of my friends told me he was gay, i didnt start wondering "hmm i wonder what turned him". i just accepted that thats who he is, end of. he's still who he was before he told me, except now he isnt hiding another part of himself, and i respect him for that.

Gay scientists? :tongue:

Fred Phelps.

God apparently.

I came out as straight in college after years of living a lie! So solidarity with all my straight homies in the house. BE what you are! You've got to let it show people!
JMonkey
Read the links in them. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I said but with scientific evidence not speculation. :tongue:

You're saying we've evolved a mechanism to limit population without ever being over populated, that's illogical.

In rats yes in humans no.

Your links are about the theory that either the homosexual gene increases fertility in women/siblings are homosexual to prevent infighting, no? That's not 'exactly what I said' as far as I'm aware.

Why is it illogical? We need to prevent the problem, surely? Just like we had the ability to limit our food intake before we had a surplus of food.

I could've done with some links, yeah. But I made it clear that I was speculating so surely it's a forgivable crime? :p:

I wasn't putting forward any specific view with that theory. It's H&R not D&D :o:
Reply 98
caroline147
Your links are about the theory that either the homosexual gene increases fertility in women/siblings are homosexual to prevent infighting, no? That's not 'exactly what I said' as far as I'm aware.

Why is it illogical? We need to prevent the problem, surely? Just like we had the ability to limit our food intake before we had a surplus of food.

I could've done with some links, yeah. But I made it clear that I was speculating so surely it's a forgivable crime? :p:

I wasn't putting forward any specific view with that theory. It's H&R not D&D :o:

In order for a trait to be selected for it must actually favour an environment that has actually existed in that animals evolutionary history, man has never lived in over populated areas for any length of time because we are acquisitive and violent and we move at speed. Is that clearer? I know you're speculating but this is a student forum, so expect criticism of hypothesis.

Mine is about promoting optimal breeding solutions for producing offspring by population regulation. As it stands I'd say it's a lot more solid a hypothesis than yours. Without trying to sound condescending.
Although people on here saying ... it's not a choice ... well, it could be to some extent. I don't think it's inconceivable to say that someone can convince themselves that they are attracted to the same sex and almost learn that behaviour and come to define themselves as gay.

Latest

Trending

Trending