The Student Room Group
Reply 1
mattspurs_1991
What are everyones thoughts on this exam? Anyone have any good weather/climate notes they can share? I find it the hardest area of the exam so it would be really helpful.

WOW! There is actually someone out there who does this spec! This exam is very easy, much easier than AS. I took it in Jan and got a B. That was with one day revision and selfteachin myself the atmosphere stuff in a matter of hours! (DON'T MEAN TO SOUND BIGHEADED)

I don't have any notes to share but I suggest buying those little green books, Phillip Allen Updates Geography Edexcel Specification A Unit 4. I used this and it has everything you need in a small space. I am retaking this Unit later on in June. What is the other question you are doing? Glaciers or Ecosystems? I am doing Atmosphere and Glaciers, I hate Glaciers and love atmosphere!
http://www.geographypages.co.uk/as1.htm i found this website quite helpful.

dont spoz you have any hints on how to write the essays? I can do the human ones but the physical i have no idea how to set the stupid thing out and what to include to get a good grade.
Reply 3
I'm looking for some Weather and Climate notes as well. Does anyone have any in like a Word document format?

I looked at the geographypages.co.uk site but everything seemed a bit confusing!
I've got some great Glaciation notes I can upload if anyone is interested?

Cheers, Adam
Reply 4
adambedford
I'm looking for some Weather and Climate notes as well. Does anyone have any in like a Word document format?

I looked at the geographypages.co.uk site but everything seemed a bit confusing!
I've got some great Glaciation notes I can upload if anyone is interested?

Cheers, Adam

oh can you upload please, that would be mega helpful!
emmmily
oh can you upload please, that would be mega helpful!

:ditto:
Reply 6
Just tried to upload the glaciation notes. Unfortunately the files are too big to upload onto TSR, but I can email them over if you give me your email address.

Could someone please upload some notes on atmosphere?!?! My exam is on friday and despite spending a lot of time looking on the internet and in text books, I still dont fully understand about Anticyclones, El Nino and Lapse rates!!
yeah doing this spec too, seems like people that do are very few and far inbetween. if you could send me those glaciation notes it would be much appreciated dude.
oh and does anyone know what the structure of the essay answers should be like???
Reply 8
im ignoring lapse rates, ive just written out rossby waves/jet streams in a simple way to my friend if you want that?
and anticyclones are really simple, mainly about the weather conditions they bring rather than formation
Reply 9
emmmily
im ignoring lapse rates, ive just written out rossby waves/jet streams in a simple way to my friend if you want that?
and anticyclones are really simple, mainly about the weather conditions they bring rather than formation

when I took the exam in jan I didn't learn Lapse rates. But I know them now, they aren't that bad lol! Glaciation is the nasty topic!
emmmily: I think I'm OK with jet streams/rossby waves, but thank you anyway :smile:
ashwin123456789: I've emailed you the notes now...sorry for taking such a long time, internet was down.

The essays I have been writing have basically been:

Intro: Discuss what the essay is about and briefly mention the major points to be explained.

Content (at least 2-3 paragraphs): Expand on the topics mentioned in the introduction. Try to go into as much detail as possible...use examples etc.

Conclusion: Sum up what has been said. I generally make a nice finishing sentence that is quite similar to the question/introduction just closing everything up and making it sound quite nice.

I'm not learning lapse rates either! I will stick to anticyclones/depressions and the ITCZ and El Nino/La Nina.

Is everyones exam tomorrow morning then? (Mine is!)
******** myself over this exam tomorrow...
cheers adam but i dont think it sent, if you could try send it again please.
btw i think that ecosystems is going to be the hardest by a country mile..
anyone got any tips 4 that part?
Am i definately right in thinking that they will never ask you two questions from the same section of a topic? So never 2 fluvioglacial questions or 2 soils question?
Reply 14
what an AWFUL exam!
emmmily
what an AWFUL exam!

It wasn't that bad lol!

I did it in Jan and got a B so I wasn't to worried - I answered question 1 on air mases and question 3 on retreat/advancement of glaciers. what did you answer? I was gona do question 6 on soils as it was very easy but stupidly answered glaciers insted!
Reply 16
I HATED that exam too!
Did glaciers and Soils and just hated how they were worded...
UGH! I thought Periglacial was definetly going to come up. Horrible for the 'final' exam. :frown:
Hate, hate, hate.
Reply 17
London271
It wasn't that bad lol!

I did it in Jan and got a B so I wasn't to worried - I answered question 1 on air mases and question 3 on retreat/advancement of glaciers. what did you answer? I was gona do question 6 on soils as it was very easy but stupidly answered glaciers insted!

i did the same as you, we only did those two sections. It was terrible, most stressed i've ever been about an exam! I want an A but I'm thinking thats not happening! I just felt like I wasted so much time and effort revising for that when the stupid topics came up! argh.

Latest

Trending

Trending