The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey
Im soo glad ive found this thread! I love the pre release material, its one of the best topics ever!! So far my teacher hs told us its fairly simple with topics TNCS, NICS, Cinflict over local resource and core periperhy issues. However, item 5 has lots of little topics such as soils and rivers so its quite a broad range really. Ive done loadsa research and love this midule now :-)
Reply 2
Yeh ive had a few frees today, worked through lunch etc -i got a tad excited methinks. Has your teacher said much about it?
Reply 3
My teacher cannot pronounce properly any of the place names, its ******* hilarious. :rofl2:
Reply 4
I'm so glad I've found this thread! At the moment i'm thinking it's about conflict over a resource, TNCs/NICs and core/periphery...I did NOT appreciate the soils reference at the end.

But our teacher was away yesterday so no-ones gone through it with us yet.
Reply 5
One of our teachers walked into the classroom and said "it's awful! Terrible! We weren't expecting that at all! Its about mining in India. Mining! In India!" It gave us great confidence.

When the other (better) teacher gave us the booklet, it didn't seem that bad. I'm thinking conflict over the use of a resource and TNCs as well as a few other little topics.

As for proununciation, my teacher just says "I'm not even going to bother trying to say that" and moves on.

For research, I looked the company up on the internet and got some news articles from google.
Reply 6
Well I got the pre release on Friday minutes before my teacher went home ill.
Then reading it reminded me of the coca cola case study in India.
I don't know what to do with Item 4 though... :/
Reply 7
I this case study is much better than the one I did in January 09 (Im resiting). The Jan 09 was mainly about conflicts over resource/population/manufacturing/rivers,flooding/housing
that sort of thing.
Reply 8
Our teacher has told u its pretty straight forward and the questions should be pretty easy :-). This apparently happened a few years ago and he said the same but another teacher said there has to be more to it and in the exam it was straigh forward :-)
Reply 9
mad-cow18
Our teacher has told u its pretty straight forward and the questions should be pretty easy :-). This apparently happened a few years ago and he said the same but another teacher said there has to be more to it and in the exam it was straigh forward :-)

Let me all give you some advice. Dont try to second-guess the questions too much. Its okay to do a few lessons around some likely decision-making questions but from my experience, if you delve into these questions a lot then you get too many preconceived ideas which stop you from being synoptic and coming into the exam with a more open mind. This is what happened to me when I did the GGB5 in jan09 and ended up getting a lame D.
So focus more on really understanding the problems and attitudes.
Reply 10
Is it me or is this the best bit of the whole two years! We did something similar in Economics in January and it was a piece of cake for sure. I just checked the mountain out on Google Earth and it really gives you some perspective, you can see the actual development. Does anyone reckon there'll be anymore than TNCs, conflict over a resource, hydrology etc? I have actually never looked forward to an exam more :smile:
x
Reply 11
Am I glad Ive found this, my geogrpahy teacher thinks the links with the syllabus are:
TNCs
Core/Periphary
Conflict Over Resources
Rivers
Soils
Population

If you search Vedanta Resources on google, the video on the first link is an excellent piece of media on the local tribe and Vedanta
Reply 12
Right I just had a lesson of going through the booklet. Highlighting key facts and opinions. I know its early days and I said that you shouldnt try to rely on predicting questions but I think the questions will revolve around...
The attitudes of the Niyamgiri tribal people relating to Vedanta's decision on locating there.
Reasons why the place was chosen in the first place.
How could Vedanta improve its relationship with the Niyamgiri tribal people. Justify the improvements you would make.
Something to do with, improving Corissa state by Vedanata locating there OR not touching the cultural and meaningful place for the Niyamgiri people.
Reply 13
josht111
My teacher also said if they ask a question about the Vedanta's ethics, then is very important to also highlight the good work they have done. From the booklet, they create a very bad image, but going on their website shows the work they do with AIDS, environmental repair and charities.

good point!
Ohh I've not seen this video, shall check it out.
our teacher has told us that from what he has researched, if we get asked why this has caused conflict, to talk a lot about the Indian government, because they do not know exactly what they want to do with the area what with it being a nature reserve but also declaring it a special economic zone.
Reply 15
i haven't been through the booklet yet with my teacher, as i'm the only one resitting :frown:
what topics do you all think might come up??
:smile:
Reply 16
Kelly Welly
i haven't been through the booklet yet with my teacher, as i'm the only one resitting :frown:
what topics do you all think might come up??
:smile:

Topics:
TNC's obviously (Vedanta main priorities seem to be impressing shareholders by cutting costs/generating profit and not regarding employees/communities opinions much)
Core Periphery (Corissa state hasnt had much investment i.e. it is a peripheral zone but it seems to be a resource frontier )
Renewable/Non renewable energy - sustainability, conservation areas.

Not gone through the last three pages sodont kno what physical topics there are which i presume are mentioned at the end..?
Reply 17
can someone scan the pre-release material please? or is there a website where you can a hold of this pre-release material?

thank you
Reply 18
Does anyone know what topics came up in the January 2009 papers (Synoptic and Global change), this would make it easier to predict what topics will come up in June 2009 as the pattern seems to be whatever topics come up in the January exams do not come up again the June exams in the same year, need a reply ASAP, plzzzz
Ok I'm new to this here goes -
Jan GGB4 - human topics - separatism & core-periphery, so they wo'nt be in June's paper

Pre-release material -
Role of TNCs in the global economy - don't forget Item 1 is strong on the cost-cutting benefits of TNCs like Verdanta/Sterlite + increased production
Think about the impact on the Indian economy if some of its major inputs ate now at least 25% cheaper. Don't forget it owns power stations as well.
Orissa is referred to as the neglected state - you need to weigh up the benefits of economic development against the environmental & social impact etc.
Item 4 - I can't see much maths to be done here
Take a look at the stretch of coastline between Paradip & Gopalpur on Google Earth or Google maps - it may be designated a Special Economic Region - but it doesn't look too special to me. This area really needs a boost!
Also cxheck out the plant at Lanjigarh - it's east of the 'town' & much bigger, the Niyamgiri hills are just to the south.

Item 3 - check out rhetoric (what Vedanta says) against the reality of how it operates (Item 5)

Night all, happy studying:woo: :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending