The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Down 'n' in
in all hoesty the ports don't have a chance on being on par with rotterdam or houston.
there is also the environmental effects of toxic waste ponds by a river in an area that gets hit by monsoons. so flooding may come up again *cries*.

I was also thinking the same..they will probably make a 10 mark question on physical stuff such as flooding and soils so imlearning everything and if make full aswers to all the questions in this thread and learn them i would have thought a good mark would be available because its all about the AIB and lots of mini questions to get you thinking about the case study!! I am so looking forward to next friday now-im just ready to do the exam now and its so annoying having to wait another nearly 2 weeks before we can sit the exam. GRR
The Dance Police
josht111
My God man! That's quite an epic first post! Bravo. :yy:

It sure is, and thanks, that post helped by the bucket load! :yep:
Reply 62
Ahh glad I found one of these again!
Did this paper in Jan.. messed it up.. and I really don't like the look of this one either!
Thanks for the help! And if I find anything useful etc I'll let you all know
:smile:
Reply 63
hey thanks for all the help in here its really useful.
i am also resittin after failing the january exam :|

we havent been taught anything for this module so its all down to me and im really worried. after the january exam i wrote absolutely loads and thought id got at least enough for a C and i came out with a U. im really scared this is gonna happen again because i need a B in geog for uni and its this exam which will swing it

do u reckon im just answering the questions totally wrong? considering weve been taught barely anything on how to prepare and answer the questions i was wondering if anyone had any advice? thanks
Reply 64
We have done no in class preparation. Thank God for this thread. :sigh:
*_sophs_*
One of our teachers walked into the classroom and said "it's awful! Terrible! We weren't expecting that at all! Its about mining in India. Mining! In India!" It gave us great confidence.

When the other (better) teacher gave us the booklet, it didn't seem that bad. I'm thinking conflict over the use of a resource and TNCs as well as a few other little topics.

As for proununciation, my teacher just says "I'm not even going to bother trying to say that" and moves on.

For research, I looked the company up on the internet and got some news articles from google.

Regarding research, does anyone have any firm ideas on how much own knowledge is appropriate.

For the more general questions in previous years (which could be taken straight out of GGB4, like 'explain why globabl warming is occuring, using own knowledge and AIB'), own knowledge has been a significant part and stated that it allows access to Level 3. But in questions directly referring to the AIB, it's less clearly stated, and AQA say a thorough knowledge of the AIB can get full marks.

For example, one of the judges in the supreme court case said "the tribal people have no place in this case", and all the judges refused to even listen to the tribe's point of view, by walking out. But would this actually give you credit in a question about, say, the planning processes and how they have operated?
Reply 66
From what ive heard the main bulk of the answer will be from the AIB but you can put little bits in from research to support your point. The main point being the theory is vital to get the higher marks so geoglogial flexibility, transfer of technology need to be placed in the answer also. But yes add snippets of research into your answer i would have thought.
Reply 67
From reading through the booklet; item 2,3 and 5 seem alright but i dont know what to make of item 1 and 4 can any1 help!
in the exam, i think it's quite hard. Haven't really gone through it that much. Can i put anything from the spec as long as i can justify it?
Reply 69
i haven't done much extra research though i do know the booklet inside and out now, all i want is a B in this exam, i think this'll be enough, right?
Reply 70
Ratiasu
i haven't done much extra research though i do know the booklet inside and out now, all i want is a B in this exam, i think this'll be enough, right?

Iwould have thought so and the theory of TNCs will be fine form what ive seen on examiners reports etc.
Reply 71
Research outside the AIB is good, but not too much. The type of research you should do is, general info about Companies mentioned. Other case studies with a similar scenario. And maybe the economy of the country and state.

We did a practise exam before on the Poland Case Study and it specifically said on the markscheme that if research is noted in answers, then it should be given marks.
Reply 72
mad-cow18
Iwould have thought so and the theory of TNCs will be fine form what ive seen on examiners reports etc.

Good to hear, but now that I actually have some free time I've been looking around a lot of websites, but all I can find are negative comments about Vedanta, except the Vedanta site itself, which is probably biased, does anyone know where i can find something nice about Vedanta that isn't by themselves?

Edit: similar case studies? i can't think of any, does anyone here know any that could be used during the exam to compare this with?
aye, im the same, can't find anything really which states the benefits of Vedanta mining in the Kalahandi District.
For TNC and NIC, im just looking at GGB4 mark schemes, i.e http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-GGB4-W-MS-JUN06.PDF , and just relating it to vedanta.
Ive also been reading up on the benefits of bauxite to the area.. mining bauxite will destroy water recharging capacity and will cause desertification of perennial streams for Lakhs (100,000) of people in southern Orissa in which they depend upon this water for drinking and irrigation for intensive subsistence paddy farming.... Bauxite has a high level of porosity therefore increasing its water retention capacity...just stuff like that.

Ive also done abit of background work into fitting Orissa into Friedmanns core periphery model, and the reforms of privatisation and liberalisation of India mentioned in Item 1.
Reply 74
i need to read up on core/periphery, my teacher didn't do it because it wasn't going to be in the GGB4 exam, so i hope a little reading from my textbook will do it

well since we can't find much/nothing on good things about vedanta mining then they won't expect it during the exam, at least that's what i hope
Reply 75
Ratiasu
Good to hear, but now that I actually have some free time I've been looking around a lot of websites, but all I can find are negative comments about Vedanta, except the Vedanta site itself, which is probably biased, does anyone know where i can find something nice about Vedanta that isn't by themselves?

Edit: similar case studies? i can't think of any, does anyone here know any that could be used during the exam to compare this with?

Well my teacher said 'Uluru' is a good case study but I cannot find much info about it.
So here is another study I found:

Papuan Tribes
How do they live?

Papua is home to around 312 different tribes, including some uncontacted peoples. The central mountainous region of Papua is home to the highland peoples, who practice pig husbandry and sweet potato cultivation. The lowland peoples live in swampy and malarial coastal regions, and live by hunting the abundant game, and gathering.
Some of the many Papuan tribal languages are related to others, but some are completely unique. The people are ethnically distinct from the Indonesians who control their country.

What problems do they face?

All the Papuan peoples have suffered greatly under the Indonesian occupation which began in 1963. The Indonesian army has a long history of human rights violations against the Papuans, and the racist Indonesian soldiers generally view the Papuan people as little more than animals.
Papua’s natural resources are being exploited at great profit for the Indonesian government and foreign businesses, but at the expense of the Papuan peoples and their homelands.
When international companies come to Papua, the Indonesian military accompanies them to ‘protect’ the ‘vital projects’. The military presence is almost always associated with human rights violations such as killings, arbitrary arrests, rape and torture.
Those Papuans who protest against the Indonesian government, the military or ‘vital projects’ are even more likely to experience abuses of their human rights.
I found another case study for an operation in Tamil Nadu (in figure 1, page5), Southern India.
Vedanta's subsidiary MALCO has had to stop illegal bauxite mining in the Kolli Hills.
Kolli Hills is similar to that of Niyamgiri as they are rich in biodiversity, medicinial plants and have around 250 tribal villages home to 35,000 people.

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=8935
Reply 77
Just like to say thank you muchly for such a great video Toffee, it has plenty of additional quotes from the locals and also hints at the impacts of red mud and how this may tie into the questions asked in the exam - even if not a physical question, one could use physical evidence to support the Niyamgiri tribes' argument.

The impact of tropical cyclones on the area now that, in the dry seaon, the red mud ponds dry up, will be much more hazordous to locals given the blowing of toxic red mud dust into the atmosphere, is a good source of synoptic material the examiners may expect in the detailed answers.
Reply 78
Ok, just want to check some things up!

Vedanta - host country: India
origin country: UK? (is that right, even though it was formed by indian buisnessman?)

Core and Periphery stuff.
Core areas: Maharashtra (city of Mombai), West Bengal (Calcutta) and Andra Pradesh. Fastest growth rates in 1990's.
Periphry: Orissa, Utter Pradesh and Bihar account for 46% of indias poor in 1999. other eastern states - generally have lower life expectancy, poor education so less economic growth?
Reply 79
brilliant case studies, thanks very much

Latest

Trending

Trending