The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
21 people in my year from about 250 applicants though they have apparently reduced the numbers accepted now so your chances will be less than this, by how much I've no idea.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
TSL
21 people in my year from about 250 applicants though they have apparently reduced the numbers accepted now so your chances will be less than this, by how much I've no idea.

Okay thanks. Do you have any advice for me, anything specifically I could do to increase my chances?

Thanks
Reply 3
Darkest Knight
Okay thanks. Do you have any advice for me, anything specifically I could do to increase my chances?

Thanks

Relevant work experience(with an MP, Councillor) is great for this course specifically and for the personal statement in general.Try to have a couple of political books read to put in your personal statement as well. That is about all you can do to enhance a good PS for this course.

If you then get to interview just make sure to read a quality paper and a few political books and that you have a practice interview with a teacher before you do the real thing.
TSL
Relevant work experience(with an MP, Councillor) is great for this course specifically and for the personal statement in general.Try to have a couple of political books read to put in your personal statement as well. That is about all you can do to enhance a good PS for this course.

If you then get to interview just make sure to read a quality paper and a few political books and that you have a practice interview with a teacher before you do the real thing.

Thanks. I already did work experience with an MP in their constituency office for 3 weeks over summer, and also spent a week in Westminster with the MP. I'll probably do some more with them this summer, and also managed to get some more work exp. with a minister (met him through an event I was invited to through the MP I originally did work exp with!).

Do you think it would put them off if I had done "too much" work experience? I don't want to boast or anything like that, or also make it sound like I already am well-connected, because I'm not, I just got lucky!
Reply 5
Darkest Knight
Thanks. I already did work experience with an MP in their constituency office for 3 weeks over summer, and also spent a week in Westminster with the MP. I'll probably do some more with them this summer, and also managed to get some more work exp. with a minister (met him through an event I was invited to through the MP I originally did work exp with!).

Do you think it would put them off if I had done "too much" work experience? I don't want to boast or anything like that, or also make it sound like I already am well-connected, because I'm not, I just got lucky!

Couldn't think of any reason why there would be such a thing as too much work experience. You sound like your well prepared already, probably have a leg up on most candidates with that calibre of work experience.
TSL
Couldn't think of any reason why there would be such a thing as too much work experience. You sound like your well prepared already, probably have a leg up on most candidates with that calibre of work experience.

Thanks. So how are you finding the course, and where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking? I know Leeds' ranking isn't very high compared to other unis but the course looks amazing. I'll probably be applying to Cambridge, LSE, Sheffield and Warwick, but if I got accepted into Leeds I might even go there over Cambridge... Does that sound stupid lol?
Reply 7
Darkest Knight
Thanks. So how are you finding the course, and where else did you apply if you don't mind me asking? I know Leeds' ranking isn't very high compared to other unis but the course looks amazing. I'll probably be applying to Cambridge, LSE, Sheffield and Warwick, but if I got accepted into Leeds I might even go there over Cambridge... Does that sound stupid lol?

No idea, this course was the one I applied for as my goal so I wasn't really trying for the top unis.

The course is good, the lecturers are usually good at their jobs, they aren't just phoning it in. In seminars you generally have good discussion and debate going on about the topic at hand. Couldn't fault it really, it's helped by the fact that the social side of leeds is really good there are societies, clubs and gigs for every taste.

Latest