The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because compared to comprehensives they are amazing.

There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics.

Mark Twain.

Mind you we have to include religious schools as private and so they are really nothing more than comprehensive with a deity as headmaster. :smile:
Reply 2
Value-add is pretty much what you want, no?

Private school isn't really all that beneficial for spectacular, driven people (it just gives them more academic space/freedom), but it's excellent for those that need more tuition/help, ie "to pull them up to average" because the alternative would be much worse for them..
They're not...as I learnt the hard way. I transferred from state to private, then went back to state...gosh, my soul was crying to come out when I was in there. It was different...pressure was more intense/freedom was a lot less...I had less privileges. It felt like jail to me. Oh, state school is more relaxed, chilled and no one gives a crap about what Daddy does for a living and money etc. etc. Also, I didn't have a class full of girls with acylic/gel nails done at weekly manicures. Plus, I did far better in state school...state alllllll the wayyyyy!!!
Reply 4
Yeah, my school is crap too. But still people seem to look up to it just because it's private. Top student in Y13 is going to Sussex Uni
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
What school?
because they all are
Pull them up to average...I was pulled down...by far!!! I was an A/B student who became a E/U student. Before, I used to beg for private education...since I started state at 12 (yeah, my parents had a headache and finally gave in)
Looking back, I wished I saved the finances for a deposit instead, and I soon realised when I passed my driving test that I could have been driving a brand new car had I not been so foolish!

I also found there was a lot of favouritism, particularly towards those who either lived in a big house/had status/parents with elite jobs/parents who 'sponsered' the school via regular donations. Everyone else was just a number...and as long as they kept paying, the school kept taking.
because most of the best schools in the country are private. These top schools set a good name for private school in general, even if some arn't so good.

and pink liquid- i go to a private school in london and few people come in with acrylic nails and even the UBER richies are generally alright. sure there are a few sloanes who can be annoying but i'm sure every school has annoying people in them. And few people talk about what daddy does for a living. my dad is a primary school teacher and i'm there on a scholarship and pretty much all my friends are rich, but no one cares. Don't promote the cliche on private schools. my one is really lovely and chilled and...yeah.

Pink Liquid
Oh, state school is more relaxed, chilled and no one gives a crap about what Daddy does for a living and money etc. etc. Also, I didn't have a class full of girls with acylic/gel nails done at weekly manicures.
Why are your parents paying for you to go to a school if it is that rubbish. Average A level grades are Cs so if the average at ur school is lower than that, surely there is a 6th form college or state school near you that you could go to and do as well if not better?
Reply 11
I thought you DIDN'T go to a private school OP... That's what your post history suggests anyway!
JMonkey
Probably because compared to comprehensives they are amazing.

There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics.

Mark Twain.

Mind you we have to include religious schools as private and so they are really nothing more than comprehensive with a deity as headmaster. :smile:

Bit of a generalisation, don't you think?
Because they are generally of a much higher standard than most comps.
LyleandScott
because most of the best schools in the country are private. These top schools set a good name for private school in general, even if some arn't so good.

and pink liquid- i go to a private school in london and few people come in with acrylic nails and even the UBER richies are generally alright. sure there are a few sloanes who can be annoying but i'm sure every school has annoying people in them. And few people talk about what daddy does for a living. my dad is a primary school teacher and i'm there on a scholarship and pretty much all my friends are rich, but no one cares. Don't promote the cliche on private schools. my one is really lovely and chilled and...yeah.

I think I wanted to go to one probably more like yours. My brother had private education at one of the Top 10 and much emphasis was placed on achievement academically...but for me it was a different story. The one I went to was in the hundreds by far. I'm sure the year I came out it was 400 or something. It was small - 6th form 36 girls ish. I felt it wasn't what I thought private schools were about when I was there. I thought everyone wanted to do well, since they were paying. But I soon learnt, some were there because they could afford it. I think because it was too small (Pre-school to 6th form, 500-600 in total), families took this to advantage and the school lost the 'school vibe'. It became more of a who knows who, Mr & Mrs X do/doing/went/going/were/are/will be thing...friendly parent-teacher situation.
As I also learnt, being in private education...sometimes students still have extra private tuition out of school as they aren't getting the education/support they want within school. This makes it even more expensive!
I generally think private education is a waste of money...unless you find the right one. If considering it, please do take into account the league tables...you shouldn't go wrong if you pick one at least in the top 50. If in doubt, please do not feel that you are obliged to stay...you can come out!Private education is not for everyone I must say.
Abhead
Why are your parents paying for you to go to a school if it is that rubbish. Average A level grades are Cs so if the average at ur school is lower than that, surely there is a 6th form college or state school near you that you could go to and do as well if not better?

I agree, which is why I decided to go back to state...more value for money, since you're paying your taxes. Also, if anything goes wrong...at least you didn't flush £xK down the toilet. In private school, I even had to buy my own writing paper! I'm surprised they didn't tell me to bring a loo roll :biggrin:

I think some people either do not tell their parents they are suffering/not doing well...and if parents do find out from parent-consultation evenings, some of these parents think about themselves rather than their child. For example, they like being known at their local church/golf club that they can afford to send their children to private schools. To me personally, I think it shouldn't be about that...the child's all-round welfare comes first! Any who... lol
Reply 16
Too much of a generalisation. I don't think everyone does.
Reply 17
I went to a private school in Glasgow and left last May.
The teaching wasn't great as a whole but the banter and stuff that goes on in private schools is brilliant often unbelievable the things we got upto.
Even though I messed around allot i still managed to achieve pretty good grades!

Wish i was still there !
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think very many people with much 'real world' experience and a sensible head on their shoulders would think that all private schools are amazing.

Latest

Trending

Trending