The Student Room Group

AS Level Design Tech - Advanced Innovation Challenge - Job Bag?

Hello everyone, my AS level design technology exam is on thursday. It's the 6 hour innovation challenge and I'm just wondering what everyone has for their job bags so far?

I'm struggling to think of what to put in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Coursework.info
It's been a while since you posted and no one else’s replied yet, so you might want to check out Coursework.Info, TSR's sister site. It’s the largest essay help site in the UK.

They've got a library of 150,000+ essays, projects, assignments, coursework etc.. written by GCSE, A Level and Uni students. You get access either by publishing some of your own work, or paying £4.99 for a month's access. Both ways give you unlimited access to all of the essays.

They submit all the documents to Turnitin anti-plagiarism software, so the work can't be misused, and the site’s used by hundreds of thousands of UK teachers and students.

Hope you find it useful :smile:

I'm sorry to bump but the exam is tomorrow, is ANYONE else doing the exam?
Reply 2
im doing it tomorrow. EEK!
i dont think ive prepared enough for it though. oopsiedaisies.
Reply 3
Josh-H
I'm sorry to bump but the exam is tomorrow, is ANYONE else doing the exam?

How did u find it?
Reply 4
Silent-Star
How did u find it?

It's hard to say really, I thought it went ok but I didn't know what to write in some sections. I still have no idea how the heck they're going to mark that..

I did the shelter one, you?
Reply 5
Josh-H
It's hard to say really, I thought it went ok but I didn't know what to write in some sections. I still have no idea how the heck they're going to mark that..

I did the shelter one, you?

I hated not having the marks for each part in brackets at the side, so off-putting!

I was a bit stuck in some sections, as im not actually doing DT lessons atm, im in A2 year, so just picked up this AS as an extra, so both cw and exam were done on my own lol, was...urm...interesting!
Bit like the CW...hopeless teacher and no lessons is making it bit tricky atm :P

I did the BBQ one, the girl in L6 that did the exam did the shelter one, she did like an umbrella with sides lol
Reply 6
Silent-Star
I hated not having the marks for each part in brackets at the side, so off-putting!

I was a bit stuck in some sections, as im not actually doing DT lessons atm, im in A2 year, so just picked up this AS as an extra, so both cw and exam were done on my own lol, was...urm...interesting!
Bit like the CW...hopeless teacher and no lessons is making it bit tricky atm :P

I did the BBQ one, the girl in L6 that did the exam did the shelter one, she did like an umbrella with sides lol

People keep asking me how I think i've done and tbh, I have no idea. I couldn't even guess.

The hour exam is next week, how well are you prepared for that?
Reply 7
Josh-H
People keep asking me how I think i've done and tbh, I have no idea. I couldn't even guess.

The hour exam is next week, how well are you prepared for that?

Me either, our teacher is at a bit of a loss too. He's got no idea what he can compare it against. What did you do your coursework on?

Not at all prepared for the exam, but then I don't actually have DT lessons...so..... the first one i went into with what i guessed might be in a job bag and nothing else....this one....i guess im going in unprepared cos i have no idea what to do....
you?

x
Reply 8
Silent-Star
Me either, our teacher is at a bit of a loss too. He's got no idea what he can compare it against. What did you do your coursework on?

Not at all prepared for the exam, but then I don't actually have DT lessons...so..... the first one i went into with what i guessed might be in a job bag and nothing else....this one....i guess im going in unprepared cos i have no idea what to do....
you?

x

Sorry for the delayed response.
I may have some little tips for you then :smile:

Basically my teacher has a hunch that they'll ask us ways to improve our product to make it more environmentally friendly and better economically.

So as we know what we've designed, we can do some research and already start thinking ahead for this.

Research alternative materials, possible manufacture methods, current envionmental legislation, etc. :smile:

I did my coursework on suitcases, managed to get a B out of it.
The innovation was that it could be dismantled for recycling, since no other suitcases can be recycled.

You?
(Sorry for the late reply)
Reply 9
Josh-H
Sorry for the delayed response.
I may have some little tips for you then :smile:

Basically my teacher has a hunch that they'll ask us ways to improve our product to make it more environmentally friendly and better economically.

So as we know what we've designed, we can do some research and already start thinking ahead for this.

Research alternative materials, possible manufacture methods, current envionmental legislation, etc. :smile:

I did my coursework on suitcases, managed to get a B out of it.
The innovation was that it could be dismantled for recycling, since no other suitcases can be recycled.

You?
(Sorry for the late reply)

Dnt worry about the delay, I did my coursework on water features, havent got mark back yet, but teacher seemed pretty impressed with it so hopefully should be okay.

Was just looking at the OCR website and the questions are:

1 Reflect on the product you have designed.
Prepare a marketing strategy to sell your idea to a manufacturer who is considering
its viability.
You should include:
Information about your intended market, how you would target it.
Modifications that could be made to your design to make it more economically viable.
Scale of production.

2 Reflect on the product you have designed.
Inclusive design is an increasingly important issue that faces designers today.
Prepare a discussion that reflects your product and which addresses inclusion such
as design of environments and products, consideration of different user groups and
associated accessibility.
You should include:
Any modifications you would make to your product to make it more inclusive to a broader range of users.
Materials and manufacturing techniques that could be used.
Cost implications.

Both 10 marks each.... Really wishing i'd had some lessons now! The second question is mainly common sense, but the first one about marketing strategy I have no idea where to even start! Will be so glad when this is over tomorrow! I have my Biology A2 practical tomorrow too so its pretty annoying!

Good luck for tomorrow if we dont talk before :P
xx
Reply 10
Silent-Star
Dnt worry about the delay, I did my coursework on water features, havent got mark back yet, but teacher seemed pretty impressed with it so hopefully should be okay.

Was just looking at the OCR website and the questions are:

1 Reflect on the product you have designed.
Prepare a marketing strategy to sell your idea to a manufacturer who is considering
its viability.
You should include:
Information about your intended market, how you would target it.
Modifications that could be made to your design to make it more economically viable.
Scale of production.

2 Reflect on the product you have designed.
Inclusive design is an increasingly important issue that faces designers today.
Prepare a discussion that reflects your product and which addresses inclusion such
as design of environments and products, consideration of different user groups and
associated accessibility.
You should include:
Any modifications you would make to your product to make it more inclusive to a broader range of users.
Materials and manufacturing techniques that could be used.
Cost implications.

Both 10 marks each.... Really wishing i'd had some lessons now! The second question is mainly common sense, but the first one about marketing strategy I have no idea where to even start! Will be so glad when this is over tomorrow! I have my Biology A2 practical tomorrow too so its pretty annoying!

Good luck for tomorrow if we dont talk before :P
xx

Hey, thanks you too.

Those were just practice questions though, theres a list of topics that COULD come up as questions.

Good luck for tomorrow anyway :smile:
Josh-H
Hey, thanks you too.

Those were just practice questions though, theres a list of topics that COULD come up as questions.

Good luck for tomorrow anyway :smile:

Yer teacher said something about a list, never got round to showing it to us though, lol

good luck :smile:
here is that list... i know its short notice but...
•sustainability and the environment;
•product life;
•social, moral and cultural issues;
•environmental issues;
•inclusive design;
•the human interface;
•aesthetics;
•scale of production;
•production technologies;
•fashion;
•marketing;
•commercial issues.

good luck, im doing it aswell
Reply 13
Silent-Star
Yer teacher said something about a list, never got round to showing it to us though, lol

good luck :smile:

Hey everyone.

That went almost perfectly I think, had the exact questions my teacher predicted!
I found the economic one easier than the envionmental though really. Better wait and see!

How did everyone else do?
Josh-H
Hey everyone.

That went almost perfectly I think, had the exact questions my teacher predicted!
I found the economic one easier than the envionmental though really. Better wait and see!

How did everyone else do?

Agreed that the first one was easier, thought it went quite well, and now its all over!!! :biggrin::woo:
Reply 15
need advice or help for tomoro's 6hr exam! ne1 there? 1st time im on here!! lol
Reply 16
ive got the exam also,did the 6 hour one last week and found it fairly good, i did the shelter challenge if you can remember it?

im not looking forward to the exam tomorrow, i think itl be harder than expected...

its all about modifications in terms of econmical viability and social, moral and environmental issues to do with the manufacturing process and any other issues such as transportations and production of materials.

theres nopt really much revision i can think to do apart from looking at what i could modify from my prototype, you guys got any good ideas?

im new to this aswell btw so tell me if im doing anything wrong or whatnot..thanks guys :smile:
tipperjj06
ive got the exam also,did the 6 hour one last week and found it fairly good, i did the shelter challenge if you can remember it?

im not looking forward to the exam tomorrow, i think itl be harder than expected...

its all about modifications in terms of econmical viability and social, moral and environmental issues to do with the manufacturing process and any other issues such as transportations and production of materials.

theres nopt really much revision i can think to do apart from looking at what i could modify from my prototype, you guys got any good ideas?

im new to this aswell btw so tell me if im doing anything wrong or whatnot..thanks guys :smile:

ive got the same exam as you tomorrow...Havent really been told much about it, so what you just wrote really helped :P

good luck with your exam(s) :smile:
Reply 18
How did you find it, tbh it was easier than i expected which is a miricale :smile:

Hope you found it okay....?
Reply 19
yes it was fine for me thanks mate, just hoping i get a good result, do you know what grade you got in your coursework?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending