The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've had a few on my back and right knee, and I've found them perfectly bearable, if not a bit dull. In fact, I've fallen asleep twice now, because the resonating sound is quite cathartic! Also, they played some very recent pop music through the headphones at a volume which masked the sound of the machine quite well.
Reply 21
Hey, I've had an MRI twice - was pretty horrible because I had to lie on my side/front with my arm up and keep it still for ageeees and it was so uncomfy!! then at the same time I had to have a dye injected into my other arm! wasn't nice.
I thought most people just lyed on their back but nooo!
Im sure u'll be fine... I have braces too and it was ok.

Also I had to take all my clothes off - was alowed to wear knickers..and I had to wear a gown.
I don't know if it was just me, but it made me have to go to the bathroom. I know it sounds strange, but me sure to use the toilet beforehand!
Reply 23
I had one on my head, was probably the easiest medical procedure i've ever had and I had alot when I was younger due to sports injuries .

I didnt get any music but I liked the noises lol.
Reply 24
If you suffer from claustrophobia (e.g. you feel afraid in enclosed spaces and cold sweat forms in the pores at the back of your neck), then closed your eyes BEFORE you start to get slid (lying down) into the tube.

For sure it didn't/doesn't hurt. But it sure was hard keeping still while feeling claustrophobic.

The clanking sound was somewhat hypnotic, so it helped to focus (I counted the intervals) and distract me from the irrational fear I could feel creeping in on me the first time I underwent an MRI.

The second time I was given headphones playing music, and I actually dozed off! :yes:
Reply 25
Don't feel it at all. Bit like a CAT scan really.
I've had mri, cat and about 5 EEG scans lol.
You shouldn't be worried about it =)
So many people saying they have had music playing whilst having an MRI. I've had so many MRI scans that I've lost count and have never had music played. The banging is actually quite fun to listen to so I suppose there is no real need for any music to be honest!

Only ever had head MRI done so never have to go very far into the the tube which is good as I like having my lower half still free. The worst bit is whenever they inject the dye...I've thrown up a couple of times after that bit which is odd as I have no issues with injections.

Don't worry about claustraphobia or anything like that. You can keep talking to people in between scans which is reassuring and they tend to be good at letting you know what going on. Time flies in an MRI scan, it really does. Just lie back and listen to the crazy sounds!
Reply 27
I had one not long ago, and I have wires on the back of my teeth too. The radiographer said it was fine, but I'd check anyway as yours is a head scan. The only other thing I can remember about mine was it made wierd noises and was really cold, I came out shivering!
they are annoying...takes virtually forever and that annoying humming noise is unbearable after 15 minutes! The scan lasts for something like 30 minutes. I was having leg spasms because of a ligament problem i think, and my leg started *********** shaking mid way through and guy had to do a one of the scans again! arghhh!!!!

so, advise to anyone who is going to have an mri scan is to avoid shaking...it'll just make the torture worse!
Reply 29
szandra
I had one not long ago, and I have wires on the back of my teeth too. The radiographer said it was fine, but I'd check anyway as yours is a head scan. The only other thing I can remember about mine was it made wierd noises and was really cold, I came out shivering!

:ditto: Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that it was very, very cold. Maybe because I was dressed in only a thin hospital gown and undies. Then again, I always feel very cold in hospitals ... :pinch:
Reply 30
I'm pretty much always cold anyway, I have barely any fat on me (I weight under 8st). =P
Reply 31
I just realised I must have had my metal wire in for my head MRI about a year ago, and there weren't any problems at all :smile: Granted, it wasn't a full brace though, just one set of wires behind my front lower teeth. I think it only took about 20-30 minutes in the end; I didn't have any music, just some foam next to my ears, though that was partly to keep my head still for the scan. It's not a bad experience all in all, and worth it if there's a chance it'll help you come closer to a diagnosis :yes:
Reply 32
suuuuuuseh
I just realised I must have had my metal wire in for my head MRI about a year ago, and there weren't any problems at all :smile: Granted, it wasn't a full brace though, just one set of wires behind my front lower teeth. I think it only took about 20-30 minutes in the end; I didn't have any music, just some foam next to my ears, though that was partly to keep my head still for the scan. It's not a bad experience all in all, and worth it if there's a chance it'll help you come closer to a diagnosis :yes:

That's what I've got. A fixed retainer at the back of my teeth upper and lower. Bit of a relief :smile:

Yeah, I'm just hoping it doesn't come up with anything bad in there.
Reply 33
It's just boring, nothing touches you AT ALL, they say it's really loud so I was nervous expecting it to hurt my ears but it wasn't actually loud at all. You definitely won't be able to have any metal on you, make sure you tell them about the braces. Honestly it's nothing to worry about :smile: just be prepared to learn how to stay VERY still :P
Reply 34
Got the scan tomorrow at 18:00, thanks for the advice guys. :smile:
Reply 35
.neil.
ALL metal will need to be removed, not just magnetic metals.

MRI uses a RF pulse, so putting metal inside it will produce a similar effect to putting metal in a microwave.

This isn't true. The effect in a microwave is due to arcing between the magnetron and the metal, that won't happen with the RF coil in MRI Non magnetic metals are safe in an MRI, although they can produce image artefacts nearby.

Braces aren't made of magnetic materials (they're usually a form of stainless steel) so shouldn't cause a problem, if they did the radiographer would tell you.
Reply 36
In my experience it was fine, I had one for my head and all i had to take off was my bra, so no hospital gown or anything. It took about half an hour and I got to have some music playing in the background. I'm fine with confined spaces but even I felt pretty sick towards the end. You'll be fine :smile: xx
Reply 37
I had a head mri about a month ago. You're asked to put the gown and remove any metal. I was put in about half way and i must say i was surprised as to how small the tube of the mri is. If your claustrophobic, its probably best to keep your eyes close. They give u a hand held buzzer, if yoou need anything and ear plugs to keep out the noise.
As i was having loads of headaches, the noise really irritated me, and it chnages from a a not so bad one, to massive clanging. Mine lasted about 10 - 15 mins. They talk to you during it, to reassure you.
You can mention your braces, adn they well test if theyre magnetic if it concerns you.

Good luck, im sure it'll be fine.
I think your braces would be a problem, you have to fill a form in beforehand about if you have any sort of metal on/in your body, but im not sure what they'd do about it. MRI's are extremely noisy- lots of different sounds though, like a very loud humming noise, lots of short bursts of banging, general being hit with a sledgehammer noises etc etc- they give you music to listen to, but you can't actually hear it above the noise. You have to keep very still for absolutely ages, which means anything other than shallow breathing is out of the question or they have to do it again... and it's surprisingly small- i think the top of it was around 5-10cm above my head at most, so yeah, it's pretty horrible

(I had one on my spine about 2 months ago, i was stuck in there for 50 minutes!)
Reply 39
HacklyFracture
If (which I think it is) it's the same as I had when I was younger, you lie down and they pass you through a big tube. Didn't feel a thing. The only problem I has was the woman going 'and breath in. And hold. And breathe out' made me laugh and so it took ages longer than it should have :biggrin:

Anybody who goes in with you has to wear a strange apron thing too, I can't remember why. I just remember my dad having to wear one with bears and rainbows and stuff on.

That sounds like a CT scan. That apron would have been lined with lead to prevent the x-rays exposing themself to your parents.
.neil.
ALL metal will need to be removed, not just magnetic metals.

MRI uses a RF pulse, so putting metal inside it will produce a similar effect to putting metal in a microwave.

Actually it uses a magnetic field. Non-ferrous metals, and alloys without ferrous components are safe. That is how people with pacemakers and ICD's are able to have MRI scans. Braces might be ok, depending upon the metal used in them.

Latest