The Student Room Group

Getting a Level 5 (A2)

Hi, I seem to be struggling at the minute to get level five on practise papers that I am submitting, with them usually being awarded low 4's/high 3's. I am trying as best as i can to follow the mark schemes criteria for a level five answear, but something seems to be going wrong. Does anyone have any tips for getting a high level?

I mangaed to get an A in AS, but I'm starting to worry about whether I will be able to repeat this performance.

Help would be much appreciated

PS. I'm on the AQA board, whether that makes any difference or not.
Reply 1
im getting 3s and 4s and im doing gcse

shame on you!
I'm on edexcel, not AQA. But a few things that could help:
I find the mark schemes are quite limited, so don't follow them too religiously. Try to include lots of own knowledge that is relevant to the question, and lots of examples. If the mark scheme states that you should refer to a certain number of events/issues, then for a good answer you need to refer to all of them, but perhaps a few extra points too. Try to refer to the arguments/viewpoints of historians, even if you can only remember one or two.
Not sure what else you can do really, the main thing is that you really understand the content, and can draw links between the content etc.
What units are you doing?
Reply 3
what are levels?
Siddd
what are levels?

Basically 1 is lowest, 5 is highest, it's how the papers are marked. A level 5 is a really good A, but you can also get an a with level 4.
Reply 5
wheres the paper?
Reply 6
Point
Analysis
Evaluate
Example

That is the formula for a level five in most essay-subjects
Reply 7
*Subscribes self*

I'm doing the Edexcel Hitler module and really need to do well in it.
Reply 8
Example: Function of the House of Lords

A function of the house of lords is to scrutinise the executive. (Point) This scrutiny can be carried out as a Lord can be a member of the executive and have direct influence over government policy. (Analysis) At the same time if they do become a member of the Executive they are held to collective responsibility which can limit their scrutiny to an extent in the public-arena. (Evaluate) This can be seen as Lord Mandelson is now the Business Secretary of State with direct influence on government policy, but is his scrutiny is limited as any public criticisms could damage the governments reputation. (Example)

That might be too long... but you know what I mean
Reply 9
__Katy
*Subscribes self*

I'm doing the Edexcel Hitler module and really need to do well in it.

Yep me too!
Sabeen
Yep me too!

Me three! I'm also doing Empire and Decolonisation though, which I find harder so less worried about the nazi state really.
Always make explicit links to the question. This means always refer back to the question, ensuring you are answering the question.
Reply 12
jayman
im getting 3s and 4s and im doing gcse

shame on you!

Come back when you get an A* at GCSE and an A at AS.
Reply 13
This is the A2 spec for levels (AQA) on the essay side of the paper;

L1: Either
Is able to demonstrate, by relevant selection of material, implicit understanding of the
question. Answers will be predominantly, or wholly, narrative.
Or
Answer implies analysis, but is excessively generalised, being largely or wholly devoid of
specific information. Such responses will amount to little more than assertion, involving
generalisations which could apply to almost any time and/or place. 1-6
L2: Either
Demonstrates, by relevant selection of material, some understanding of a range of
relevant issues. Most such answers will show understanding of the analytical demands,
but will lack weight and balance.
Or
Demonstrates, by selection of appropriate material, implicit understanding of a range of
relevant issues. Most such answers will be dependent on descriptions, but will have
valid links. 7-11
L3: Demonstrates, by selection of appropriate material, explicit understanding of a range of
issues relevant to the question. Judgement, as demanded by the question, may be
implicit or partial. 12-15
L4: Demonstrates, by selection of a wide range of precisely selected material, explicit
understanding of the demands of the question and provides a consistently analytical
response to it. Judgement, as demanded by the question, will be explicit but may be
limited in scope. 16-18
L5: As L4, but also shows appropriate conceptual awareness which, together with the
selection of a wide range of precisely selected evidence, offers independent and
effectively sustained judgement appropriate to the full demands of the question. 19-20
Reply 14
will274
Come back when you get an A* at GCSE and an A at AS.

will do, for once im actually confident i will :awesome:
Reply 15
jayman
will do, for once im actually confident i will :awesome:

How many subjects are you taking?
Reply 16
Siddd
How many subjects are you taking?

gcse - 12

for a levels im taking 5
Reply 17
jayman
gcse - 12

for a levels im taking 5

Oh, that's cool. BTW, is there any reason why you keep getting into arguments?
Reply 18
Siddd
Oh, that's cool. BTW, is there any reason why you keep getting into arguments?

LMAO

they are kinda fun. and being nice to people takes to me a place you dont wanna see me go :ninja:
will274
This is the A2 spec for levels (AQA) on the essay side of the paper;

L1: Either
Is able to demonstrate, by relevant selection of material, implicit understanding of the
question. Answers will be predominantly, or wholly, narrative.
Or
Answer implies analysis, but is excessively generalised, being largely or wholly devoid of
specific information. Such responses will amount to little more than assertion, involving
generalisations which could apply to almost any time and/or place. 1-6
L2: Either
Demonstrates, by relevant selection of material, some understanding of a range of
relevant issues. Most such answers will show understanding of the analytical demands,
but will lack weight and balance.
Or
Demonstrates, by selection of appropriate material, implicit understanding of a range of
relevant issues. Most such answers will be dependent on descriptions, but will have
valid links. 7-11
L3: Demonstrates, by selection of appropriate material, explicit understanding of a range of
issues relevant to the question. Judgement, as demanded by the question, may be
implicit or partial. 12-15
L4: Demonstrates, by selection of a wide range of precisely selected material, explicit
understanding of the demands of the question and provides a consistently analytical
response to it. Judgement, as demanded by the question, will be explicit but may be
limited in scope. 16-18
L5: As L4, but also shows appropriate conceptual awareness which, together with the
selection of a wide range of precisely selected evidence, offers independent and
effectively sustained judgement appropriate to the full demands of the question. 19-20

You do realise because of the UMS conversion rate, a low level 4 will be enough to get you full marks on a particular paper if the paper is particularly hard.

Latest

Trending

Trending