The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Outside subject(s) in 1st and 2nd year *post here with questions*

Scroll to see replies

Ubernisation
do they take your A level results (or equivalent) into account when you apply for your outside subject?

In humanities they don't for the most part, history certainly doesn't (nothing that I've wanted to take has, not even the one semester language course that's requirements asked for an A level language as preferable asked or cared that I didn't have a language, although full year courses probably would want to know). When you're accepted onto your degree, you're technically given an offer to study within the college of humanities - although in practice there are courses that are restricted by numbers etc. which means that the reality is slightly less fluid.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 81
Does anyone have like...a topic list or something floating around for History, European in particular? I can;t find any detailed course outline aaaanywhere...
Reply 82
I'll be taking History as my main degree. Would it be possible for anything to go with it? Even if their very similar...

Would be looking at doing Politics and social anthropology to complement history, I'd also consider archaelogy.

When doing an MA I was also wondering if it'd harm a year in America as this is something I'd really want to do?
I've decided that I don't want to take French as an outside subject after all, but I might take an open studies course (La France en Direct looks good) or torment a poor native speaker, if I can find one on the tandem scheme.

It looks like Japanese will clash with Scottish Lit which I'm definitely going to take, so I'm left with Chinese, Swedish, History or Religious Studies for my third subject. Arrrgh I'm so indecisive :erm:
ladylish
Does anyone have like...a topic list or something floating around for History, European in particular?

A course outline would be far too long to be worth recreating. The first year course covers Europe c1450-present, covering all the big topics in generic strokes with a chance to go into more detail in your essays (for which there is a choice of 15 or so topics so there should be something to suite everyone).

Paul92
Would it be possible for anything to go with it? Even if their very similar...

You have to do a module in a first year history of your choice and one from anywhere within History, Classics and Archaeology. Your third module can be from within this area again or anything else that you're interested in. You don't need to worry about courses matching or complimenting each other, it doesn't really make anything easier either way (whether you pick from within a similar area or completely different).

Also there's no academic benefit or loss to a year abroad, if you are interested in going to America for a year, apply when the chance comes around for the social aspects and to experience something different. The degree being classified as an MA(Hons) is irrelevant, it is an undergraduate degree with a traditional title rather than the equivalent to a postgraduate MA.
Hypothetically, if you took an outside course in the first year and then decided that you wanted to opt for than subject as your honours coursen in years 3&4, is it possible to take any extra units that many have been necessary in year 1, in the second year? Basically, can you take first year courses in your second year?

The problem is that I'm really worried now that I've chosen the wrong degree (RS) and should be doing philosophy or social anthropology :s-smilie: bleuurgghh. (RS takes up 80 credits per year, so I can't just do all three, which is what I'm gutted about). I know that the degrees are really flexible though, so this is reassuring..! Thanks.
Yes, you can take 1st year courses in 2nd year provided you are qualified to do so, the department allows it and that there is no timetable clash. You'll find that a lot of the arts subjects only require you do to 40 credits in first year though, so you might not need to catch up at all.
Reply 87
teaandcake-please
Hypothetically, if you took an outside course in the first year and then decided that you wanted to opt for than subject as your honours coursen in years 3&4, is it possible to take any extra units that many have been necessary in year 1, in the second year? Basically, can you take first year courses in your second year?

The problem is that I'm really worried now that I've chosen the wrong degree (RS) and should be doing philosophy or social anthropology :s-smilie: bleuurgghh. (RS takes up 80 credits per year, so I can't just do all three, which is what I'm gutted about). I know that the degrees are really flexible though, so this is reassuring..! Thanks.

Anthropology in 2nd year has two compulsory courses in semester two (so 60 credits in total over the year), which would give you 4 courses with RS instead of 3 (assuming you still have to do 80 credits of RS) which might be something to consider. I'm not sure how Philosophy works, although I believe they have an additional logic course alongside the 40 credits for 1st year, which is worth 10 credits. Look it up on dprs.
artorscience?
If you take Business and accountancy as your example, you can see here how the years are laid out.

You can see in first year you have to take Business Studies 1, Accountancy 1 and then your options are either Economics 1 or Economic Principles (so no choice of Spanish, but you are taking 3 separate subjects).

So that's all the choice we get? That's boring :p:
Reply 89
im doing english lit and history and trying to decide between taking politics or italian as my outside course.

i did politics for a level and LOVE it but heard the first semester course can be cac (but maybe just for those who havnt studied politics before)

but also i love langugaes and have like a hit list of 4(italian/german/french/russian) i wana learn. i was originally decided on doing politics as my outside subject then italian as a language course (tho it's like £125 or something).does anyone know how good those language centre courses are??

i know that if i dont do a course and just try and learn myself that il get lazy and give up but i really wana do a year abroad in europe in 3rd year so really needa have my french or italian up to a really good standard by then to make it worthwhile.

anyone have any advice/feedback on any of the courses,etc??
Eadaoin
I did politics for a level and LOVE it but heard the first semester course can be cac (but maybe just for those who havnt studied politics before)

From what I've heard, it's worse if you have studied Politics before because you don't meet new material. But if you "LOVE it", go for it. And as there are so few places on it for people taking it as an outside courses you at least know what your back-up choice can be when you don't get a place.
Reply 91
Eadaoin
im doing english lit and history and trying to decide between taking politics or italian as my outside course.

i did politics for a level and LOVE it but heard the first semester course can be cac (but maybe just for those who havnt studied politics before)

but also i love langugaes and have like a hit list of 4(italian/german/french/russian) i wana learn. i was originally decided on doing politics as my outside subject then italian as a language course (tho it's like £125 or something).does anyone know how good those language centre courses are??

i know that if i dont do a course and just try and learn myself that il get lazy and give up but i really wana do a year abroad in europe in 3rd year so really needa have my french or italian up to a really good standard by then to make it worthwhile.

anyone have any advice/feedback on any of the courses,etc??

First year Politics isn't exactly thrilling if you have previously studied the subject, but parts of it (DCP is far better than IPIR) are quite interesting.

No idea about language centre courses, but I chose Russian as my outside course last year and I like it so much I'm keeping it.
Reply 92
I rather fancy the Diversity and Origins of Life course...
Reply 93
When do we pick our outside subjects?
How do you guys know what fits with your timetable already?

Thanks
LandEcAbs
When do we pick our outside subjects?
How do you guys know what fits with your timetable already?

Thanks

Hi, please read the first post of this thread before making posts like this. All the easy questions (such as yours) are answered in the OP.
Reply 95
nearlyheadlessian
Hi, please read the first post of this thread before making posts like this. All the easy questions (such as yours) are answered in the OP.

Sorry
Reply 96
ladylish
Does anyone have like...a topic list or something floating around for History, European in particular? I can;t find any detailed course outline aaaanywhere...

Here's the EUSA course reviewer, and here's one on European history :smile:
PPLS have put up some information on their website ( http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/undergraduate/guide.html ) and now I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to enrol on our outside courses when we meet our DoS, and that we had to make an appointment, but on that website it says:

"You need to visit 7 George Square on Wednesday 16th to enrol on your outside courses. You should go at the following times: Philosophy 9.30-11.00, Psychology 11.30-1.00, LEL 1.30-3.00. " etc.

(philosophy at 9.30, bloody typical)

but then

"Please make an appointment to see your Director of Studies as soon as you can during Fresher's week. This is done by going to his/her office and signing up on an appointment sheet, which you will find on the office door. It is a good idea to sign up for an appointment with your Director early in the week to allow time to sort out details of the courses you will take this academic year. "

What is going on :o: ? I'll probably just go along with it anyway, but I like to be prepared :biggrin:
green_glitter
PPLS have put up some information on their website ( http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/undergraduate/guide.html ) and now I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to enrol on our outside courses when we meet our DoS, and that we had to make an appointment, but on that website it says:

"You need to visit 7 George Square on Wednesday 16th to enrol on your outside courses. You should go at the following times: Philosophy 9.30-11.00, Psychology 11.30-1.00, LEL 1.30-3.00. " etc.

but then

"Please make an appointment to see your Director of Studies as soon as you can during Fresher's week. This is done by going to his/her office and signing up on an appointment sheet, which you will find on the office door. It is a good idea to sign up for an appointment with your Director early in the week to allow time to sort out details of the courses you will take this academic year. "

What is going on :o: ? I'll probably just go along with it anyway, but I like to be prepared :biggrin:

Bah that's annoying. I wanted to do an extra outside course but now I'm not sure if they'd let me do it. I thought we'd be discussing with our DoS.

Anyone who's done an extra outside course care to advise?
Reply 99
green_glitter

but then

Are you going into 1st or 2nd year?
As PPLS get 2nd years to enroll with the course admin people rather than with their DoS as I did that in 2nd year. In first year we had to go to an initial meeting like you've mentioned, but then we signed up for our addiitonal courses with our DoS. Is there another prelim meeting on say, Tuesday, in which you find out your DoS details?

Quick Reply

Latest