The Student Room Group

Global Challenge - Unit 4 Edexcel B

Here's some notes I made during a Conference that might be helpful I'll split them into 3 or more posts as I don't think they'll all fit in one.
Some refer to materials provided but they should still be useful as a start to your revision.

SECTION A THE NATURAL ENVIRONMENT

Global Warming / short term climate changes look at Causes (natural/ not), Impact or Effects (direct / indirect) and Solutions (Global and One country for specifics). Many ways this could be presented eg graph showing average temperature change over time.

How the sources and track of air masses influence the weather. (Think about the recent snows in Kent as eg). How does the weather influence Human / Economic activities?

Look at good weather maps eg from the Observer, look at synoptic weather maps esp. Anticyclonic conditions (winter and summer)

Look at how what happens in the Upper Air influences low level weather eg high pressure/ convergence at altitude adiabatic warming, hence dry, with low pressure / divergence at altitude there is adiabatic cooling hence rainfall. Etc DIAGRAMS are really useful learn a little repertoire you can use in exams.

Look at how Climate graphs can illustrate the passage through the ICTZ eg in Africa and this leads to changes in vegetation (link with Ecosystems) ie Ecocline

Global Ecosystems when choosing Forests you are often asked about the global distribution eg TRF its global distribution ranges from Brazil, to C America, to central West Africa, to Indonesia etc. You must not just discuss 1 forest (eg Korup) as this is only 1 eg and not global pattern.

Look at Biodiversity loss in Ecosystems section.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SECTION B POPULATION AND THE ECONOMY

Learn 1 migration model (to help explain patterns of push/pull) eg LEE’s model showing intervening opportunities as well as +/- at both the source and destination and be prepared to illustrate this with examples.

Demographic Transition model is VERY useful as it can be incorporated into questions on Population vs Resources or Population Pyramids to provide a context to help your explanation.

What about political intervention? Govt policies are useful to illustrate different attitudes / values and also different consequences

Look at the ‘Birth Dearth’ (good phrase your examiners will like this!) ie ageing population; interestingly China is likely to move into a birth dearth but India still has strong pop growth thus most of the potential workforce in 40 years time will be in India.

The topic is Demography make sure you know, use and can define all the main terms like Infant Mortality, Fertility etc

For controversial topics like migration (where refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants may all be part of the equation make sure you know and use correct terms and please provide a BALANCE to your answers ie always look at positives and negatives for each of the Source country and Host country.

Globalisation and the role of TNC’s often more financially powerful than many LEDC’s.

Global Shift ie the change in the type of economic dominance eg Textiles, Manufacturing (and also the rise of NIC’s) followed by Outsourcing (eg to India)

What is the Development Gap? Is it increasing?

When looking at questions remember that they are STIMULUS questions use the resource / data and trends shown (if applicable) and make sure you include the figures or points in your answer. Command words (eg ‘describe’, ‘explain’, ‘suggest reasons for…’) are important, as is thinking about overall patterns and trends before writing.

The amount you write should be appropriate for the balance of marks. A rough guide is 3 sides of exam paper in 35 mins (less than A4 size and wide lined). The structure of the answer is almost always given to you in the question…. Make sure that you ‘bounce-back’ this structure to the examiners their mark scheme will be based on this.

It is often helpful to write out each ‘part’ of the question at the start of each part of your answer it reminds you about what should be in there and how many marks (and thus time!) it is worth.
Reply 2
SECTION C CROSS UNIT QUESTIONS

30 MARKS PER QUESTION
45 MINUTES TO WRITE IT
Use 10 minutes for PLANNING structure, examples and specific case studies
Try to include NEW information (not just resource or textbook) Be bold include current events, news items etc to show you are linking things together.

**SUSTAINABILITY IS THE KEY TO YOUR ANSWERS IN THIS SECTION**

Don’t forget to SEE (Social, Economic, Environmental) links in all your questions.

Look for the 4 Principles of Sustainable Development ie Futurity, Environment, Public Participation and Social Justice.
You also need to be able to MEASURE sustainability (Ecological Footprints / The Egg of Well Being).
You need examples of Sustainability in Practice think through all you have done at AS as well as A2 to provide egs.
Reply 3
Thanks - our geography teacher went as well but her notes weren't as good as these!!
Reply 4
bump
Reply 5
could i use some of that stuff for edexcel A too?
Reply 6
You COULD, but I would be careful as the Edexcel A is Processes and Systems oriented whereas Edexcel B is Isuues and Management oriented.
Hi, i was just wondering.....when the conference thing goes on about migration and models, is it a safe bet that it will likely come up? Only our kick ass teacher left and we got stuck with a crappy guy who i think was an IT teacher and knows nothing about population and economy. Any helpful hints as to what is most likely to come up in the exam would be appreciated
:smile:
Janine
Reply 8
I went to this conference given by the chief examiners - I would suggest that you read my notes at the start of this thread VERY carefully - I'm sure there are hints in there about topics for questions!
Hey, so is Section C basically gonna ask about a human issue, such as a growing population and increasing pressure on resources and ask how it's affected by natural processes? eg. monsoon affecting food production. Or have i totally got the wrong end of the stick?! We did nothing on Section C so i'm kinda worried!!
Thanx! xx
What does it mean in the specification by 'role of technology in expanding resource base'?
Reply 11
froggymills
What does it mean in the specification by 'role of technology in expanding resource base'?

Value-added ie silicon on its own is worthless but make it into silicon chips (through technology) and you have found a new 'resource'' that adds to economic growth
Reply 12
Ok I took Geogger's original notes and added a few things, add some more if you want but post it back on here
Reply 13
Ok, I'm going to post some questions from some past papers (only the part (b) ones though because for part (a) questions you need the resource booklet) and I was thinking if we all produced notes or answers for these questions we could share our ideas on here and it would help us all with revision and stuff. So, I'm going to post the questions and within a few days I'll post my answers...hopefully some of you will join in as well! (and then, if we're really lucky, it could be made into a sort of revision word doc with the best of all our ideas)...Worth a shot anyway!...

June 2002

Natural Environment

1. (b) Examine the management problems associated with blocking anti-cyclones.
2. (b) Examine the effects of an El Nino cycle on the environment amd economy of selected countries
3. (b) With referemce to TWO forest or TWO grassland or TWO marine ecosystems, compare the threats which they face.

Population and Economy

4. (b) With reference to named examples, discuss the geographyical issues arising from chaning population structure.
5. (b) For ONE named region or country, examine the impact of globalisation
6. (b) Assess some of the ways in which Third World debt might be reduced.

I'll post the next set of questions in a fresh post to make it easier on the eyes...
Reply 14
June 2003

Natural Environment

1. (b) With the aid of an annotated diagram explain how the contrasting air masses which form a mid-lattitude depression lead to a rapidly changing sequence of weather.
2. (b) For EITHER the El Nino - La Nina cycle OR global warming, write a scientific report in which you offer explanations as to how it might be caused.
3. (b) Choose a global ecosystem and assess the value of EITHER the goods OR the services it provides.

Population and Economy

4. (b) With reference to examples, evaluate the range of strategies available for countries to achieve the goal of optimum population.
5. (b) Evaluate the likely impact of these two predictions (i. UK being an ageing island and ii. the dominant role of immigration in boosting population growth) on economic development and service provision.
6. (b) Evaluate the role of named TNCs in contributing to globalisation and the global shift of industry.
Reply 15
dudey_cool

1. (b) Examine the management problems associated with blocking anti-cyclones.

Problems due to summer anticyclones
*Extreme temperatures = heat stroke and dehydration.
* UV rays skin cancer and cataracts.
* High levels of pollen and fungal spores may trigger hay fever.
* Forest fires can be dangerous to wildlife and property (New South Wales, January 2002).
* Droughts affects domestic and industrial users and impacts on animal and plant life.
*Photochemical reactions between nitrogen oxides and volatile organic compounds create low-level ozone. The descending air traps the ozone near the ground = chest complaints.

Problems with winter anticyclones
* Winter smog due to calm conditions making the pollutants remain in the area.
* Clear skies lead to max. radiation cooling and so frosts occur.
* Poor and elderly at risk from hypothermia.
* Freezing fog may occur, causing motorway pile-ups.

ALSO: talk about the blocking high and drought of 1976 and any facts u have on that :p:
Reply 16
i've still not started revising for geography yet:eek: - even if i don't need a grade in geog for uni, anyone think its worth revising for it? lol
Reply 17
2. (b) Examine the effects of an El Nino cycle on the environment amd economy of selected countries

The 1997-98 was the worst El Nino event of the twentieth century. The El Nino impacted the entire world, both environmentally and economically, from a hotter summer in Britain to severe drought in Fiji, to economic slumps in many LEDCs.

In Paraguay, the country's infrastructure was severely damaged by floods and strong winds associated with storms during the 1997-98 El Niño. Damage by strong winds was registered, mainly for bridges, roads, and buildings, accounting for over US$48 million. El Niño impacts were particularly severe over the central region, due to heavy rains in Asunción and neighboring cities. From October 1997 to May 1998, rains in this area accounted for more than 190% of the historical average, exceeding rainfall amounts during the 1982-83 El Niño, which was 165% of the historical average. Electric power supply was very much affected by rains and winds as well, when a high number of power lines and towers were completely destroyed.

Impacts on ecosystems were significant, mainly in the Paraguay River basin and the Chaco, where extensive areas, never before flooded, remained under water for a long time, causing a high level of mortality among trees and other vegetation. Thousands of wild animals died in the flooded forest.

Fishing was severely impacted by floods related to the 1997-98 El Niño, producing a considerable decline in production, which strongly affected food supplies to the population and caused a disruption in exports. Agriculture was a major economic sector hit by El Niño. The agricultural campaign for 1997-98 suffered serious damage caused by heavy rains, strong winds, and hail. Crops were adversely affected from seeding to harvest, resulting in very low productivity. Loss estimates for eight major Paraguayan crops were over US$23 million.

Diarrhoea and dysentery increased considerably because of poor sanitary conditions in affected areas and in temporary shelters. The government had to construct in a very short time more than 84 refugee camps, where sanitary conditions were far from adequate. Floods and severe weather related to El Niño brought a number of social problems such as losses in habitat, losses in jobs, insecurity, vulnerability to disease, etc. This is very common whenever a population has to be concentrated in shelters or relocated in other "safe" areas.

The 1997-98 El Niño taught Paraguay a big lesson. In September 1997, a prediction emphasized the development of a strong event. However, different sectors of the society spent too much time discussing and assessing the veracity of the El Niño information and information about its impact on Paraguay. Considerably more human and economic resources are needed, if Paraguay is to reduce El Niño's impacts.

The 1997-98 El Nino was the most damaging ever in Fiji, both environmentally and economically. Sugarcane areas, concentrated in the western and northern parts of the main islands of Fiji, roughly correspond to the most drought-prone areas of the nation. The entire industry supports about 25% of Fiji's population, around 200,000 people. The 1997-98 drought caused a 5% drop in the planted area of sugar cane, but more importantly, of the crop that was left, 25% was wiped out. National production loss was around 50% (c. F$104 million). 77% of the farmers still received less income, or even none (33%), during the drought. Average farm-dependent family incomes dropped from F$3500 to F$1500 and below. Food gardens, normally supplementary to the lives of these families, were also destroyed in the drought.

Responses in sugarcane areas included supplementary rations, supplied through the government, Red Cross and community organizations. Additional responses included a major government-funded crop rehabilitation program, through which most resources went into replanting sugarcane stocks. Little benefit from this program reached small-holders and farm-labourers. Long-term impacts on the sugar industry were avoided because the government provided a large capital boost with the crop rehabilitation program. This enabled a rapid return to production and improved plant stock and fertilization that was already well overdue in many areas.

Rural subsistence, although estimated at only 3.8% of GDP, plays a role in the support of 80% of Fiji's population. To increase the economic robustness of communities, in 1995 the government instigated a program to commercially develop selected (but existing) high-value crops. Despite these programs, impacts on subsistence food supply were severe.

Export vegetables and root crops were reduced to 50%, and in the peak production months of June and July no plantings were possible and planting materials were often wiped out. The secondary hazard of wildfires, particularly in the north of Fiji, damaged up to 40% of cultivated crops and up to 10% of the native forest removing an additional source of supplementary food.

Livestock fatalities in the nation's 28,000 cattle and 190,000 small ruminants had begun by the end of the drought. Pastures were destroyed and supplementary feed for livestock was unavailable. During the drought, the instances and extent of forest fires were greater than normal and forest crops in several areas with thin topsoil were severely damaged.

Responses in this sector included a rehabilitation program begun in May 1998, targeting food security. This involved establishing "stock" farms of planting material in strategic areas both within and outside of drought-prone locations. Medium- to long-term impacts have been slight, and long-term impacts were mostly confined to the tree-crop sector (pine, cocoa and coconuts). Despite these impacts, some aspects of the drought proved to be of positive benefit to the production in the forest industry, enabling improved access to logging areas. Other medium-term impacts included improved grazing pastures in many areas that were in need of re-establishment.

The economy was driven into recession, reducing GDP in 1997 by 3%, and in 1998 by a further 5%. Prices remained stable throughout the drought. The lack of disposable income and the availability of government food rations in affected sectors subdued demand. There were short-term impacts on wages and employment, but this quickly returned to normal following a bumper crop in 1999.

Response to the El Nino was lower then expected because of a decreased state of awareness because of a general state of unpreparedness and a lack of understanding of meteorological terminology. If properly warned, most people will take action to minimize the impacts of a potential disaster as best they can with available resources, unfortunarely this was not able to take place.

In conclusion, El Nino events have very severe impacts on countries, arguably the whole world, both environmentally and economically.

-----------
P.S. I thought it was better for my revision to practice essay-writing but I'll try and produce it in note form for people later if they want.
Reply 18
Thank you for putting this up - I think its useful for you and also for others.

I would ensure that I used the world map they provided in the exam to locate the places you mention (useful if you don't have time to include them all) as well as to identify the extent of the impacts.
In para 2 I would at least have ONE actual figure for rainfall, rather than 165% of average and at the end of para 2 where you talk about electric power cables... what about the economic implications (business) as well as social implications (TV radio warnings, hospitals).
Be careful - much of this essay is descriptive - good descriptive, but descriptive nevertheless. The title does ask you to Examine the effects of an El Nino cycle on the environment and economy of selected countries, so a fair amount of description is expected within the case studies but it needs a clearer overview initially and a more evaluative commentary at the end of each section (environment and economy).
You also need to look at the topic in relation to scales - timescales (ie short-term, medium term and long term to evaluate the impacts) and also location, local, regional and global impacts.

I would start from the title as the centre of a spider diagram as my plan and identify aspects of the environment eg flooding, ecosystems, landslides etc and then do the same for the economy. Use this spider diag to provide a good overview in the intro, to help structure your essay into environmental impacts (one para for each aspect, even if there are different examples mentioned - the question is about the IMPACTS not the case studies), then economic impacts and then how the two mesh and also to help your conclusion which is far too brief.
Can anyone help me with this question, 'what are the implications for economic development and service provision of a changing age and gender structure?'

I understand the changing age structure, but not sure about the gender imbalance.

Latest

Trending

Trending