The Student Room Group

Sabriel versus Lirael

Hi all you Garth Nix fans,

I recently got into reading the Abhorsen trilogy and came away loving
the series yet torn between two main characters; Sabriel and Lirael!

IN YOUR OPINION WHO WAS THE BETTER/STRONGER CHARACTER?
Me, I'd say Sabriel just because i identified with her the most. What do other posters think?

Also, can anyone recommend good books/series by David Eddings? :smile:
The Belgariad and the Mallorean are two wicked series' by David Eddings, and his wife Leigh, who always seems to be forgotten. There's also a new series that's still being written called 'The Dreamers. He's written the first two at the moment, The Elder Gods, and The Treasured Ones.

Hope that's some help.
Reply 3
Thanks for the info PsychoGerbil! :smile:

BUT CAN ANYONE POST WHY THEY PREFER EITHER SABRIEL OR LIRAEL?

Bit sad, I know, but little else to do.
Reply 4
Which David Eddings should I read first?

Sabriel is a better character altogether.
Reply 5
I Love Sabriel, I feel like her charcter was strong and powerful.
But upon reading the final book, I feel more attached Lirael, while reading it I felt the emtional journey of her character was slighty more deeper than Sabriel's, any one agree?
benieam
I Love Sabriel, I feel like her charcter was strong and powerful.
But upon reading the final book, I feel more attached Lirael, while reading it I felt the emtional journey of her character was slighty more deeper than Sabriel's, any one agree?

I agree. I love Sabriel but she was a little perfect.
Lirael I connected with a lot more. I mean she was a total outcast and she liked hanging out in libraries. Me and her were separated at birth!!
But yes I think her character did evolve a lot more. Sabriel seemed a bit more together from the start.
Reply 7
clockworkapples
I agree. I love Sabriel but she was a little perfect.
Lirael I connected with a lot more. I mean she was a total outcast and she liked hanging out in libraries. Me and her were separated at birth!!
But yes I think her character did evolve a lot more. Sabriel seemed a bit more together from the start.

How was Sabriel perfect? She never knew her mother and her dad was rarely around. She lost her best friend and her fave teacher, then had to contend with the potentially dangerous mogget. She had much more to deal with than Lirael ever did. Lirael had Dog.
If it were a contest I'm sure Sabriel would win-she had more time to grow into her powers.
Reply 8
ssl9165
How was Sabriel perfect? She never knew her mother and her dad was rarely around. She lost her best friend and her fave teacher, then had to contend with the potentially dangerous mogget. She had much more to deal with than Lirael ever did. Lirael had Dog.
If it were a contest I'm sure Sabriel would win-she had more time to grow into her powers.

Oh yeah.. is it just me or are David eddings characters a little off base?
ssl9165
Oh yeah.. is it just me or are David eddings characters a little off base?

Who are Sabriel and Lirael?
ssl9165

Thats her life you're talking about, not HER. I never said she had a perfect life. She didnt seem to have enough to overcome in her character, she was too good to begin with. And I wouldnt have said that she had to "contend" with Mogget (I love Mogget tho, so much better than Dog).
Reply 11
clockworkapples
Thats her life you're talking about, not HER. I never said she had a perfect life. She didnt seem to have enough to overcome in her character, she was too good to begin with. And I wouldnt have said that she had to "contend" with Mogget (I love Mogget tho, so much better than Dog).

Dog beats Mogget hands down.
Reply 12
ssl9165
Dog beats Mogget hands down.

I think mogget might have been better if we saw more of him.

Its wierd, in my head I think of the dog as male and the cat as female - I wonder why...

Latest