The Student Room Group

What AS's should be done to read law?

Hey all,

Im hoping to read law at a relatively good uni. At the moment my choices for AS are: Ethics with Philosophy, Spanish, and then Biology OR chemistry. The problem is the fourth A-Level. My friends have recommended to me History and English Lit, but I really dont enjoy either of those subjects and seriously doubt my ability to get an 'A' in them.

Could someone tell me a good 4th a-level to study beside Lit or History?
essay subjects plus one science subject? avoid law

I wouldn't bother with ethics with philosophy mainly because i've never heard of it lol. Go for english and history for your best chances
Something essay based, cant really think of anything other than lit or history.
I'm sure i heard tht some universities see ethics and philosophy as a 'soft' subject but would need this verifying.
Reply 3
History and English Lit would help your application. I'm doing both and they're OK.

Mathematics, Economics, Geography etc, i.e. the more traditional subjects would be beneficial.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
essay subjects plus one science subject? avoid law

Why's that?
Reply 5
Anything you want - one essay subject is useful but not essential. I have friends who are studying law who took three sciences.
Reply 6
crushdtinbox
Why's that?

leads to bad habits or some such. although it doesnt mean you couldnt their are quite a few at oxford who did study law at a level.
History and English Lit are your best bets to be honest. I hated them both at GCSE level but ended up doing them at AS and to be honest has been much better than expected. English lit is a nice and easy A in the bag but History takes a bit more effort. I wouldn't say either are particularly hard but are VERY well respected, especially when considering applying for a Law degree.
Reply 8
You really don't have to do English lit. / history.

I had this dilemma last year before picking my A-level subjects for law.

Basically, what you need is good, strong and above all, academically rigorous subjects. This includes the tougher essay based subjects like RS (philosophy + ethics), history, English lit. etc.. It also includes mathematics, pure sciences (phys/chem/bio) and modern foreign languages.

It is best to get a mix out of these but also to focus on what you are good at and can manage, don't over-challenge yourself unless you are confident you can manage it.

I'm doing maths, 2 sciences and 2 essay-based subjects with the aspiration to read law at a good university too. Granted, I do one subject out of English lit. and history, but don't be bullied into doing so if you don't feel like you'll be able to perform well. Remember, law is very competitive and at the top-universities, anything below A grades at AS is bad!
james_dow
leads to bad habits or some such. although it doesnt mean you couldnt their are quite a few at oxford who did study law at a level.

I think I'm confused. Are you talking about law at A-level?
crushdtinbox
Why's that?

whys what? avoid law or take essay subjects?

essay subjects - because i'm guessing you're going to be writing a lot of essays for law and you'll pick up the skills for this through essay subjects. On top of that, you pick up analytical skills

avoid law - don't exactly know why but i know that it's not respected as much as a degree in law. It's blacklisted for both cambridge and LSE i think
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
whys what? avoid law or take essay subjects?

essay subjects - because i'm guessing you're going to be writing a lot of essays for law and you'll pick up the skills for this through essay subjects. On top of that, you pick up analytical skills

avoid law - don't exactly know why but i know that it's not respected as much as a degree in law. It's blacklisted for both cambridge and LSE i think

Sorry - totally misunderstood you.

thought you said, 'if taking essay subjects, avoid law.'

thanks anyway
Reply 12
I took Chemistry, Philosophy and Ethics and Geography and I have a place at York to do law. Most of the prospectuses don't specify any subjects, although I believe the Cambridge one said a "good mix of science and arts" would be helpful for the course. Geography is quite a nice one as it is quite academic but still interesting and quite easy if you can write essays well.
Reply 13
I'd just go with what you think you'll enjoy most!

Though perhaps this will help you, I just applied for a Law degree at Manchester University, and this was included in the requirements:

We do not accept the following subjects which will only be considered as a fourth A-Level and not therefore be accepted as part of a conditional offer:

* Critical thinking, General studies, Media Studies, Art & Design (including Photography, Textiles, CDT & Design Tech), ICT, IT, Dance, Music Technology, Film Studies, Travel & Tourism, Leisure Studies, Health & Social Care and Home Economics.

The following subjects are less preferred but must still usually be a minimum of 70% theoretical to be accepted and will only be considered in combination with two traditional academic subjects:

* Law, Communication Studies, Drama (including Theatre Studies & Performing Arts), Business Studies, PE and Sports Studies.

So it sounds like you're fine with any of the courses you mentioned really. :smile:

Latest