Egham
Visit website

How good is Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SonnyFaolan
is french hard at royal holloway??
i'm really afraid it is! :[

I got a C in A level french and I'm pulling in 2:1 grades on my core french language essays and firsts on my optional modules which are assessed in english. [You are assessed and taught in english for optional modules but all the research and core texts you use are in french]

Just do the work and you'll be fine. I promise.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
herzblut
I got a C in A level french and I'm pulling in 2:1 grades on my core french language essays and firsts on my optional modules which are assessed in english. [You are assessed and taught in english for optional modules but all the research and core texts you use are in french]

Just do the work and you'll be fine. I promise.

I should be ok then, cuz i got an A in A level french : ]
thanks! i feel a little bit more confident! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Hi All

Im writing in from Chennai,India.

I have an unconditional offer from Royal Holloway for the masters program in Intl.Human Resource Management . Ive also got an offer from leeds for the same program . Am a lil confused on which one to choose . Will appreciate your comments and thoughts on this.

Regards

Sandeep
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=2224943450
rsandeep82
Hi All

I have an unconditional offer from Royal Holloway for the masters program in Intl.Human Resource Management . Ive also got an offer from leeds for the same program . Am a lil confused on which one to choose . Will appreciate your comments and thoughts on this.

Regards

Sandeep

First of all, I wouldn't take Facebook groups like that too seriously, especially when a large proportion of the members graduated from RHUL very many years ago! Secondly, I think it all depends on what you're looking for from a University. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue about the quality of the course in either Universities but I will say that overall, Leeds is probably ranked higher in the league tables. In terms of University experience, RHUL is based in a rural village and therefore much of the social aspect of University takes place on the actual campus or in the surrounding areas - Windsor, Kingston etc. Where as, Leeds is based in a large city and therefore there is an abundance of nightlife available i.e. nightclubs, pubs etc. Have you researched anything concerning living costs? It would seem that the living costs in RHUL would be higher although this isn't a problem for home students as the student loan is increased - I'm not sure if it's similar with funding for international students. If you're looking for somewhere with good transport links if you would be travelling home during holidays then Egham is based near London's Heathrow Airport and again I'm not sure about Leeds. It all depends on what you're looking for really so don't rely too wholly on other people's opinions. Hope this helps x x
Reply 25
rsandeep82
Hi All

Regards

Sandeep

Its simple, university is what you make of it. You could go to the worst uni in the Uk and yet still have a great time. Dont worry about what other people think - choose what is right for you.
bansheeee*
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?v=wall&ref=search&gid=2224943450

Jeez just get over it. Are you on a mission or something? Just because you hated it doesnt mean everyone has to.

RHUL ******* rules.
Reply 27
Antonia87
Jeez just get over it. Are you on a mission or something? Just because you hated it doesnt mean everyone has to.

RHUL ******* rules.

THis.
And i typed in banshee's facebook thing and nothing appeared other than my own group list page...what was it?
gm15
THis.
And i typed in banshee's facebook thing and nothing appeared other than my own group list page...what was it?

A group of more or less 100 people who hate Royal Holloway. Although all they seem to be banging on about is how posh some of the students are.
Reply 29
Antonia87
A group of more or less 100 people who hate Royal Holloway. Although all they seem to be banging on about is how posh some of the students are.

And they all seem to be saying things like 'I studied there 20 years ago.....'
Reply 30
I really like RHUL. It has a really friendly environment, despite the Castle impressive presence on campus. The students are from all over the world, and believe me this really adds to the experience. You're getting a truly global education and that's always helpful, especially if you're like me and study Management.

I'm not going to sit here, however, and say that RHUL doesn't have its flaws. For example, Bedford library is TOO small for the amount of students that study here. I know some of you will say go study in Founders, but if you study Social Sciences, like I do, then all the books you need are in there.
What about the management department?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shostakovich-lover

Geography, English, Music, History, Politics and Psychology are the strongest departments. I would recommend them academically, but wouldn't recommend any others.

How would you say their English department ranks compared with Edinburgh's? I'm still making a decision...
1. London university. A UoL degree will do wonders to employability.
2. Great lecturers; not famous, but not terrible either.
3. LONDON DEGREE!

Surely that's enough to sway some opinions. :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by wanderlust.xx
1. London university. A UoL degree will do wonders to employability.
2. Great lecturers; not famous, but not terrible either.
3. LONDON DEGREE!

Surely that's enough to sway some opinions. :tongue:

Plus:
- additional loan because of london weighting
- a uni with one of the highest graduate employment rates
- a uni ranked 13th in the uk! (88th in the world)
Original post by dmoorcroft
Plus:

Plus: Haunted painting and cat, and cat's wife. Also, haunted pool.
Reply 36
Original post by kat2pult
On the whole it's good. Most departments are very respectful, except the politics and music departments which are very well respected, and management which is not.

I know this is an old thread but lmao who are you kidding? Management at Rhul has a better rep than all of those you listed, it's also harder to get a place in than something like French or English.

You're clueless lol

Original post by shostakovich-lover
Management does have a lot of places (approximately half the year do it), but that doesn't mean it is any good! Lots of people seem to take management here if they want to 'get the uni experience' without taking a degree that is too challenging. Economics doesn't have a bad reputation, but this isn't the best place in the country for it, perfectly fine though!

Geography, English, Music, History, Politics and Psychology are the strongest departments. I would recommend them academically, but wouldn't recommend any others.

Another brain dead post. I guarantee it's more challenging than something like history, music or English. You have no idea what you're talking about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Krz
I know this is an old thread but lmao who are you kidding? Management at Rhul has a better rep than all of those you listed, it's also harder to get a place in than something like French or English.

You're clueless lol

Another brain dead post. I guarantee it's more challenging than something like history, music or English. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes management has a good rep. But there's no way its harder to get into than the majority of courses. It has the same grade requirements as most courses and as far as I know doesn't interview. If its so hard to get on to then how come its got such a big intake? I'm not saying its easier to get into just that its not as hard as you make out it is.
Original post by dmoorcroft
Plus:

Where did you get that ranking from?!
Royal Holloway is definitely a 30-40th place ranked uni.
Reply 39
Original post by gm15
Yes management has a good rep. But there's no way its harder to get into than the majority of courses. It has the same grade requirements as most courses and as far as I know doesn't interview. If its so hard to get on to then how come its got such a big intake? I'm not saying its easier to get into just that its not as hard as you make out it is.

I'd say it has a big intake because of how 'general' it is so to speak and the ease of employability with a management degree.

I'm just saying it's harder than what people think it is, the people I quoted have clearly never been part of such a course. I mean to claim History, French etc are harder or more respected than Management is ridiculous and untrue.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending