The Student Room Group

Memory in Psychological Terms - can you help?

I conducted an experiment for my A Level coursework on the method of loci. This involved remembering items in a shopping list.

I instructed participants to read from a book (Oliver Twist) during the five-minute interference task. What, in psychological models of memory, does this do? Yes, it prevents rehearsal - is this because is ties up the articulary loop (Baddely and Hitch)?

Or is this not correct because this is only for spoken words, and so another theory will be valid instead?

Any help would be appreciated.
im bumping this to the top as my way of saying 'i dont know so ill do something nice instead'
Reply 2
Unfortunately I'm not certain either, and the only Psychology textbook I have to hand is only to AS-level. However, I would say that the articulatory toop is part of the Working Memory model, which particularly downplays the importance of rehearsal. It was the Multi-store model (Atkinson & Shiffrin, '68) that (over)emphasised the importance of rehearsal, specifically with regards to transition from STM to LTM. To some extent, you might be combining the two models.

Anyway, that's the only significance of rehearsal that I truly understand, and it's inappropriate in your experiment because preventing transition to LTM should result in insignificant recall after 5 minutes due to the short STM duration. Therefore, I'm probably underqualified to answer your question.... :confused: Sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending