The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, no-one should executed for a crime like this. I don't really think anyone should ever be killed for what they've done.
Reply 21
Completely disagree with execution for a drug related crime. I think drug users and smugglers need to be imprisoned and saved from their lifestyle, made to see past their addiction and their environment.
Reply 22
Also, the pregnancy may have been due to rape as she was in custody for 8 months and is 4 months pregnant (I think the months are right, it may be 6 months pregnant or something similar).
Yeah, I disagree with the death penalty as a whole.
But I really don't think it's right that the baby should die aswell.
It didn't smother drugs, the mother did.
The death penalty is never correct.
Phong Thong :rofl:
Reply 26
That's what I think. The prison she's in is a world away from the kind we have over here, I think she's suffered enough. I don't even think murderers/rapists should get the death penalty, just a **** prison.
I don't agree with the death sentence especially as the woman is pregnant, but that does not excuse what she has done-she should not be exonerated.
Reply 28
She is British, and as such should be dealt with here. No-one should be given a punishment that one cannot be given in their home country.
She took the risk, she broke the law, now she is being punished by the penality in place for all drum smugglers in Laos.
LawBore
She is British, and as such should be dealt with here. No-one should be given a punishment that one cannot be given in their home country.

If you're voluntarily on foreign soil, why shouldn't you be punished by the laws of that nation? Surely, only being allowed to be punished based on the rules and regulations of your country of citizenship would make things very, very unfair. Not to mention, what would you do in cases of dual citizenship?
Mmmmm. no.
Drug smuggler or not she's carring a British child inside her - and it would be hypocritical to terminate a feotus in a country which outlaws abortion.
And anyways, how is smuggling drugs anyworse than the rape that goes on inside prisons?

And to all your morons which are saying "OH NOEZZZ! DA CHILD IZ GUNNA SMUGGLE DRUGGZZZ TEWWW!" have you never heard the phrase "innocent untill proven guilty"? You can't see the future, stop acting like you can. Killing that child under those grounds is like going out and shooting a 14 year old wearing a hoody "because they might turn out to be gang-leeda, rapist, mudera phugz". Ridiculous.
Reply 32
burninginme
If you're voluntarily on foreign soil, why shouldn't you be punished by the laws of that nation? Surely, only being allowed to be punished based on the rules and regulations of your country of citizenship would make things very, very unfair. Not to mention, what would you do in cases of dual citizenship?

Well, in the case of dual citizenship one volunteers to be bound by the laws of another country. But, British citizens have a human right devolved from the EU not to be cruelly or unusually punished. She should be punished, yes- but death is unacceptable, as is allowing her to stay in Laos.
I dont think anyone who was carrying 1.5lb of heroin in Thailand would be sent home, or any other country for that matter. If we say its £30 a gram (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/drugs-the-real-deal-410086.html, so the low end of the value), thats over £20k of heroin. If you were caught with that amount of drugs in any country in the world you would not be sent home, you would be subject to the local laws.
FallenPetal
Mmmmm. no.
Drug smuggler or not she's carring a British child inside her - and it would be hypocritical to terminate a feotus in a country which outlaws abortion.
And anyways, how is smuggling drugs anyworse than the rape that goes on inside prisons?

And to all your morons which are saying "OH NOEZZZ! DA CHILD IZ GUNNA SMUGGLE DRUGGZZZ TEWWW!" have you never heard the phrase "innocent untill proven guilty"? You can't see the future, stop acting like you can. Killing that child under those grounds is like going out and shooting a 14 year old wearing a hoody "because they might turn out to be gang-leeda, rapist, mudera phugz". Ridiculous.

I think they said they were going to wait until the child was born before carrying out any punishment.
Yes. I feel that her pregnancy is irrelevant, especially as she became pregnant while incarcerated. She breached the laws of the country by smuggling far in excess of the 500g of heroin that warrants the death penalty into laos, and if she wishes to break the laws of a specific country and try and mule drugs into it, she should be dealt with by that country to the letter of the laws she has broken.
No, she's not. They're excusing her because she's pregnant, which I don't think is right. I don't agree with capital punishment, but I also don't believe she should be treated any differently than other criminals.
Reply 37
doesn't anyone else think she got pregnant on purpose?
It is wrong to execute her. It's not more wrong to kill her because she's pregnant, it makes absolutely no difference to me.
Every keeps blathering on about how she's a british women. But she was born in Nigeria...

I'm not saying that should make any difference, but surely it should be the Nigerian government wasting time and resources rather than the British one?

Latest

Trending

Trending