The Student Room Group

intensive a-levels/ lil help please!

:eek3: im thinkin of taking on 2 intensive a-levels. basically my choices when i started were disastrous and ive had many bad experiences with my sixth form.
im currently doing...
1.history- love it, fave subject
2.geography- its ok i spose...
3.biology- disaster! not my forte...
4. italian AS- havent had a teacher for a year!

When i started sixth form, i originally planned to do History, French, Gov. and Politics and Sociology (or theatre studies/ performing arts)- oviously quite different! was tempted to do biology, and on results day i went to see the head for advice. My sixthform is very science- motivated, anythin else and its not worth doing apparently..... So got pushed into doing biology AND chemistry. Now i got an A at GCSE but that was with so so so much work and NO social life.Tried to drop them both (biology and chemistry) but was told couldnt drop them until after jan exams. By then was too late to take on anythin else! so kept biology, dropped chem and took up italian at night school.

I dont think im gonna be able to do at all well in Biology, and havent had an itilian teacher for a whole year! we got given stuff to improve our conversational skills, but nothing exam-orientated, so ive decided not to take the exam this year but might do it next year.

Right now to the point........
I really wanna go to kings college ( long story explainin lol). Got into warwick but am gonna withdraw my application ( again, long story!) and apply to kings in october for 2010 entry.

Need 3As tho... History should hopefully be ok as should geography, but no hope for biology!

So am thinkin of taking up sociology and gov. +politics- this would give me 4 full a-levels all with relatively better grades plus perhaps my italian. Just really wondered if im on the right track with my thinking really. would be working and studyin obv during the gap year, but dont wanna be at a disadvantage. I think this route is the only way of obtaining better grades.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! and sorry for the waffle lol
thank u
x
holy moly let me get back to you o.O
Reply 2
I'm currently doing 3 intense A-level courses.
Chemistry, Biology AND French all in ONE year only. and let me warn you it's HARD. and takes a lot of work and effort, but it is possible.
my grades are currently around ABB, but if i'd worked harder, i probably could've attained AAA. also take notice that biology and chemistry are really hard compared to the courses you want to do. so i think you'll defo be alright. good luck!
Sam4God
I'm currently doing 3 intense A-level courses.
Chemistry, Biology AND French all in ONE year only. and let me warn you it's HARD. and takes a lot of work and effort, but it is possible.
my grades are currently around ABB, but if i'd worked harder, i probably could've attained AAA. also take notice that biology and chemistry are really hard compared to the courses you want to do. so i think you'll defo be alright. good luck!

Sorry off topic, but can you do chemistry A level in one year? I thought that was impossible now.
If so, this is great news as I was looking at an extra year in sixth form but if it is possible to sit in one then I can continue with my 2011 UCAS application :smile:
Reply 4
kateamelia
Sorry off topic, but can you do chemistry A level in one year? I thought that was impossible now.
If so, this is great news as I was looking at an extra year in sixth form but if it is possible to sit in one then I can continue with my 2011 UCAS application :smile:

It's possible yes, but it's up to your school to let you. If they say no, then you'll have to change schools, or not do it.

Latest