The Student Room Group

Pupillage interview preparation

Hello TSR.

After agonising over about 20 OLPAS and non OLPAS applications, I am optimistic of getting an interview and would hate to waste all the self-aggrandisement by not performing well on the day. So, I'm trying to create some sort of preparation programme for May and early June (as I understand first-round are ordinarily in late June--correct me if I'm wrong!). Having researched the issue, I've compiled the likely questions into three groups:

1. Competency questions--i.e. 'tell us about a time you were under pressure', 'why not solicitor' etc.

2. Legal and professional news/ethics ('what to do if you know a client is lying', 'what are the effects of the LSA on the Bar etc.)

3. Substantive legal problems/questions (i.e. being given a scenario and asked to comment on possible claims by A after B dropped a brick on their head etc.).

4. CV/Application based questions, in whatever Iteration.

I was thinking of beginning a list of likely questions and outline answers; obviously, it's wrong to sound scripted but equally, it seems foolish not to take advantage of the time. I'm also going to get the 2008 text/guidance on the Bar Code of Conduct and one of the BVC manuals on advocacy (I am pre-BVC but hear that interviews may include elements of applications etc.) Naturally, I'd read Counsel.

I was also going to revise Tort and Contract, including the substantive law and recent developments.

Beyond that, I was wondering what those of you who conducted interviews (i.e. Simon) or undergone them last year would suggest in terms of techniques/questions/areas to prepare. Any tips for performance on the day would also be welcome. Thanks in advance and good luck with your applications.

P.S. I have forgotten that I did get one interview invite thus far, from a North Eastern Circuit mixed criminal/civil set, if that alters your suggestions at all. The other sets are London civil sets, particularly with an emphasis on employment and personal injury.
Reply 1
That appears pretty comprehensive to me.

I'm not sure that scripting answers will assist you beyond anticipating some of the more obvious CV based and 'why the bar?' type questions but reading around those areas is sensible.

Keep abreast of the news generally and not just the legal press - I had an interview question on whether that Emily girl should have been evicted from Big Brother for using the 'N' word, for example, amongst other questions on current affairs.

Then there are the bizarre - 'describe this object to an alien', 'what's your favourite invention?' type questions.

The vast majority of the debate type questions I was asked were impossible to predict.

Also be prepared to be presented with advocacy exercises - bail applications and pleas in mitigation common in criminal sets, injunctions common in civil sets - purchasing an advocacy manual is a sound idea. The City manual isn't bad and there's a little book called Effective Advocacy by Noel Shaw, it's a little out of date on the law but contains some very sound plans for bail applications and pleas in mitigation and the like.
Reply 2
The Shaw text is most useful for criminal advocacy such as bail applications and pleas in mitigation (I have been known to take it to court tucked under my Blackstones). Do you have anyone who could assist you with some practice? Anyone currently on the BVC would have available exercises that you could have a go at. Your Inn may also be able to assist.

I thought that the City manual was published by Blackstones - can you not borrow a copy or pick one up second hand?

If you are applying to civil common law sets you will probably be fine focusing on tort and contract. Other sets - swot up on their principle practice areas.

Other questions - which six people would you invite to a dinner party - give a presentation on 10 things you should do before you die - how would you reform the House of Lords....

And of a legal nature - should the Niqab be permitted in court - should the Cab Rank rule be abolished - should sex offenders have their details published on the internet....

I'm sure that there are books of interview questions that you could have a look at.

Read Counsel, check the Bar Council Website and blog. Keep on top of any important House of Lords decisions.
Reply 3
I would say subscribe to a selection of newspapers and read them daily. Where there are any law related stories look into the policies / legal developments behind them. E.g. last year there was a lot of questions about witness anonymity / zimbabwe / reform to rape laws / legal aid reforms / euthanasia / 42 days detention before charge for terrorism suspect. All of these were commented on in the news. Also the general knowledge questions such as the big brother one above (i had something similar) or questions about ID cards / whether the olympics is a waste of money etc all came from news stories.

In terms of planning answers definitley worth thinking about why the bar / why each particular set of Chambers - but beyond those generic questions I would steer clear of this. There is the danger of having a scripted answer that you want to use and then you end up not directly answering the questions asked. So much about the interviews are thinking on your feet. Quite often I was asked what I think about an issue and then told to argue the opposite of what I think. Having a fixed line of argument in your head can be problematic. Although, having a set of bullet points for and against key issues is useful. E.g. points for and against 42 days / relying on diplomatic assurances etc

I was applying to sets doing legal aid / claimant immigration / criminal defence / prison law. For those sets revising contract / tort is not really useful. I also found there were quite a few questions on legal principles - so revising constitutional law principles / criminal law principles would be useful. So I suppose a lot depends on the set you are applying to.

Latest

Trending

Trending