The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i m doing 'of mice and men' as well. lennie is hilarious mental dumie. hehe ,lol. but rly it is very boring. I ve also read it 2 times and going to read it 2 times more.lol.u r lucky ppl, who have sat their english lit exam last year, since this year we cant have annotated anthology book.
I m really really stuck with english lit. termines,e.g onomatopoeia and etc. dunno if i spelt it right.lol. Can someone provide any links with useful stuff on this glossary please?
WantA*
Ill have to re-read (I have read it twice now) "Of Mice and Men" by JOHN STIENBECK which is seroiusly boring! Well its going to be in the exam so I have to learn it, unless I wanna fail, which obviously I dont!

wow I feel REALLY sorry for you&izzy :frown: luckily I did Mockingbird instead :biggrin: I hate Steinbeck beyond BELIEF

Yeah twas unfortunate that they stopped that this year :frown:
Reply 22
IZZY!
i m doing 'of mice and men' as well. lennie is hilarious mental dumie. hehe ,lol. but rly it is very boring. I ve also read it 2 times and going to read it 2 times more.lol.u r lucky ppl, who have sat their english lit exam last year, since this year we cant have annotated anthology book.
I m really really stuck with english lit. termines,e.g onomatopoeia and etc. dunno if i spelt it right.lol. Can someone provide any links with useful stuff on this glossary please?

lol yea its really boring. Yea last year was un-fair, got to annotate the book and the Anthology, they should have continued allowing it to be fair. I have got a "GCSE English Technical Terms" book by CGP which is pretty helpful with learning the terminology. Its for both Foundation & Higher tiers, although im doing Higher.
Reply 23
Oh I have to revise Of Mice and Men too, but it isn't as bad as a View From the Bridge!!!
Of mice and men is p*ss easy. In my GCSE mock, i got an A on that part of the question (B overall, as i got a B on the poetry question), and i only revised it by reading the first 3 chapters on the bus on the way to school.
Reply 25
Anyone doing OCR and Journey's End?
Reply 26
Zhivago - sparknotes.com might help you with that, they have some excellent notes.

It depends what question you get though, one of the ones I could be given is why the novel is still popular!!
Reply 27
Right....gutted. The only thing I could ever do that question on was Romeo and Juliet. Because I talked about how the violence, and love etc are still relatable, interesting themes today, and how the film had helped to broaden its audience!

But yeah cheers. Sparknotes - I'm there now!
Reply 28
Some of the questions are very weird, which exam board are you on? :smile:
Reply 29
For book notes, you could try pink monkey: http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/notes1.asp
Reply 30
Could somebody please help me - I am doing my English for the 3rd time and i really wanna pass it please could somebody give me some notes. For studying for exams i am doing it for CCEA, I have difficulty with the 1st paper. Help me please
Reply 31
Ok, well I am afraid I can't help you specifically, but get lots of past papers, practice some questions and then as your teacher where you could improve. Your teacher will be able to help you a lot :smile:
Reply 32
i LOVED a view from the bridge!!!!! but that might be because the other play we're doing (and the one we're doing for the exam) is much ado about nothing. I understand it, I just can't write about it analytically!!!! so my plan is to re-read it. as many times as I can before the exam (on the 23rd of this month!!!!noooooo!!!!! :-(((((((( )
Reply 33
My friends and teacher can't see why I am so pessimisstic, but I am! I am going to an English revision class, for higher people, so that should help a lot.
Reply 34
Does anyone here know any good revision sites for OCR English Lit and English Language? We're using Opening Worlds, Opening Lines(generations) and Journey's End :eek:
Reply 35
Yeah snap! Only we're doing war poems for openening lines. SparkNotes.com is the usual site - but it doesn't have anything on Journey's End! Grr! Can't find anything on the opening worlds stories either!
Does anyone know where I can get some good notes for english language. I'm good at lit and I know what to go over there but I know I'm going to loose out on the language side if I'm not careful.
Reply 38
soulsussed
Does anyone know where I can get some good notes for english language. I'm good at lit and I know what to go over there but I know I'm going to loose out on the language side if I'm not careful.

When I done that exam a long time ago, you just need to do some writing on a topic and do some reading compreshension questions. For the second paper for english language, you just need to answer a question about poetry and do a question on writing (describe, persuade, advise, etc...)
woww..picked out loads of advice hereeeee..thanks i think that i feel much better abt my ENGLISH exams... :tsr: