The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

sophie_c
I would go with single tbh in Wardlaw (which is going to be being renovated next yr) and old wing, probably the majority of freshers rooms will be shared... but on general, the majority of freshers are put in Lumsden which are pretty much all single (this is how it seems to be to me anyway!) ...

And I would just say you'd like to be Uni Hall if possible somewhere. That's what I did... I think I put something along the lines of "if it could be possible, I would prefer a single room, preferably University Hall. I don't mind being in a less central hall if it is more probable that I could have a single room"... And I got a single room in Uni Hall! :biggrin:

good luck!

Okay, thanks! :smile: I need to hurry up and apply for accomodation I hadn't realised how late in may it was :eek:

Cheers :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 61
shortcake_x
Okay, thanks! :smile: I need to hurry up and apply for accomodation I hadn't realised how late in may it was :eek:

Cheers :smile:

Hehe, scary how the time has flown! I'm going to have to remember to do SAAS at some point.... hmm...it can wait...

Good luck anyway!
sophie_c
Hehe, scary how the time has flown! I'm going to have to remember to do SAAS at some point.... hmm...it can wait...

Good luck anyway!

oh yeah SAAS! I forgot about that lol! Thankyou :smile:
Reply 63
shortcake_x
oh yeah SAAS! I forgot about that lol! Thankyou :smile:

Lucky they pay your tuition fees :frown: Wish student finance england would do that!
Reply 64
Oxy
Lucky they pay your tuition fees :frown: Wish student finance england would do that!

I know, we are pretty lucky! Uni would be pretty much out of the question for me if they didn't!
Someone told me, though I could have misunderstood, that the English loans company give you more to help cover the tuition fees?
Reply 65
I'm not 100% on this, but I understand that SAAS will pay for 100% of the tuition fees for Scottish students in Scottish universities, whereas in England, the student has to pay their tuition fees. However in England every English student is entitled to a loan to cover the tuition fees (up to £3225 this year, the maximum UK tuition fee), as long as the university is within the UK. The money is transferred directly to the university, so if you go to as Scottish university where the fees are £1820 to English students, you cannot ask for a £3225 loan, and keep the excess.

Every student is also eligible for a maintenance loan, and the amount available is dependent on your household income. Those with an income below (£52k?) are also able to get a maintenance grant, which doesn't have to be paid back. However if you receive a maintenance grant, the limit of your maintenance loan may be decreased. The maintenance loan that you receive in the first year will remain the same throughout your time at university unless your financial circumstances change (for example the people I know in the same financial circumstances as me who went to uni last year will be able to get £1200 a year, every year, more on their maintenance loan than I will going this year)
Reply 66
Bucky!
I'm not 100% on this, but I understand that SAAS will pay for 100% of the tuition fees for Scottish students in Scottish universities, whereas in England, the student has to pay their tuition fees. However in England every English student is entitled to a loan to cover the tuition fees (up to £3225 this year, the maximum UK tuition fee), as long as the university is within the UK. The money is transferred directly to the university, so if you go to as Scottish university where the fees are £1820 to English students, you cannot ask for a £3225 loan, and keep the excess.

Every student is also eligible for a maintenance loan, and the amount available is dependent on your household income. Those with an income below (£52k?) are also able to get a maintenance grant, which doesn't have to be paid back. However if you receive a maintenance grant, the limit of your maintenance loan may be decreased. The maintenance loan that you receive in the first year will remain the same throughout your time at university unless your financial circumstances change (for example the people I know in the same financial circumstances as me who went to uni last year will be able to get £1200 a year, every year, more on their maintenance loan than I will going this year)

So it's pretty much the same then except if you're from England you get your fees paid for anywhere in the UK, whereas we are just in Scotland...and we don't have to pay ours back? We have to apply for the fees to be paid, and SAAS pays direct to the uni.
And the student loan sounds the same too, we have a bursary (which doesn't need to be paid back) as part of it which increases as the household income decreases, so the max loan+bursary combination you can get is 50:50, which is what I get...
I don't exactly know what the cut-offs for the different amounts of loan and bursary etc are, but it sounds pretty much like the English system to me.
Reply 67
sophie_c
So it's pretty much the same then except if you're from England you get your fees paid for anywhere in the UK, whereas we are just in Scotland...and we don't have to pay ours back? We have to apply for the fees to be paid, and SAAS pays direct to the uni.
And the student loan sounds the same too, we have a bursary (which doesn't need to be paid back) as part of it which increases as the household income decreases, so the max loan+bursary combination you can get is 50:50, which is what I get...
I don't exactly know what the cut-offs for the different amounts of loan and bursary etc are, but it sounds pretty much like the English system to me.

No you don't have to pay yours back, but we have just just like the maintenance loan/grant. I worked out I get roughly £6,000 in total grant + loan...so over 4/5 years that's atleast £24,000 debt? lovely.
Reply 68
Oxy, you realise you don't have to pay a maintenance grant back. That's why it's a "grant", not a "loan". A grant is effectively free money.
Reply 69
Oxy
No you don't have to pay yours back, but we have just just like the maintenance loan/grant. I worked out I get roughly £6,000 in total grant + loan...so over 4/5 years that's atleast £24,000 debt? lovely.

We have to pay our loan back too... just not the bursary part (ie your grant)
Reply 70
This is confusing :s-smilie:.
Reply 71
sophie_c
We have to pay our loan back too... just not the bursary part (ie your grant)

Oh I forgot the tuition fees, add about £8,000 to that figure. Ah ok I forgot that you dont have to pay the grant back lol

And universities want to increase the fees even more?!
Reply 72
Oxy
Oh I forgot the tuition fees, add about £8,000 to that figure. Ah ok I forgot that you dont have to pay the grant back lol

And universities want to increase the fees even more?!

Yehh, that's annoying! I do feel sorry for the International students (well the ones who have to pay fees) ...I know some Americans who are charged about £11-15000 in fees alone EACH YEAR! :eek:
Tuition fees for the lose. Yay for saas :smile:
Reply 74
shortcake_x
Tuition fees for the lose. Yay for saas :smile:

Ok for some!

sophie_c
Yehh, that's annoying! I do feel sorry for the International students (well the ones who have to pay fees) ...I know some Americans who are charged about £11-15000 in fees alone EACH YEAR! :eek:

yeah I agree, the university gets silly amounts of money from international students. Isn't that why the universities love them? ^^
Oxy
Ok for some!

Lol sorry :frown: it sucks you guys have to pay! English student finance should get it sorted :smile:
Reply 76
Oxy

yeah I agree, the university gets silly amounts of money from international students. Isn't that why the universities love them? ^^

I don't think the university actually gets more money - they will get the same amount as for a home student.
The difference is, when a Scottish (or English) student goes to StAs to study, their local council heavily subsidises their tuition fees. This money goes to the university, it's the local council who loses out.

Overseas students don't have a local council to foot most of the bill for them, so they have to pay more.

I don't think it makes a jot of difference to the university :smile:

James

edit: Shortcake, physics :biggrin: woo. I'm studying that now (Y)
Reply 77
M_E_X
I don't think the university actually gets more money - they will get the same amount as for a home student.
The difference is, when a Scottish (or English) student goes to StAs to study, their local council heavily subsidises their tuition fees. This money goes to the university, it's the local council who loses out.

Overseas students don't have a local council to foot most of the bill for them, so they have to pay more.

James

Don't they get any help at all from their governments? Ah well one thing is for sure, we'll be in debt when we graduate!
M_E_X

James

Woo :biggrin: how're you enjoying it? :smile: What year are you in btw?
Reply 79
shortcake_x
Woo :biggrin: how're you enjoying it? :smile: What year are you in btw?

I'm a fresher (first year), but I'm doing accelerated entry so I'm doing second year modules. Next year I'm doing 3000 modules (3rd year), which is juniour honors - scary stuff! :biggrin:

Where are you staying? Or don't you guys know yet?
And are you doing first or second year entry?

and yes, it's great :smile:

James
x

Latest

Trending

Trending