The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Oxy
Didn't realise the scale only consisted of difficult....and easy. Sorry.

I never said that XD

You don't have to find something difficult all the time for it not to be easy...

But this is a pointless argument. If you are good enough not to have any difficulties with 2nd year at uni, well done.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 101
Meteorshower
I never said that XD

You don't have to find something difficult all the time for it not to be easy...

But this is a pointless argument. If you are good enough not to have any difficulties with 2nd year at uni, well done.

Could of just said that in your first reply :p:
Reply 102
I thought the whole point of "Second Year Entry" was so that BSc degrees could be awarded in 3 years as they are in England. So when you are doing 'direct entry', you are infact doing what would (at least) be expected of you should you be going into first year at an English University.

The non-direct entry program is AFAIK mainly designed for those who have not done their chosen degree subject at AH/A-Level (like scottish students leaving after 5th year).
To participate in the delightful pastime of beating dead horses...

- 1st year entry isn't always 'easy peasy', and 2nd year entry isn't the norm, with first year as an introductory option. First year modules can still challenge you, from what I've gathered. Particularly for arts subjests, it's not as clear-cut as science stuff, where you can say, 'you have AH Chemistry, you know how to name all these hydrocarbonny thingies'.
Edit:
Square, you're partially right, I think: it is there to provide the 3-year option where it can, but I think the end years of the Scottish education system differ enough from those in the English system [i.e. doing 3 AH's isn't always considered normal by a school, and it's not always easy to do the subjects you want. I wasn't even aware of there being a second maths AH until I'd sat my exams], so the majority of Scottish unis need to be aware of that. It's a good thing to have different starting points to cater for your previous educational opportunities.

- Regardless of any module content, you will almost certainly feel a different to the work pace and style of school. You need to learn faster, more independently, with fewer resources _designed_ for the course you are studying, and a lot of the time, it's hard to find more than 1-2 relevant past papers, because the module content gets changed quite often. And it's your responsibility to motivate yourself to do anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending