The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
puppy
I mean cleaning toilets must have its perks.

*distressed noise*

We can always do cinema studies at Paisley next year; you like movies, right?
Reply 2
first year exams dont count (are you first year?!)
Reply 3
Willa

Mine does!!
Reply 4
Willa

Yeah I'm a first year. It matters to me though. And if I fail it probably wouldn't be a good thing at this stage!
lol, I think i'll end up with a 2.2 this year - GREAT!

MB
Reply 6
musicboy
lol, I think i'll end up with a 2.2 this year - GREAT!

MB

What's the highest possible mark and what's the passing mark?
Reply 7
I think it's:

1*
2.i
2.ii
Ordinary
Pass
Reply 8
Camford
Mine does!!

no it doesnt...does it?
Reply 9
To whoever it was who asked the question of getting a job with a third - yeh of course you can, especially if you're from Cambridge. Often it's the potential and quality of the graduate that counts, rather than how good you can at the subject anyway (depends on the job, of course.)

Anyway, yeh, my friend's dad got a third from Cambridge and he's an engineer now - think he built some large bridge somewhere too. He broke with the stress, basically why he got a third.
Reply 10
Michael Mourao
What's the highest possible mark and what's the passing mark?

To your sig:
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
Ticki
I think it's:

1*
2.i
2.ii
Ordinary
Pass

Ordinary is the same as Pass, isn't it? I thought it was used just for finalists, so if you miss a third you still get a BA but without Honours?
Reply 12
Willa
no it doesnt...does it?

Yes it so does!!:frown:
Reply 13
What's a 1*?
minimo
What's a 1*?

1st class with distinction - a starred first. you get that if you get a very high first (or get a first in every paper, usually the same thing).
Reply 15
:eek:
Reply 16
amateurish
1st class with distinction - a starred first. you get that if you get a very high first (or get a first in every paper, usually the same thing).

Sounds nice... don't think its going to happen some how.

There is a good chance of a first or 2:1 isn't there?

really needs a 1 or 2:1 for my law conversion.
Reply 17
irisng
Anyway, yeh, my friend's dad got a third from Cambridge and he's an engineer now - think he built some large bridge somewhere too. He broke with the stress, basically why he got a third.

That's a different generation, when degrees were much rarer and more difficult. Sorry to burst bubbles, but these days you'd need good contacts and/or a fair amount relevant experience at least to get a good job (i.e. one which most of us are aiming for) without a 2.i.

An Ordinary is different from a Pass. But you'd not want to be getting anything like that anyway, so let's not dwell on it. Hopefully none of us will ever need to know.

A 1*, in history at least, is awarded for papers obtaining over 75%. Very, very rare.
Reply 18
so effectively, they never use the 'full mark range' ie up to a 100? Its good though, in a way, helps to bring people back dwn to Earth, especially if you are used to getting high marks continually at school, when maybe one did not always work as hard as they could have.
Reply 19
irisng
To whoever it was who asked the question of getting a job with a third - yeh of course you can, especially if you're from Cambridge. Often it's the potential and quality of the graduate that counts, rather than how good you can at the subject anyway (depends on the job, of course.)

umm, that's just BS :eek: