The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
teriaki
Accountancy is extremely boring. So stay as far as possible from any Big Four recruitment schemes or you'll be sorry for the rest of your life. Just to be on the safe side, don't apply to the finance departments of any large companies either.

Why do you say this??? You were saying you wanted to work for KPMG??????
Reply 21
triciclo
Why do you say this??? You were saying you wanted to work for KPMG??????

Your sarcasm detector is a little rusty. I am saying this because I want everybody else to stay as far away from accounting as possible so that it will be easier for me to get a job there.
Reply 22
flugestuge
You should not have any problems at all.

But there are problems. Getting a job at one of the Big Four is extremely competitive and difficult.
Though then again, I don't suppose that many people are going to be lining up to go on BASF's or John Deere's CIMA training program.
Reply 23
flugestuge
Depends on what you compare it to.
Getting a job with GS or BCG is far harder.

Thats a rather odd comparison. There probably isn't anything out there thats harder to get into than Goldman or BCG but that doesn't mean that just because compared to those getting into the Big Four is easier, that it is easy.
They still receive many many times more applications than they have positions available. I still have to be better than like 90% of the other applicants to get a job.
Reply 24
teriaki
Your sarcasm detector is a little rusty. I am saying this because I want everybody else to stay as far away from accounting as possible so that it will be easier for me to get a job there.

yes I'm bad at getting sarcasm! In any case... I think you CAN get a job... just make sure you read around as much as you can on the subject of big 4 interviews, online tests, competencies, etc. Read the newspaper, listen to radio and tv news. That is what I did and I got a job. Good luck.
Reply 25
flugestuge
Sure.
However the quality of the applicants is pretty shocking.

What would you class as the typical Big Four applicant then? Seen as more and more banks are cutting their grad intake you'll find alot more banking rejects applying to the Big Four.

Go back to the IB forum troll.
Reply 26
flugestuge
Sure.
However the quality of the applicants is pretty shocking.

Considering they're among the largest graduate recruiters in the UK, they probably do get some rather shockingly bad applications....as well as their fair share of some pretty good ones. Getting a job with them is quite difficult.
Reply 27
lol I really don't know why everyone says accounting is boring. Maybe it really is better to be in a smaller firm where you get a wider experience. I really like it... maybe I am just dull :frown:
Reply 28
I actually quite like it. Not all of it, but does that have to be? People seem to forget that there are more firms than just the big four. Generally, the bigger the firm, the bigger the work-pressuer.
Scaffold
I actually quite like it. Not all of it, but does that have to be? People seem to forget that there are more firms than just the big four. Generally, the bigger the firm, the bigger the work-pressuer.

Also, the bigger the firm, the higher the salary.
Reply 30
Mr Kipling
Also, the bigger the firm, the higher the salary.

True.
However, during my internship the salaries were the same.
Accountancy jobs, especially at the big 4, are really glamourised for people who want to join. Sometimes it can be some of the most soul destroying work you could imagine. And when they say they work you hard, you are worked very hard indeed. Boring? Mostly.
adamstartin
Accountancy jobs, especially at the big 4, are really glamourised for people who want to join. Sometimes it can be some of the most soul destroying work you could imagine. And when they say they work you hard, you are worked very hard indeed. Boring? Mostly.

Boring it may be, but alot of people just work there for 3 years, get the ACA qualification then leave. That is why they hire sooo many graduates.

Many people just think big four = boring and are ignorant to realise that the ACA qualification is highly-regarded and can lead to many other opportunities.

Not only that, but ACA gives someone alot of job security.
Mr Kipling
Boring it may be, but alot of people just work there for 3 years, get the ACA qualification then leave. That is why they hire sooo many graduates.

Many people just think big four = boring and are ignorant to realise that the ACA qualification is highly-regarded and can lead to many other opportunities.

Not only that, but ACA gives someone alot of job security.
Completely true, but the answer to the original question is yes it is boring. Personally I think it's worth it for what you get out of it at the end, but it doesn't make the job any better.
Reply 34
teriaki
Accountancy is extremely boring. So stay as far as possible from any Big Four recruitment schemes or you'll be sorry for the rest of your life. Just to be on the safe side, don't apply to the finance departments of any large companies either.

If you think it's so boring, why are you asking questions about how many people secure a graduate position from their internship?
Reply 35
Kemik
If you think it's so boring, why are you asking questions about how many people secure a graduate position from their internship?

I can't believe you took what I said seriously. And neither did you bother to read what I had replied when somebody else asked me the same question:
I am joking. I want as many people as possible to think that accountancy is boring so that they don't apply to all the jobs I want to apply to. The last thing I need is more people to compete with when applying for that audit position with KPMG.
Reply 36
Brown_Bateman
Sarcasm only works when what you're saying isn't true.

Well either way, the less people that apply to accounting graduate schemes, the better for me.
teriaki
Well either way, the less people that apply to accounting graduate schemes, the better for me.

TBH, I really doubt that the number of people discouraged from applying due to posts they read on TSR will have any great effect on the applicant:tongue:lace ratio...
Reply 38
Illusionary
TBH, I really doubt that the number of people discouraged from applying due to posts they read on TSR will have any great effect on the applicant:tongue:lace ratio...

A valid point indeed but I must make every effort to discourage as many people as possible from applying to accountancy jobs. You have to start from somewhere.
teriaki
A valid point indeed but I must make every effort to discourage as many people as possible from applying to accountancy jobs. You have to start from somewhere.

No offence mate but I'm sure some people will be reading your comments and will be encouraged to apply so they can out-compete your ***.

Latest

Trending

Trending