The Student Room Group

St.George or Birmingham?

Hey, um ive got offers for medicine (5yrs) from St George's (AAAb) and the University of Birmingham (AAB). So I'm really confused because i think st george is a pretty decent med school but ive heard that tootings a bit shady and the uni is small and since its purely health sciences based apparently you get a bit tired of it. I was wondering if birmingham would be better, it is higher up in the times ratings and has a pretty sweet campus. I'm an international student and really confused about which place to put as my first choice so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think bham.. you wouldnt wanna live in tooting its really rough
Reply 2
Im pretty sure medicine is meant to be the same everywhere, its one of those degrees where every uni has to follow the same course outline.
asian_doll
i think bham.. you wouldnt wanna live in tooting its really rough
Oh common, it's not that bad! :rolleyes:

OP, come to George's! :yy:
Reply 4
i'll say this nicely before somebody else starts screaming it at you: league tables mean jack all. it doesn't matter where george's is or bham is on them, either way you end up with an MBBS that's accredited by the GMC.
i applied to birmingham as well. absolutely loved it: the campus IS gorgeous and it just seemed like an amazing place. then again, i don't know george's at all (although !MEna is also biased so i don't know whether he's the best person to listen to, hahah!)
Reply 5
Some people want to be in London, does this matter to you? If so > SGUL

Some people want to avoid London, is this you ? > Birm

Some people like the idea of only being around other medics, is this you? > SGUL

Some people like being around people that are doing all different subjects, is this you? > Birm

The Birmingham campus is really nice, and its a nice big city with plenty to do. Not too sure about location and siting of SGUL.

Accomodation will be cheaper at Birm, and so will the cost of living. Is this important to you?

etc etc
Reply 6
lotusx
i'll say this nicely before somebody else starts screaming it at you: league tables mean jack all. it doesn't matter where george's is or bham is on them, either way you end up with an MBBS that's accredited by the GMC.
i applied to birmingham as well. absolutely loved it: the campus IS gorgeous and it just seemed like an amazing place. then again, i don't know george's at all (although !MEna is also biased so i don't know whether he's the best person to listen to, hahah!)

Ok fine i get that in the end its the same course and the same degree. But what about after graduation? How much does your medical school matter when your looking for jobs and trying to get into private practice?
Reply 7
azeemkhan13
Ok fine i get that in the end its the same course and the same degree. But what about after graduation? How much does your medical school matter when your looking for jobs and trying to get into private practice?

it doesn't. when you're applying for FY1/2, they can't see which medical school you've graduated from.
about private practice, i have absolutely no idea. i think you'd probably be best asking one of the current medical students about that, as they're sure to know more than me; i wouldn't want to say something that's misleading.
Reply 8
Eta
Some people want to be in London, does this matter to you? If so > SGUL

Some people want to avoid London, is this you ? > Birm

Some people like the idea of only being around other medics, is this you? > SGUL

Some people like being around people that are doing all different subjects, is this you? > Birm

The Birmingham campus is really nice, and its a nice big city with plenty to do. Not too sure about location and siting of SGUL.

Accomodation will be cheaper at Birm, and so will the cost of living. Is this important to you?

etc etc
I understand those aspects but is there any way to be sure which one is the better med-school in general? Or do you believe it depends on the kind of student you are and the course structure of the university?
Reply 9
azeemkhan13
I understand those aspects but is there any way to be sure which one is the better med-school in general? Or do you believe it depends on the kind of student you are and the course structure of the university?

That is more of a question of how you learn best etc, ie kind of student you are and course structure.

That said, most of the lecturers here who have spoken to us on the issue can't see how you can deliver a course with a suitable factual background with PBL, they seem to regard it as teaching on the cheap.
lotusx

They matter on an individual level though. Don't tell me that league tables didn't even subconsciously affect your university choices.

Anyway, both universities "tick all the boxes".

I applied to Birmingham as well. It was my safety net. I didn't really like the place that much - though it was alright I guess. Picked Southampton as insurance over it though.
Reply 11
!MEna
Oh common, it's not that bad! :rolleyes:

OP, come to George's! :yy:
Is tooting really as rough as people seem to say it is? I'd like to go to SGUL but it's location is a bit dodgy isn't it? Or do you think that you can live there for 5 years with no real problems?
Reply 12
azeemkhan13
Is tooting really as rough as people seem to say it is? I'd like to go to SGUL but it's location is a bit dodgy isn't it? Or do you think that you can live there for 5 years with no real problems?

To be honest mate, although I'm admittedly never been, Tooting isn't that bad and SGUL is pretty damn good. IMO, Birmingham is a bit too much of a 'factory', over 400 students in a year would be too impersonal for me. For starters I'd consider whether you want to be in London or not, and the potential costs of this.
Reply 13
Alex D
To be honest mate, although I'm admittedly never been, Tooting isn't that bad and SGUL is pretty damn good. IMO, Birmingham is a bit too much of a 'factory', over 400 students in a year would be too impersonal for me. For starters I'd consider whether you want to be in London or not, and the potential costs of this.

I agree with you about the number of students at Birmingham and yeah SGUL is a lot smaller and way more personal. I don't really mind if I'm in London or not. I just want to be in the better med-school. And if SGUL is purely health science based and with fewer students, would that make it the better med-school?
Reply 14
azeemkhan13
I agree with you about the number of students at Birmingham and yeah SGUL is a lot smaller and way more personal. I don't really mind if I'm in London or not. I just want to be in the better med-school. And if SGUL is purely health science based and with fewer students, would that make it the better med-school?

To be honest mate, the better med school is the medical school that is best for you. Think about the course and your learning style. I know league tables do have an effect on people's decisions but I'd urge you to chose the med school that you will be happy at, not where the Times/Guardian think is best for you.

Prestige does exist, but it's in the eye of the beholder. Let me assure you with confidence that the name and 'prestige' of the medical school you go to will not impact remotely on your job applications or the chance of you getting a specialty training position. What matters is possible research and publications, audits and a strong enthusiasm and pro-active attitude toward specialties you're interested in.
azeemkhan13
Truth be told, Tooting does have a bad reputation but at the end of the day, it is South West London - it's not exactly the nicest part of London. It is a busy place but to be honest and you'll find that most people there will be interested in their own lives rather than yours or mine. Statistics show that crime is higher in Tooting than nationally but crime happens everywhere. Every town has its rough edges and Tooting certainly lives up to that so there's no point in me trying to paint Tooting as a place with riverside taverns or high-end department stores or boutique designer shops - it's the real world.
!MEna
Truth be told, Tooting does have a bad reputation but at the end of the day, it is South West London - it's not exactly the nicest part of London.

Tooting Broadway friday night :awesome:

I think the wealth of exquisite cuisine makes up for it's failings. Plus the med school ain't half bad :p:
crazyferret
Tooting Broadway friday night :awesome:
Yeh my plan is to :creep: my way back and if that doesn't work I'll be like :adore: and if that doesn't work I'll either be :broken: or :backstab: and probably :rip:.

crazyferret
I think the wealth of exquisite cuisine makes up for it's failings. Plus the med school ain't half bad :p:
...and the pubs! :teeth:
Reply 18
!MEna
Yeh my plan is to :creep: my way back and if that doesn't work I'll be like :adore: and if that doesn't work I'll either be :broken: or :backstab: and probably :rip:.

...and the pubs! :teeth:

Physician, heal thyself :p:
crazyferret
any favourites?
Not yet! I'll have to try 'em all before I choose my local. Anyway, on the day of my interview I was told that the medics get 10% discounts around the quotient of pubs around SGUL so it's a win-win either way haha!

(I hope they were serious and not just saying that though! :puppyeyes:)

Latest