The Student Room Group

raf aptitude test!

Hey iv got my aptitude test 3rd june,
two things really they gave me some practice questions but does anyone no where i can find some more examples.
Also how strict is it, is their a strict pass/fail mark???

Scroll to see replies

my cousin recently did his, overall he did amazingly well
he failed because he got a 4 in a section where his trade required a 5
some advice, look at what the requirements are for your trade and make sure you know those sections inside out :smile:
Reply 2
There is an armed forces section in the careers section, post there, they could help you.
Reply 3
The required score for the various branches are not generally available to the public, and to be honest it shouldn't be an issue of numbers. You'll go in and do the test (designed to test your natural ability) and either pass or fail. You've either got it or you haven't.

Do a search in the Armed Forces section and you'll find many threads like this one all asking the same questions and being given the same links and advice. :smile:
The main thing to do is study as hard as you, even just practicing basic math skills such as factions, decimals, mulitpication will help. Use the practice papers they given you to practice. But it's not so much a pass and fail thing as there are some trades which require a low score then otherwise. I take the appitude test twice as i failed to get the score for the trade i wanted to do the first time, second time I got the score required
Go to this site http://www.how2become.co.uk/viewProduct.php?product_name=Royal_Air_Force order the disc it comes with practice question and lots of tips for interview and fitness, really helped me pass my appitude test
Don't buy anything. Use the resources here and linked from here and you'll be fine. Anything that is for sale is usually cobbled together from open sources you can find with only a little effort.
Reply 7
The pass/fail marks are incredibly strict but in terms of how difficult these marks are to attain depends on your branch choice. Your aptitude test will consist of around 20 computer-based tests designed to measure, amongst other things, your hand-eye coordination, mathematical ability, ability to interpret data, reaction speed and spatial awareness. Each of these tests has a different weighting for each branch choice. So, for example, if you're going for pilot then hand-eye coordination is a biggy aswell as maths and the ability to work under pressure at high speed. Sounds scary, but everyone finds it hard so don't worry!

I would recommend, whatever you're going for, that you practise quick mental arithmetic (brain trainer on the Nintendo DS is actually very good for this) and speed/distance/time calculations. There's a really good thread on this forum with a huge list of practise questions. DO THEM ALL.

I did my aptitude test in advance a couple of weeks ago so it's all still pretty fresh in my mind. Feel free to ask any questions!
glitterjen
The pass/fail marks are incredibly strict but in terms of how difficult these marks are to attain depends on your branch choice. Your aptitude test will consist of around 20 computer-based tests designed to measure, amongst other things, your hand-eye coordination, mathematical ability, ability to interpret data, reaction speed and spatial awareness. Each of these tests has a different weighting for each branch choice. So, for example, if you're going for pilot then hand-eye coordination is a biggy aswell as maths and the ability to work under pressure at high speed. Sounds scary, but everyone finds it hard so don't worry!

I would recommend, whatever you're going for, that you practise quick mental arithmetic (brain trainer on the Nintendo DS is actually very good for this) and speed/distance/time calculations. There's a really good thread on this forum with a huge list of practise questions. DO THEM ALL.

I did my aptitude test in advance a couple of weeks ago so it's all still pretty fresh in my mind. Feel free to ask any questions!

I think the OP is talking about the Airmen and Airwoman tests they have to do at the start of the application process. These are, of course, different to the ones we had to do at Cranwell.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/nextsteps/airmenairwomen.cfm
Reply 9
I have recently completed an aptitude test for the air league and got a score of 136 and it his higher than the minimum for pilot (which i cannott disclose because the document it comes on is restricted) However dont look at the minimum needed because that will get you no where because if you want to be competative you need to get a score well above that needed. Mine is only just competative but i have seen much higher.
Reply 10
You can't really tell people to 'try harder' when its pretty much based on natural ability.

Damn...will have to put 100% in now when I sit my aptitude tests at OASC!!
Reply 11
sgc3000000
I have recently completed an aptitude test for the air league and got a score of 136 and it his higher than the minimum for pilot (which i cannott disclose because the document it comes on is restricted) However dont look at the minimum needed because that will get you no where because if you want to be competative you need to get a score well above that needed. Mine is only just competative but i have seen much higher.

If you pass, you pass. Yes there is a mark that is considered 'competitive' but it varies (not by massive amounts though). If you're not competitve it's not the end of the world, it just helps if you are.
Hey how do you find out what the pass marks are for the branches? Are they really high?
Reply 13
You can probably find them somewhere. They're not unreasonable and to be honest, even if you do find them, they're just a number... Kinda hard to quantify if you don't know the max mark or how the tests are structured. Don't worry about things like pass marks! Just go there, do your best and hopefully it will pay off for you. Aptitude tests test you NATURAL ability, there is not a massive amount you can train for apart from DST calculations, which are covered in this forum.

(I'm sure someone else said pretty much the exact same thing as this further up the thread)
Veggiechic
Hey how do you find out what the pass marks are for the branches? Are they really high?

The test is scored out of 180. The cut off scores are as follows;

Pilot - 112
WSO - 100
ATC - 100
ABM - 100
IntO - 100
WSOp - 90

Obviously as mentioned above, these are the bare minimum and very different to what has already been referred to as a "competitive score".
McLovin'5000
The test is scored out of 180. The cut off scores are as follows;

Pilot - 112
WSO - 100
ATC - 100
ABM - 100
IntO - 100
WSOp - 90

Obviously as mentioned above, these are the bare minimum and very different to what has already been referred to as a "competitive score".

Sorry, I don't know what some of those stand for.
Thanks for the info
Apologies...

WSO - Weapon Systems Officer
ATC - Air Traffic Control
ABM - Aerospace Battle Manager
IntO - Intelligence Officer
WSOp - Weapon Systems Operator

Are you applying at the moment?
McLovin'5000
Apologies...

WSO - Weapon Systems Officer
ATC - Air Traffic Control
ABM - Aerospace Battle Manager
IntO - Intelligence Officer
WSOp - Weapon Systems Operator

Are you applying at the moment?

My main one will be training officer (haven't applied yet) Backups are admin officer and possibly logistics officer
Well then - you have nothing to fret about - those Branches are not reliant upon aptitude test scores.
ProStacker
Well then - you have nothing to fret about - those Branches are not reliant upon aptitude test scores.

What?? Then how come I will have to do them as part of OASC? Just to make me squirm?? :redface: Well that's good news anyway, I was fretting about them already. I've been doing some practice questions I've found online and I'm not that great at them, I get all flustered!

Quick Reply

Latest