The Student Room Group

Second prelims..

So highers begin next friday..:eek: and i was just wondering if there were any others out there like me:
My first English prelim went really well and i managed a A. The second one didn't go so well-I did still manage an A but I was only JUST on the mark- and it has knocked my confidence a bit.
Just wondered is anyone else in/ or has been in that situation-where second prelims havent gone so well and freaked you out slightly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OP with two As in your Higher prelims you have nothing to worry about. Even if you had a disaster exam I'm sure you'd get an appeal.

Just got my Advanced Higher math 2nd prelim mark back today. In the first prelim I got a B (64% I think, not sure) and in the second I got... 46%. So I'm more than slightly freaked out. Study, study, study for me!
This happened to me last year with chemistry and physics. It was a bit of a blow, but if you've done well in the first prelim you know you can do better and hopefully go on to do so in the exam!
G8D
She actually got 5 A's in the prelims.. :/

Yes, but she got 2 As in her prelims for maths.

EDIT: Er, English. Sorry, I've got maths on the brain.
Reply 4
Two As in her Higher English prelims. Therefore totally nothing to worry about.

Where did she say she got 5 As? I don't see that in her post. If so that's great by the way. Well done!
lynseyx
I don't see that in her post.

I think he knows the OP IRL.
G8D
This is true but English is all she mentioned in this thread.

See edit. (Sorry for double post, but given that I was slow with the edit the first time!)
Reply 7
lynseyx
Two As in her Higher English prelims. Therefore totally nothing to worry about.

Where did she say she got 5 As? I don't see that in her post. If so that's great by the way. Well done!

:smile: thankyou!
Ermm G8D is in my year at school that is how he knows btw:rolleyes:
Reply 8
TheUnbeliever
I think he knows the OP IRL.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too.
Reply 9
G8D
second prelims can really throw you if you thought you were doing well and it turns out.. You weren't :frown:

Definately. My maths disaster has made me realise I rely on the textbook too much. I know what kind of question it is but I just look up the book for the steps to find the answer. Don't do this people! Learn from my mistake and actually memorise how to do things! :yep:
Reply 10
lynseyx
Definately. My maths disaster has made me realise I rely on the textbook too much. I know what kind of question it is but I just look up the book for the steps to find the answer. Don't do this people! Learn from my mistake and actually memorise how to do things! :yep:

That happens for me in modern studies :frown: all the facts, figures, percentages and reasons for and against. I just cannot remember them all.. And we get essay questions every day but we're allowed the answers in front of us so the temptation is too strong to ignore.
Reply 11
Emzzzz:)x
That happens for me in modern studies :frown: all the facts, figures, percentages and reasons for and against. I just cannot remember them all.. And we get essay questions every day but we're allowed the answers in front of us so the temptation is too strong to ignore.

Oh the evil that is higher modern studies! The exam is soooo unfair! It should be a test of knowledge not of how fast you can write! What I did for revising modern studies was just write down all the facts I needed to remember for each section and just went over and over them until I remembered them. If you know the facts the for/against stuff will be obvious due to the facts.
Reply 12
Thankyou! My teacher's said learn your essays and you'll be fine. But, apart from the fact there's lots of essays we've already done, there's some we haven't done. Then there's all the strangely worded ones and whatever..:frown:
Reply 13
Teacher said to learn your essays?! All my teachers say the exact opposite! If you just learn essays then you might not know facts not to do with those essays and if that comes up you could do really badly!
Reply 14
Yeah I did think that so I've not taken that advice. Im just trying to read all of the notes and stuff over, memorising, writing it down etc etc..
lynseyx

I mean no offense, but what I find best is to try and understand things and what you need to do works, it's easier to remember that way if you can figure it out.

Obviously doesn't apply for all of it but it does for a lot.
Reply 16
Meteorshower
I mean no offense, but what I find best is to try and understand things and what you need to do works, it's easier to remember that way if you can figure it out.

Obviously doesn't apply for all of it but it does for a lot.

Yeah, obviously understanding is crutial as well! Thing is I understand it all, as soon as he explained I was like "I get this" but when I went in I couldn't remember what to do for say, finding the intersection of a point and a vector.
I suppose it is true, to an extent, that second prelims can knock your confidence. I think it is also how you deal with this failure to achieve what you expected. For me it was incredibly useful; having a somewhat ironic effect I suppose. Just makes you focus a bit more.

On a seperate issue... does anyone know how appeals work? I got two band one A's in my prelims, so would I be entitled to an appeal, and what do you think would be the outcome, if I did not perform well next Friday. Purely hypothetical but I'm interested to know how these work? Thanks:biggrin:
Reply 18
I'd say that with two band one A's an appeal is likely, especially if your teacher has more timed essays to back this up with. I don't have experience of English appeals but in maths I got a B originally and had it appealed to an A with two low/mid As in the prelims. Obviously though english and maths are different. But band one A's seems more than enough to me!
Thanks... Hoping it won't come to that but was interested to know what the chances are. Good luck with your exams!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending