The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Paulwhy
There is a link from the 1st post inthis thread...

Dougherty was the first book I learnt from as well. So I don't have much of an alternative.

I suggest you investigate which uni will support you best as you have no econometrics background. e.g. will they let you have undergraduate teaching materials over the summer? What provision of help is there during the course?

this is obviously a key point but in general, ceteris paribus if you will, notts or birmingham? or is there no major difference worth noting
Reply 221
DaddyT
this is obviously a key point but in general, ceteris paribus if you will, notts or birmingham? or is there no major difference worth noting

To be honest I have noted the key point: how good are they ar change management.
How hard is MSc Finance at Warwick if you don't mind me asking?

From what I've seen, the modules look overly quant/stats based which is not my strong point at all. I've been made conditional offer on attending econometrics course at LSE summer school which scares me a bit.

I've compared the course with one offered by LSE (i'm waitlisted there) and it seems that it's more flexible and easygoing at LSE as you only need up to A Level maths to survive the course.

Can I survive the course at Warwick with poor maths background? I'm willing to somewhat work on it in the summer though.

PS. I know this is an econ thread but I just though i'll ask since it deals with warwick.
Reply 223
verticalforce
How hard is MSc Finance at Warwick if you don't mind me asking?

From what I've seen, the modules look overly quant/stats based which is not my strong point at all. I've been made conditional offer on attending econometrics course at LSE summer school which scares me a bit.

I've compared the course with one offered by LSE (i'm waitlisted there) and it seems that it's more flexible and easygoing at LSE as you only need up to A Level maths to survive the course.

Can I survive the course at Warwick with poor maths background? I'm willing to somewhat work on it in the summer though.

PS. I know this is an econ thread but I just though i'll ask since it deals with warwick.

What is your background?
Paulwhy
What is your background?

Accounting and Finance at Lancaster with an A in Scottish Higher Maths.

We do compulsory stats modules in first and second year but that's about it. Some elementary calculus (expected just to understand and not derive them) in a couple of finance modules.
Reply 225
verticalforce
Accounting and Finance at Lancaster with an A in Scottish Higher Maths.

We do compulsory stats modules in first and second year but that's about it. Some elementary calculus (expected just to understand and not derive them) in a couple of finance modules.

I don't have inside knowledge of the Msc finance: WBS is a totally different department in a different building taught by different lecturers. But I knew a few people who took the course as students and they all said that the econometrics was the hardest bit.
I don't know how much econometrics when they had done finance at undergrad. But your background does sound a bit minimal. I think a lot of students find msc finance a struggle. So you would not be a lone!

verticalforce
From what I've seen, the modules look overly quant/stats based which is not my strong point at all

What is your strong point then?
Why do you want to do an msc in finance?
Paulwhy
I don't have inside knowledge of the Msc finance: WBS is a totally different department in a different building taught by different lecturers. But I knew a few people who took the course as students and they all said that the econometrics was the hardest bit.
I don't know how much econometrics when they had done finance at undergrad. But your background does sound a bit minimal. I think a lot of students find msc finance a struggle. So you would not be a lone!

What is your strong point then?
Why do you want to do an msc in finance?

Only purpose is to get into FO banking tbh. With a degree from Lancaster all I can get is interview invites for BOs and Big4s.

I don't know if it's worth splurging the money on the masters considering that everything is a bit uncertain anyway, I'll probably just find a job if LSE and Cambridge rejects me.

No idea what is my strong point but i guess Warwick like my app enough to give an offer. Probably because of the academic award I won in second year which makes me feel like a fraud as I'm not that clever at all, but for some reason I'm pretty good at taking exams. :o:
Reply 227
I'm waiting for a reply from one school(So I can make a final decision).

I applied about 3 or 4 weeks ago, do you think it's rude to send an email to the admission office to ask the status of the application since that school is a main deciding factor?
Just got an email from Warwick saying that they've agreed on £20,500 as the tuition fees for MSc Finance 2010/2011.

Wtf man, that is so expensive. :woo:
Reply 229
jthb
I'm waiting for a reply from one school(So I can make a final decision).

I applied about 3 or 4 weeks ago, do you think it's rude to send an email to the admission office to ask the status of the application since that school is a main deciding factor?

Asking sounds very reasonable to me! :smile:
Reply 230
verticalforce
Just got an email from Warwick saying that they've agreed on £20,500 as the tuition fees for MSc Finance 2010/2011.

Wtf man, that is so expensive. :woo:

Yes a lot of money but for some people it will turn out to be a good investment.
Paulwhy

Dougherty was the first book I learnt from as well. So I don't have much of an alternative.

Hey Paulwhy

Do you think Dougherty's book offer sufficient background for Econometrics B for MSc Economics at Warwick?
Reply 232
Phdaspirant
Hey Paulwhy

Do you think Dougherty's book offer sufficient background for Econometrics B for MSc Economics at Warwick?

Ideally want more:
1)a 2nd book for the 2nd half of introductary econometrics.
e.g. Gujarrati or Maddala
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/modules/2nd/ec226

2) books from a 2nd undergraduate (i.e. 3rd year) econometrics course. e.g. verbeek
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/ug/modules/3rd/ec306
unilever03
Thats annoying, fees on the website are 18360... pretty big jump - closing on lse prices. You don't happen to know if it applies to the MSc Finance and Economics programme do you?

No idea if it applies to F&E as well as I was emailed by the admission officer for MSc Finance....

But both programme are under the business school so if the old fees are the same(?), chances are they'll increase the fees for F&E as well...
does anyone know how good the employment rates are of msc economics graduates in warwick?
Reply 235
Maybe someone can help me here, I've got an offer from Edinburgh to do Msc Economics.

I am also considering York and Nottingham. Since I am from overseas I don't have the opportunity to visit the place to check it out so I hope you can help me make a decision.

Is anyone here doing Msc Economics or similar @ Edinburgh or similar?

Anyone in the position to "judge" Edinburgh, Notts or York?
Reply 236
jthb
Maybe someone can help me here, I've got an offer from Edinburgh to do Msc Economics.

I am also considering York and Nottingham. Since I am from overseas I don't have the opportunity to visit the place to check it out so I hope you can help me make a decision.

Im afraid im not the best of help in this department, Paul will give you a more comprehensive answer.

As far as i'm aware all three are very reputable in general but as far as economics goes i think Nottingham is the most respected.
jthb

Based on RAE 2008, Notts -> Edinburgh -> York
Reply 238
Just got an offer today :woo:
still waiting to hear from UCL though :s-smilie:
Stephennn
Offer

If I may ask from whom did you receive an offer and what is your profile?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending