The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by bbjaylive
Anyone have any idea if as a 2.2 Mechanical Engineering Graduate for Notts I would be able to get on the Diploma program for Warwick, and if not was is the best I could hope for?

Yes, you have a chance, although the chance may be quite small...

I remember in Warwick's MSc Economics/International Economics admission report, there are 2 or 3 people with 2:2 got admitted...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 381
Original post by Tarutaru
Yes, you have a chance, although the chance may be quite small...

I remember in Warwick's MSc Economics/International Economics admission report, there are 2 or 3 people with 2:2 got admitted...

Thanks for the reply. Do you reckon I should look into doing a GRE or some other kind of external examination, in order to strengthen a potential application?
hii...I have received an offer from Warwick for Msc. Economics and International Financial Economics for Sept2011. However, i have some questions regarding the course.
1. Since its only 3 years old, should it affect my decision of pursuing it?
2. which is better in terms of demand and reputation- Msc.economics or Msc.Economics ad International Financial Economics?
3. What are the job prospects?

Please, help me with removing this confusion over Msc.Economics and Msc.economics and International Financial Economics. Any help would be appreciated.

thankyou
Reply 383
hey guys i got couple questions if you could help i would be forever grateful;

Ok so i would love to apply for warwick & co but their tuition fees is just too high and my dad just said NO...so thats a no go area for me.

I was then looking at cheaper uni's and i really am a fan of Southampton's list of modules that are available, how would you rate soton? i haven't seen anyone really comment on soton so i can't judge if it is worth me going there.

Also if you know other uni's that are good but not as pricey as Warwick & co that you would recommend could you please tell me!!

Thanks

edit: oh yeah i'm applying for MSc Economics...but with the intentions of changing it to Economics and Econometrics but i want to get my grade in econometrics first once i graduate to see if i really want to study econometrics in such detail
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by jus-mi
hey guys i got couple questions if you could help i would be forever grateful;

Ok so i would love to apply for warwick & co but their tuition fees is just too high and my dad just said NO...so thats a no go area for me.

I was then looking at cheaper uni's and i really am a fan of Southampton's list of modules that are available, how would you rate soton? i haven't seen anyone really comment on soton so i can't judge if it is worth me going there.

Also if you know other uni's that are good but not as pricey as Warwick & co that you would recommend could you please tell me!!

Thanks

edit: oh yeah i'm applying for MSc Economics...but with the intentions of changing it to Economics and Econometrics but i want to get my grade in econometrics first once i graduate to see if i really want to study econometrics in such detail

Just a note that unless you've done econometrics involving matrices before, you won't be able to do Economics and Econometrics at Southampton.

Those on Economics and Econometrics have to take Econometrics I and Econometrics II as opposed to Quantitative Methods, and the module content for each is the following:

Econometrics I
Multiple Regression; Testing; Diagnostics (Mainly Revision)
Statistical Models, Likelihood, Sufficiency
Exponential Family
Asymptotic Theory, Edgeworth and Saddlepoint Approximations
Theory of Hypothesis Testing, Neyman-Pearson Lemma, Optimal Tests
Empirical Likelihood
Multivariate Linear Models (SUR, SEM)
Identification Issues

Econometrics II
Asymptotic theory (law of large numbers, ergodic theorem, Central Limit Theorem) with applications to the linear regression model
Bootstrapping
Extensions to nonlinear specifications (structural breaks, threshold effects)
Robust estimation and inference: Nonparametrics and semiparametrics
Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) estimation and testing
Nonstationary time Series: Unit roots and cointegration
Near unit root asymptotics

Reference materials for Econometrics I and II are:
D.R. Cox and D.V. Hinkley, Theoretical Statistics, Chapman and Hall, 1974
O.E. Barndorff-Nielsen and D.R. Cox, Asymptotic Techniques for Use in Statistics, Chapman and
Hall, 1989.
O.E. Barndorff-Nielsen and D.R. Cox, Inference and Asymptotics, Chapman and Hall (1994),
B McCabe and A Tremayne, Elements of Modern Asymptotic theory with
Statistical Applications, Manchester University Press, 1993.
A Zaman, Statistical Foundations for Econometric Techniques, Academic
Press, 1996
Hamilton, J.D., Time Series Analysis, Princeton University Press, 1994.
Hayashi, F., Econometrics, Princeton University Press, 2000.
References to journal articles and additional texts will be provided during the module.

There are a number of good universities that offer affordable postgraduate courses. You should also have a look at Nottingham, Bristol, and York.
Reply 385
Original post by .ACS.
Just a note that unless you've done econometrics involving matrices before, you won't be able to do Economics and Econometrics at Southampton.

Those on Economics and Econometrics have to take Econometrics I and Econometrics II as opposed to Quantitative Methods, and the module content for each is the following:

Econometrics I
Multiple Regression; Testing; Diagnostics (Mainly Revision)
Statistical Models, Likelihood, Sufficiency
Exponential Family
Asymptotic Theory, Edgeworth and Saddlepoint Approximations
Theory of Hypothesis Testing, Neyman-Pearson Lemma, Optimal Tests
Empirical Likelihood
Multivariate Linear Models (SUR, SEM)
Identification Issues

Econometrics II
Asymptotic theory (law of large numbers, ergodic theorem, Central Limit Theorem) with applications to the linear regression model
Bootstrapping
Extensions to nonlinear specifications (structural breaks, threshold effects)
Robust estimation and inference: Nonparametrics and semiparametrics
Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) estimation and testing
Nonstationary time Series: Unit roots and cointegration
Near unit root asymptotics

Reference materials for Econometrics I and II are:
D.R. Cox and D.V. Hinkley, Theoretical Statistics, Chapman and Hall, 1974
O.E. Barndorff-Nielsen and D.R. Cox, Asymptotic Techniques for Use in Statistics, Chapman and
Hall, 1989.
O.E. Barndorff-Nielsen and D.R. Cox, Inference and Asymptotics, Chapman and Hall (1994),
B McCabe and A Tremayne, Elements of Modern Asymptotic theory with
Statistical Applications, Manchester University Press, 1993.
A Zaman, Statistical Foundations for Econometric Techniques, Academic
Press, 1996
Hamilton, J.D., Time Series Analysis, Princeton University Press, 1994.
Hayashi, F., Econometrics, Princeton University Press, 2000.
References to journal articles and additional texts will be provided during the module.

There are a number of good universities that offer affordable postgraduate courses. You should also have a look at Nottingham, Bristol, and York.

Thanks for the super fast response!!! yeah i think i will stick to str8 econ because although i'm doing really good in econometrics this year i don't know think i will be doing just as good next year lol although i might change my mind. .....oh yeah York i'll have a look at them, i'd already looked at Bristol but didn't like the modules they were offering. Looks like i might be heading over to soton.

Thanks for the response
Reply 386
Hi

How much does first year grades matter? I moved abroad for my undergraduate degree, had never lived by my own before, and it was quite a big change for me and it affected my studies. Yeah, it's my responsibility, but it sure did :frown: I have improved a lot in second year, which I am currently in.

My degree is in Finance and economics with a minor in business (2/3 Finance/economics, 1/3 Business). Is this a good combination? I'd like to do either Msc Finance, Finance and economics, or economics. Where would I have the best shot at getting admitted?

Also, if you don't have the necessary grades after second year, can you then still be admitted if you apply after your third year? I'm expecting a high 2.1 or a low first class honours in Finance/economics this year, and a 2.1 (60-65 %) in Business as well

What is most important: Micro or macro economics? Next year, we'll have a couple of elective courses, and we can choose to do advanced micro or advanced macro (or both). We can also do advanced quantitative methods, derivatives, political economy and a couple of other things.

I'm studying at NUI Maynooth - not exactly an elite university, but hopefully good enough :smile:

/John
Reply 387
Original post by John G
Hi

How much does first year grades matter? I moved abroad for my undergraduate degree, had never lived by my own before, and it was quite a big change for me and it affected my studies. Yeah, it's my responsibility, but it sure did :frown: I have improved a lot in second year, which I am currently in.

My degree is in Finance and economics with a minor in business (2/3 Finance/economics, 1/3 Business). Is this a good combination? I'd like to do either Msc Finance, Finance and economics, or economics. Where would I have the best shot at getting admitted?

Also, if you don't have the necessary grades after second year, can you then still be admitted if you apply after your third year? I'm expecting a high 2.1 or a low first class honours in Finance/economics this year, and a 2.1 (60-65 %) in Business as well

What is most important: Micro or macro economics? Next year, we'll have a couple of elective courses, and we can choose to do advanced micro or advanced macro (or both). We can also do advanced quantitative methods, derivatives, political economy and a couple of other things.

I'm studying at NUI Maynooth - not exactly an elite university, but hopefully good enough :smile:

/John

Certaintly good enough for warwick but not for other top economic departments. YOu have taken too many non-maths modules. If possible, I would suggest you to take as many maths/stat modules as you can this year and stop taking any accounting and business modules.
Reply 388

Certaintly good enough for warwick but not for other top economic departments. YOu have taken too many non-maths modules. If possible, I would suggest you to take as many maths/stat modules as you can this year and stop taking any accounting and business modules.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm interested in Warwick so what other schools may think is less relevant.

In my course, I am going to take 15 credits in quantitative methods and 10 credits in econometrics - plus several other courses that are high in mathematic content. Stop taking business modules is not an option I'm afraid, I'm doing a minor in that subject, it was decided early in first year and cannot unfortunately be changed :frown: Accounting however I'm not doing anymore, just did that first year because it was mandatory.

Also, how important are your first year grades, compared to second and third? Third year grades are all that matter in Ireland where I study (unless your second year grades are higher than your third). I know you apply on your second year grades and are given like a conditional offer or something (you are offered a place on the condition that you keep up your results), but ultimately isn't it mainly the third year results which decide whether you get a place?

/John
Reply 389
Original post by John G
Hi and thanks for the reply. I'm interested in Warwick so what other schools may think is less relevant.

In my course, I am going to take 15 credits in quantitative methods and 10 credits in econometrics - plus several other courses that are high in mathematic content. Stop taking business modules is not an option I'm afraid, I'm doing a minor in that subject, it was decided early in first year and cannot unfortunately be changed :frown: Accounting however I'm not doing anymore, just did that first year because it was mandatory.

Also, how important are your first year grades, compared to second and third? Third year grades are all that matter in Ireland where I study (unless your second year grades are higher than your third). I know you apply on your second year grades and are given like a conditional offer or something (you are offered a place on the condition that you keep up your results), but ultimately isn't it mainly the third year results which decide whether you get a place?

/John

I have no idea as I had pretty good grades in my first year. Just apply and see, they will take into account the difference in education system when they make decisions. But you should realize that your transcript contains your first year grades. It won't look good to the admission tutors if your first year grades were very bad.
Reply 390

I have no idea as I had pretty good grades in my first year. Just apply and see, they will take into account the difference in education system when they make decisions. But you should realize that your transcript contains your first year grades. It won't look good to the admission tutors if your first year grades were very bad.

They weren't horrible, just far below my capacity. I had a (low) upper seond class honours in economics, a high upper second class honours in finance (only did one course, corporate finance, got 67), and an upper second class honours (average 64 %) in business. The real trouble was accounting, which we had to do first year, where I just barely passed on average.
Reply 391
Okay, so I called WBS and it seems like I should have a decent shot. They said my program does fulfill the requirements and said a business minor was absolutely not negative (I don't know if that means it's a positive, but it's good to know). They also said that they would look mainly at my latest grades (ie, third year is more important than second and second more than first). Also, it didn't seem like a problem that I hadn't done any pure math courses, only applied math (she only pointed out that the program must contain statistics - which it does). So overall good news, only bad news is that - if I got this right - they didn't accept applications for 2012 until october this year. I was hoping I would be able to apply this summer and get to know quickly if I'm on the "right track". But I understand that they may want to deal with this year's applications before taking on next year's.

Also, she said there are about 900 applicants per year for Finance and economics and about 60 %, so it's a bit easier to get admitted than for pure finance. I wonder what it is for the economics programs?

Just wanted to give an update, maybe someone else may find the information useful as well :smile:
Original post by John G

Also, she said there are about 900 applicants per year for Finance and economics and about 60 %, so it's a bit easier to get admitted than for pure finance. I wonder what it is for the economics programs?

Just wanted to give an update, maybe someone else may find the information useful as well :smile:
The economics programs with the Econ department are definitely less competitive than WBS MSF/MSFE. This year MSFE we have 54 students, MSF probably have around 90...
Reply 393
Now, this economic diploma thing. Does one need any specific degree to go and do one? Can it be a non-quantitative one?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by Mustard-man
The economics programs with the Econ department are definitely less competitive than WBS MSF/MSFE. This year MSFE we have 54 students, MSF probably have around 90...

Here is the stat for those programs (2010) :

Warwick Msc Finance 2323 (application) 91 (enrolled) 3,9%

Warwick Msc finance and economics 743 (application) 54 (enrolled) 7.3%

Warwick Msc economics 65(application) 13 (enrolled) 20%

Obviously the most popular and selective one is Warwick Msc finance with a rate of 3,9%
Reply 395
Any stats for Economics with international financial economics? I took it Warwick was really good in that subject, international finance - like top ranked in the world. Or am I mistaken?
Reply 396
the stat for the Msc economics and international financial economics are as follow :

2010 : 316 (application) 30 (enrolled) 9,5%

it seems that its most popular than the Msc economics
Reply 397
Thanks. 9.5 %, that's a decent shot at least. I imagine not all applicants are serious. At least I'll be doing advanced macro and micro at an undergraduate level :smile: They said that was important, "do as much macro and micro as you can".

I'm sure someone said Warwick was top ranked in international finance, right? Or did I get it wrong? In that case, I guess they're kind of good in international financial economics too :smile:
Reply 398
Original post by Borisvian
Here is the stat for those programs (2010) :

Warwick Msc Finance 2323 (application) 91 (enrolled) 3,9%

Warwick Msc finance and economics 743 (application) 54 (enrolled) 7.3%

Warwick Msc economics 65(application) 13 (enrolled) 20%

Obviously the most popular and selective one is Warwick Msc finance with a rate of 3,9%

Only 65 people applying to the MSc Economics ? O_o you msut be joking. It should be about 100 students enrolled every year.
Reply 399
Oh my god... you are right... I am so shock that Warwick has become so unpopular and glad that I rejected Warwick last year :P

I thought that Warwick Economic Department has the largest study body among the top economic departments but it is not!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending