The Student Room Group

Msc Economics Admissions Guide (including a Warwick specific post)

Scroll to see replies

I think this post got overlooked so im posting again. Any help will be appreciated :smile:

Hi Paul,

Could you please tell me what taught modules are the most well taught in the Economics Masters program?

What faculty members are the most well known in their fields. I don't know much about academics from the UK or about the economics departments.

Comapred to a MSc Econ degree at LSE, where does the Warwick degree stand in terms of academics, course modules and general reputation?

Lastly, (sorry for so many questions!), are there any research projects that are currently going on in the department which Masters students can assist with?
Reply 42
curiouscase1986
Lastly, (sorry for so many questions!), are there any research projects that are currently going on in the department which Masters students can assist with?

Would be interested in that as well! Do any of you guys know if it is possible to get some TA or RA experience while doing MSc @ Warwick? Fits beautifully in the CV + extra $$ :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 43
curiouscase1986
I think this post got overlooked so im posting again. Any help will be appreciated :smile:

sorry for that

curiouscase1986
Hi Paul,

Could you please tell me what taught modules are the most well taught in the Economics Masters program?

Hard to say i.e. the lecturers change each year plus it is a few years since I did the course.

curiouscase1986
What faculty members are the most well known in their fields. I don't know much about academics from the UK or about the economics departments.

Well pretty much all the researchers are well known in their fields. But particularly well known academics include Oswald, Miller, Polemarchkis, Dutta, Taylor.

curiouscase1986
Comapred to a MSc Econ degree at LSE, where does the Warwick degree stand in terms of academics, course modules and general reputation

Warwick is good but yes LSE would have higher rep. But LSE does cost a lot more.

curiouscase1986

mateuszz
Would be interested in that as well! Do any of you guys know if it is possible to get some TA or RA experience while doing MSc @ Warwick? Fits beautifully in the CV + extra $$ :smile:

Thanks!

At Warwick with econ you can't be a TA or RA at msc level.
(need to be on PhD for that).
Hi Paul,

Your tips have been incredible..
I'm an international student with a BA in Economics from Stella Maris College Chennai (73%)and a PG Diploma in International Business (near top of my class) from Loyola Institute of Business Administration. I also have some work experience and good extra curriculars.

i was unable to apply early and was wondering if you could help me with my apps, im hyperventilating because its so late!! got rejected from Fordham University's IPED programme(i guess due to a lacklustre score in gre) im interested in applying for Msc international Economics / MA international political economy.
Would you comment on my chances of getting in Warwicks programme and any unis i should probably consider?
Reply 45
Paulwhy
If go to a moderate uni after I complete my degree will I be able to do a masters at a better uni?
The challenge is not getting offers. If you study econ at an AAA-AAB uni and are predicted a 2:1 or are at an ABB-BBB uni and are predicted a 1st I would expect you to get offers from Top 5 unis such as warwick. The constraint on applicants are financial not academic.
While this guide in general is great, I wouldn't agree with this when it comes to Oxford, Cambridge and LSE. LSE requires a first, and from my understanding exceptions to this are incredibly rare. Oxford and Cambridge usually require a first, and even then I've known people with good firsts get rejected from them.

To answer the question you pose, I'd say it's only a distinct yes, with regardes to Oxbridge/LSE, if you get a first. Though as you show with Warwick (and most other good places, to my knowledge) a 2:1 is ok.
Reply 46
Drogue
While this guide in general is great, I wouldn't agree with this when it comes to Oxford, Cambridge and LSE. LSE requires a first, and from my understanding exceptions to this are incredibly rare. Oxford and Cambridge usually require a first, and even then I've known people with good firsts get rejected from them.

To answer the question you pose, I'd say it's only a distinct yes, with regardes to Oxbridge/LSE, if you get a first. Though as you show with Warwick (and most other good places, to my knowledge) a 2:1 is ok.

Yes previously that was not great wording. I have added a new sentence that may make it better and hopefully does not make it worse.
If go to a moderate uni after I complete my degree will I be able to do a masters at a better uni?
The challenge is not getting offers. If you study econ at an AAA-AAB uni and are predicted a 2:1 or are at an ABB-BBB uni and are predicted a 1st I would expect you to get offers from Top 5 unis such as warwick. (Though note LSE and Oxbridge require (predicted) Firsts). However the constraint on applicants are financial not academic.

Issue is how well you do once you get there. The material taught at undergraduate varies as you go down the table and is no longer a good preparation for msc.

Also check out the Warick preliminary knowledge post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.ukshowthread.php?p=10923238#post10923238
Reply 47
Paulwhy
Yes previously that was not great wording. I have added a new sentence that may make it better and hopefully does not make it worse.

LSE in particular requires actual firsts - offers are contingent on it. I've had friends with offers turned away from LSE and Cambridge for getting a high 2:1. I think it'd be easiest to say "for most universities" then what you have, with a special sentance that says for these three, the constraint is both academic (getting a first and with top references) and financial (they're the most expensive).
Hi,

Some Unis say 90th percentile in quantitive part of GRE. Does that mean you have to score 800 out of 800? I'm asking since the GRE PREP software makes it look like 91th percentile starts (and ends lol) at 800?

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay found their statistics, 780Q is 90th percentile from 2004 to 2007.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/gre_0809_guide.pdf
how big of a deal is the presession math/stats course? there is an exam on this in the first week correct?
Reply 50
economicsessex
how big of a deal is the presession math/stats course? there is an exam on this in the first week correct?

see page 31.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/pg/econ/msc_handbook_2008-2009_-_master.pdf

So it is 5% of the total course.
And yes it is a big deal: it gives you the core maths to enable you to understand the rest of the msc.
Reply 51
I think I know who you really are Paul, see you around in Warwick next year. Your admission guide is very helpful!
Reply 52
im37
I think I know who you really are Paul, see you around in Warwick next year. Your admission guide is very helpful!

Have you had your final year exam results then?
i.e. in the Economics Department there are only 1st year results up but not the third year results.
Reply 53
Yes, it is in the university house, including the pass list of 1st year economist.
Reply 54
im37
Yes, it is in the university house, including the pass list of 1st year economist.

I will have to wonder over there then and see how the third students who took ME1 this year did.
If you are still around do you want to meet for coffee?
Reply 55
If I go by the HERO rankings, Essex has a 5* rating alongwith Warwick, UCL and LSE; what was the basis for this rank exactly?
Reply 56
shaina
If I go by the HERO rankings, Essex has a 5* rating alongwith Warwick, UCL and LSE; what was the basis for this rank exactly?

Ask HERO
Reply 57
:smile: Thanks Paul.
So i did my GRE and let ETS send it to Oxbridge, LSE and Warwick. Now, obviously i haven't applied yet, will the Universities be smart enough to understand i am going to apply in autumn? I.e. will they create a file for me and put my GRE scores in their or will they just delete them (lol)?

I'm asking since resending the scores costs $$$$.

FYI I got 800Q, 560V, AWA not known yet. :biggrin:
Reply 59
Rob L
So i did my GRE and let ETS send it to Oxbridge, LSE and Warwick. Now, obviously i haven't applied yet, will the Universities be smart enough to understand i am going to apply in autumn? I.e. will they create a file for me and put my GRE scores in their or will they just delete them (lol)?

I'm asking since resending the scores costs $$$$.

FYI I got 800Q, 560V, AWA not known yet. :biggrin:

I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending